SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
damarism__vazquez

Help me redo my kitchen on a budget!

D. Vzq
5 years ago
I am hoping to redo the look of my kitchen under 1k. I have attached pictures of the current look (disregard mess as I am removing old wallpaper). I also attached some inspo pictures to show the idea of what I am going with.

I have shorter ceilings in the house, but the kitchen is even a little shorter than the rest. I want to make it brighter so it looks a bit bigger. Here's some of what I have planned so far:
* adding wood overlay to the front of the cabinets to create the shaker cabinets look.
* paint base cabinets medium to dark gray and top cabinets white
* subway tile back splash in white
* possible moulding around window and remove portion above it now
* maybe leave countertops as is (maybe do the Giani resurface thing to a slightly darker gray)
* add modern brass hardware which I already purchased
* Paint surrounding walls white

I already have two new black appliances coming for microwave and fridge since those definitely need to be replaced.

I would love any input into this process from anyone who has done it before, any product suggestions, any money saving tips, any other ideas for the window area as I am not sure if my idea will work well. Also, can I or should I add any molding to the top of these cabinets? Any suggestions for the ceiling area? Lighting ideas? I haven't gotten so far on that yet.

Thank you!!

Comments (112)

• D. Vzq
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Lizzie Bennett Thank you so much! I absolutely love the changes you made and it really made a difference in the space. Thank you for the encouragement! I'm working on the space this weekend!

@decoenthusiaste thanks, I will look into that!

@RachelStout @LouiseMcCarthy Thank you! I am determined to get this done and hopefully can post some pics in the next couple of weeks.
  • gallagk
    5 years ago
    Because of your budget I see you’re not changing things that need changing to suit your design style-things like floors, counters, fixtures, appliances, paint, lighting. Note I did not mention cabinets. I’m not a fan of your bathroom diy project. A clear case that you are fighting with the house and the battle will continue with your diy kitchen project.
  • Related Discussions

Post Nashville floods need to redo kitchen on strict budget

Q

Comments (16)
    So sorry to hear about your family. I live in the Nashville area and was lucky enough to not have any damage. There is a Sears Outlet (aka "scratch and dent") on Thompson Lane near Nolensville Road. We purchased a freezer for the garage there, but sometimes they have things that have no damage, or the damage is a dent on a place where you can't see it. I would definitely look there. We used to have a Kenmore french door refrigerator that I loved (we sold it with our house when we sold) and am very happy with my Kenmore Elite DW. I hope you are able to get your family back in their home very soon!
    ...See More

Looking at options for kitchen redo on budget

Q

Comments (4)
    I remodeled a farm kitchen using craigslist and ebay items, and a few inexpensive cabinets from Lowe's. If you click on my username, you can find my threads and albums. Also, I'll link one of my all time favorite GW threads: Here is a link that might be useful: Recycled kitchens
    ...See More

Budgeting: If you had 30,000 to redo your kitchen. . .

Q

Comments (15)
    How do you find a kitchen designer? I dunno. I haven't found one that I've hired yet. I'm interviewing one Monday. This person was on a list that I got at the Master Builder's Association booth at a home show. We have also talked to acquaintances who have redone kitchens. The "word on the street" was very mixed on the KDs they used. One co-worker said, "best money I ever spent" (but he lost her contact info). Another said, "I gave her 1000 bucks and I don't think she did anything to earn it." (so not interviewing that one) Hence, I'm starting with a random name on a list. I do plan to check references. Before I started looking for "paid help", though, I posted floor plans on this forum, and I got a free cabinet quote from a lumberyard to give me a rough idea of what semi-custom cabinets would cost for my space. I also researched appliances on-line and peeked at my top choices at an appliance store. Website searches on things like "floor refinishing" and "replacement windows" gave me some vague ballpark estimates to plug into a preliminary budget. But, now that I have a layout that I like, and a feel for a couple big chunks of my budget, I need some help with dealing with the tons of little details and options. I want to have my materials options pretty well decided before I start interviewing contractors, because if each contractor fills in their own materials, then the bids won't be apples-to-apples comparisons. My advice would be to figure out as much as you can on your own or with stores that offer free advice before you consider paying someone else by the hour for help. As you do your research, keep asking around and maybe you'll come across some names. At the very least, if there is a builder's association for your area, you might be able to find a list like I did. Good luck.
    ...See More

Please Help Me Redo My Kitchen :)

Q

Comments (4)
    For quality for price, maybe start with Consumer Reports? They may not have the last word, but they do at least provide information and perspective. Your backsplash pattern is really nice, but black might overpower it, make it look weak. Maybe a softer, dark gray counter, moving to off-black in the way the lighter field is off-white? Or, since you love the black, keep looking for a backsplash + black counter combo that your husband would really like.
    ...See More
  • RedRyder
    5 years ago
    I agree 100% that you should do what you want in your house. However, painting over laminate is treacherous. Take one door to a paint store and get a professional opinion on your chances of a good outcome. Older laminate may NOT be able to take on paint that will last.

