SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Washing antique christening gown?

My first granddaughter is being baptized soon. I have the family christening gown that was first worn by my father in 1907. After that his 4 remaining siblings, and their children.

The outer gown is made of very very fine thin white cotton. It is embroidered with garlands of flowers with the tiniest stitches, and some strips of drawn-thread work. Strips of fine mesh lace are interspersed. There is a sleeveless undergown or slip, in eyelet, also embroidered. There is a cap that is embroidered, with satin ribbons to tie on. The “hand” is different on all the pieces, so I am sure they were not made as a set. Embroidery was not a skill in my dad’s family, so it must have been purchased in 1907, not made by the family.

Last person to “wear” it was my daughter. Though she was too big to fit it, we just laid it over her for the ceremony, and she wore a modern gown underneath. My son wore it before her: he was about half a pound smaller, and I don’t remember if he actually had it on, or it was just overlaid like we did for his younger sister. Babies in general are bigger now than they were a hundred + years ago.

When I told my son about it, he was very excited that his daughter would be the fourth generation to wear this piece of family history. I explained to my daughter in law that the baby – also a big baby - would not be able to actually wear it. She does not have a family gown, so liked the idea.

I literally have not looked at this gown since I packed it away after my daughter’s baptism. It was in a cardboard box lined with tissue paper, just the way my cousin gave it to me. I SHOULD have been storing it in an archival box. It’s just another SHOULD HAVE thing I “knew” without acting on it. Bad me, I know.

Anyway: I got it out, and am taking it to their house this week. I feel like I should hand wash it before taking it there. I don’t want her to put it in the washing machine, not knowing that that would be the wrong thing to do. It is not dirty, but she might think it is. She is a person who wants everything very clean. I have some Orvis quilt soap I can use.

It has a couple of issues:

- The front of the gown is yellowed where it touched the box. Is there anything I can do about this?

- There are some tiny tears near the neckline, where the fabric has pulled away on either side of one of the strips of drawn thread work. I can hand sew quite well, but ordinary thread is too thick to sew this! I would have to try to split a thread.

I would appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Comments (33)