I think lighter on top and darker below will look fine. And new lighting really IS important. If you can save money on those, then use your funds to improve the countertop to something new that you like. And give great meals to all your helpers!
  • zmith
    5 years ago

I had a lengthy post drafted yesterday, hit the wrong button and POOF! it was gone. Then work interrupted my internetting...lol.

D. Vzq, I'm glad to hear you're abandoning the idea to add the shaker detail to the doors. I've done alot of DIY, and I've taken on some questionable projects. Many turned out great, others not so much. This one sounded like it would not look good in the end. I'm not begrudging your mission and end goal, tho. I sincerely want you to be successful with your kitchen updates. :)

• blondelle
    5 years ago
    There is another option. You can get white (least expensive) or other look laminate sheets and cut pieces to match your fronts, and use matching edge tape for the sides. You can have the pieces cut to size if you don't have the right tools. IKEA has some great stone look counters in greys and blacks. They even have a metallic grey one with stainless look edging. Great inexpensive sinks too.Would hold up much better than painting. Here's a link to the page I found with them. Also check out a place called cabinet shop there. Maybe they can help!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Formica+Brand+Laminate+004591258408000+Brite+White+Laminate,+Brite+White+Matte+https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079DX7DJG/ref=cm_sw_r_em_taa_y0qOBbGJDC4XF&oq=Formica+Brand+Laminate+004591258408000+Brite+White+Laminate,+Brite+White+Matte+https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079DX7DJG/ref=cm_sw_r_em_taa_y0qOBbGJDC4XF&aqs=chrome..69i57.3805j0j4&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

I too admire your willingness to take on this project. Perhaps if you find the cabinet doors will not take well to paint, you could ask your brother to cut new doors from furniture grade plywood or look for unfinished shaker doors to paint and replace the ones you have currently. Barker doors sells paint grade shaker doors for $14.95 ea. for a 30 X 15 door. A new faucet, if you can fit it into your budget, would also help upgrade the space.

You might consider removing the OTR microwave altogether since it is so close to the stove and replacing it with a hood vent. You could then add a small countertop microwave somewhere.

• Missi (4b IA)
    5 years ago

I hope you post pictures as you go along w/this. I like to see diy ideas, and I like to see how it goes w/small budgets. I feel you on the cost---I've been told numerous times not to even bother until I've saved up X amount of dollars b/c anything else would be worthless/pointless/ridiculous----except the X amount of dollars (which is considered "average" cost of kitchen redo) is more than we paid for our entire place! By $20k. To me, it's not smart to pay more than I make in two years on cabinets--and to then expect that those would even be "on the low side of middle of the road quality". Seriously?? You live there, we don't, so you're the one that should be happy there, I would think. Maybe I'm wrong on that..

• apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

See if someone you know, or a used cabinet place, has an old laminate door or drawer front for you to practice on. Not all laminate is the same, of course, but it will give you a head start on what kind of prep is needed. A countertop shop may have some scraps or inexpensive samples.

• Allan Knudsen
    5 years ago

My idea would be to sand the cabinet doors with very fine grain, prime them with a good primer and then add the paint of your desired color, which seems to be white and add the door knobs of your choice. That should be doable within your budget.

• Nothing Left to Say
    5 years ago

This is likely outside your budget, but a panel front slide out vent hood in place of the microwave would solve the what color should it be issue.

We used one in our last kitchen:

https://www.kitchensource.com/range-hoods/im-flushmount.htm

• D. Vzq
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @crl_ I have never seen that! It looks awesome honestly. My only issue is that I currently don't have much counterspace as is when my husband and I are cooking together. But I did get a smaller microwave, that the current one, so I'm hoping it will work better in the space. I am hoping to save a bit more money and maybe add a small island in the middle to get more counter space.

To the other supportive posters, my continued appreciation. I know I'm working with a limited budget, and I am not expecting Gordon Ramsay's kitchen out of this. I just want something a little nicer and for the space to feel a little more new. I have some not so pleasant memories of the space from before my current relationship (2nd marriage) and I would like to create some fresh new ones. That's all.
  • RenoGirl
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Given what you've already accomplished I'm sure you will be able to turn this into something you like much more than you obviously currently do. As this is now a commercially zoned lot, at this point theres no reason in saving it "as is" for someone with an affinity for MCM laminate cabinets in the future. That house will likely be torn down to make way for something commercial. You have to live with this kitchen...so turn it into a space you like living in. If that to you means painting the cabinets because thats all you can afford at the moment, then go for it. As a few have stated, painting laminate is not a fun job and may not last...my advice would be buy the BEST & STRONGEST adhering primer you can find- then I'd likely seal those cabinets with the strongest, hardest sealer you can find. I have used General Finishes Milk Paint with great results on wood and the laminated sides of cabinets in a bathroom when well primed and sealed with multiple coats of the same brand of sealer. Its been over a year with no chips or scratches...granted the front of my cabinets were wood. (You can look at my profile activity to see the end result for those if you want.) If it gives you a few years of use and not hating your kitchen before needing a redo and you've had that time to be able to save up to possibly afford something better, then it was worth it. Years ago I rented an apartment with the most hideous laminate counters ever. Every day I hated them. I happened to find some faux granite contac paper, bought 2 rolls and hid those hideous counters with a few hours of time and an exacto knife. It was SO much better and wore just fine for the entire time I was there. When I left, the manager asked if I would please leave it there instead of removing it, as it really improved the look of that small kitchen. My husband and I are now experienced DIYers and have renovated nearly our entire house ourselves....we had a much bigger budget than $1000 for our kitchen, but thats just where we are at. We've had rooms and projects we've completely changed for $1000 or less. Hard work, knowledge and searching out awesome deals is worth alot. The point is you have to start somewhere, and turning it into something you can live with and enjoy is worth something to you, and thats all that matters. Good luck and enjoy!

• D. Vzq
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Kristin Thank you so much for the recommendation. I will look further into that. I am currently doing tons of research regarding the primer and paint to put on the cabinets for best results. I know with laminate is hard, but I think we have the tools and assistance to make it happen. I currently like where I live because I am really close to my family, but I do work an hour away and the area we are in is really blooming, so the value of the home just for the lot, I know has gone up and will continue to. I already have a lot of equity in the home, even though we just purchased it (have been renting it for 10 years), because my parents pretty much sold it to us for less than half of the value (they wanted me to have my inheritance now). My goal is if we sell it some years down the road because our work conditions change, I can take the money from there, buy something more updated and our style and pay most of it from this home's proceed so we have minimum debt. We are not being cheap for the sake of it, we're being frugal because we want to pay off our debts and be more financially secure. Plus, I enjoy taking my time and doing this. As you can understand, part of the enjoyment and appreciation is knowing how much work and labor went into making the space personal.
    I am super excited to tackle this asap, thank you for the support!
  • Missi (4b IA)
    5 years ago

If I had laminate cabinets that I wanted to paint, I'd use Fusion Mineral Paint-they have a product called Ultra Grip-I bought it thinking I needed it for my kitchen cabinets b/c they had varnish on them, but I don't need it. You can use that Ultra Grip and then paint glass or metal. The paint has a resin in it also. There's a facebook page, Paint it Beautiful, and they've been helpful w/questions, and there's some amazing kitchen transformations as well. Anyway, that's my recommendation! I've looked on here but not seen much about the stuff, but from what I've seen on the FB group, that sold me. https://fusionmineralpaint.com/products/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/PaintItBeautiful/

• lesleycurl
    5 years ago

I've painted wood and laminate cabinets white before with pretty good results (some touch-up needed after years of use), but with your kitchen, I would like to add another vote for updating the hardware, removing the kitchen curtain, de-cluttering, changing out the kitchen light fixture, painting the walls, and maybe do some kind of backsplash and leaving the cabinets as they are. Look on Houzz for kitchens with similar tone and style wood/laminate kitchen cabinets to get some ideas of what you like and go from there.

• D. Vzq
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Missy Thank you very much for the recommendation of paint and especially the Facebook group! It will be awesome to see how other people are tackling their projects! Appreciated!
  • cookic
    5 years ago

D. Vzq, I'm glad you're going to attempt to change the cabinets for a lot of reasons you mentioned. I painted some non-wood kitchen cabinets twice, yellow then white. At the time I didn't even know primer existed and they lasted quite awhile. I even wallpapered a toilet tank after told "no way" by a lot of people. The last house, I replaced all the interior doors, then painted them all different colors to match the rooms. Resale? That house sold in 2 days. Bottom line is, love with what you live in. So far your home looks nice with what you've done. Even if you were to sell it in 5-10 years to someone who wanted to live in it, possibly they would gut the kitchen to fit their needs and you lived with an ugly (to you) kitchen for what? Go for it!

• User
    5 years ago

Yes...I have painted laminate kitchen cabinets. We moved into our first house and I absolutely hated the laminate cabinets. Hated...

Keep in mind that this was back in the 80's when paint was just paint...I did it myself with four little ones to take care of. I sanded, then used a primer and then painted. It held up amazingly well.

I would say, as a work of caution, that the few nicks I did get were from nails/rings grabbing the handles. This wouldn't have happened if I had used handles with backplates, so that might be something to consider. I know it sounds like an old fashioned look, but there are sleek and modern ones that add to the look (and since you're no longer doing shaker, you might like the extra "oomph" a backplate would give)...

I agree with others about creativity and budget. It CAN be done, and it won't look like hack job if done carefully (it sounds like you know what you're doing as far as research)

Other than the cabinets, I might consider a butcher block counter. They hold up very well when treated with the right stuff. Ikea lovers adore them. Plus it will bring some warmth to the space. And now, since your'e not doing the shaker trim..you can use the money saved to go toward buying them..

Subway tile, because of the popularity, is very very inexpensive. Tiling a backsplash is easy.

That's how I would spend 1000....

Please keep us updated with various steps......some of us are cheering you on to do what it takes to make your kitchen a place you will love.

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago
    You have done an amazing job with the rest of your house and can only imagine that whatever you do in the kitchen will be the same. As another home decorating DIYer I know what a little imagination and a lot of hard work can accomplish. Having family with their own expertise helps. I always look outside the box, look at a lot of pictures and ask questions but do what I like. My husband likes to paint and do woodwork so that helps. If I draw or show him a picture and give him basic dimensions he comes up with something that works. It may not be perfect but it has a lot of heart. My house has always been a work in progress. Done when we have time and money or just when I run across something I really love. I've been known to do a 180 on design because I found something I really loved that was too good a deal to pass up. Example our main bath remodel changed when I found a close out 49" Carrara marble bath vanity top for $100. my mind never went that direction because I knew I couldn't afford it. My husband likes to say our house is a all Re-use, re-purpose, re-cycle.
  • apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

Please post an update when you are ready.

• hjk73
    5 years ago

Please do not attempt to turn these cabinets into shaker cabs. The flat panel cabinets are a great modern look, and the best part about the kitchen.

• motupeg
    5 years ago
    Following
  • D. Vzq
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I wanted to post this when it's finished, but figured since I've had a few things come up in the meantime, I would at least post a progress photo.
    We thought the lights around the window didn't work, but apparently, they do! So that was a nice thing to discover.
    Next on my list is the microwave thats coming (we decided to switch the color and do a white low profile so it blends with the top cabinets), backsplash and moulding around the window, new finish for the sink, and maybe do the countertops (I'm waiting to see how it looks in the end). I have picked a more modern brass light for the kitchen as well as under cabinet lighting. So far, I'm coming way under budget which has been really nice, plus we did a garage sale and put the proceeds towards this which makes it even better. I will post final pictures (hoping to be done by end of October), but so far I am loving the transformation and so has everyone who has come into my house. I am super happy I did it. It was quite a bit of work and 2 full days just for the cabinets, but to me, totally worth it.
  • D. Vzq
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I wanted to post this when it's finished, but figured since I've had a few things come up in the meantime, I would at least post a progress photo.
    We thought the lights around the window didn't work, but apparently, they do! So that was a nice thing to discover.
    Next on my list is the microwave thats coming (we decided to switch the color and do a white low profile so it blends with the top cabinets), backsplash and moulding around the window, new finish for the sink, and maybe do the countertops (I'm waiting to see how it looks in the end). I have picked a more modern brass light for the kitchen as well as under cabinet lighting. So far, I'm coming way under budget which has been really nice, plus we did a garage sale and put the proceeds towards this which makes it even better. I will post final pictures (hoping to be done by end of October), but so far I am loving the transformation and so has everyone who has come into my house. I am super happy I did it. It was quite a bit of work and 2 full days just for the cabinets, but to me, totally worth it.
  • Ellen
    5 years ago
    I'm late to the game here but consider white lacquer. I lacquered some laminate cabinets black for my son and it has not come off. I followed online directions. Bought a cheap air gun system. First sand then shellac then spray with lacquer. I tinted it myself with a powder tint. Messy but the result worked for him. I did the job in 2012. Still good. Easy to clean too. I did the frames in place with spray lacquer. Total cost was maybe $200? New stainless handles bought in Ikea clearance room. But you have the handles! Sorry I don't have a photo!
  • apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

Good for you. If you want more change, rent a professional scrubber and clean the floor tiles. Paint the grout the same color as the tiles, then seal.

Here are some good before-and-afters, randomly chosen:

https://lovescarpetcleaning.com/tile-and-grout-cleaning/ 

http://dougsmightyclean.com/tile-grout-cleaning/

• User
    5 years ago

Beautiful job! I still think butcher block counters would look lovely in there...maybe price them out at least?

And the fluorescent light is easy to change out...

I would not refinish a kitchen sink. They take too much abuse (I actually wouldn't refinish any kind of sink or tub...they don't last)...You can probably score a stainless one on CL or Habitat for Humanity Re-store.

Good call on the white microwave...I wouldn't have thought that way but you're absolutely right.

Anyway---GO YOU!!! :)

• D. Vzq
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you Apple and Penny for your suggestions! I am definitely considering the grout cleanup. I know that would really make a difference.
  • Nothing Left to Say
    5 years ago

That’s great! You’ve been working hard. So glad you are thrilled with the transformation. I think leaving the doors slab was the right call. Thank you for sharing your in-progress pictures!

• Suki Mom
    5 years ago

Wow - nice work!

• cookic
    5 years ago

D. vzq, WOW! That looks great! Good for you, for trying and succeeding! I'm curious about the countertops. You mentioned they had gray in them, so how does it look with the cabinets? They look beige in the pictures, but might be different in "real life". Otherwise, things look pretty good. Your window looks nice as is.

• cookic
    5 years ago

Oh, I would try looking for a new/used sink and not try to refinish it. You can probably get one reasonable on several areas, Craigslist, Habitat, etc.

• D. Vzq
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Cookic Thank you for letting me know. I was considering using resin since I've seen good results, but since I have some money on the budget, I'll likely replace it instead.
    The counter looks much better in person since the gray stands out more. Also, because the tile has the same beige and gray tones, it doesn't look bad. However, I am going to see where I am when I finish it all budget wise. If it makes sense and will look better, I'll just replace it. If I can live with it, I will keep it since it's in good shape.
  • nicolediane
    5 years ago

Great so far. I'm looking forward to the finished product.

• nicolediane
    5 years ago

Great so far. I'm looking forward to the finished product.

• D. Vzq
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I did a post about it in case anyone else had questions, but I wanted to post to you guys to say it's pretty much done! On schedule and under budget too!
    Is it everyone's cup of tea? Likely not. But I'm sipping happily and loving it.

Thank you for all the helpful advice! I took tons of information and product recommendations and I'm glad I did because it made the process easier and the outcome better. So I appreciate it!!!

• zmith
    5 years ago

Very pretty! The white hood practically disappears into the white upper cabinets. The window treatment is perfect! Thank you for sharing the end result.

• D. Vzq
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @zmith Thank you!! I actually did the window treatment myself for around $8 dollars! Just finished it last night using mini blinds I had and some inexpensive fabric and ribbons! My inspo curtain was way out of budget!
    I am also loving the low profile microwave/hood! It's so quiet and although not matching, I prefer it that way.
  • User
    5 years ago

Comparison in one post...

Truly amazing transformation for < a grand.

Super job!

• Missi (4b IA)
    5 years ago

What a great outcome! I'll go look for the thread to get all the details-I love projects like this, making do w/what you have.

• Toni Hamlett
    5 years ago
    Good job and what a difference. Before doing my major renovation I also painted my cabinets .... took a week of working part time but came out nice. It showed me I really did not want a white kitchen so when I did my major renovation I also did two tone with oyster painted uppers and peppercorn stained lowers. Costed
  • cookic
    5 years ago

You did fantastic! I'm glad you got some good advice from this thread and I can imagine the "naysayers" did a good job of spurring you on! LOL I know that happens to me when people tell me "not happening" and I know it could. Enjoy your new kitchen!

• D. Vzq
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @cookic Thank you for the support! You were right, I decided to pick what I knew would work well and just trusted my instincts! Couldn't be happier with the results. Everyone who walks in is in shock is the same place! Only downside is that now everyone wants me to help them do theirs! Lol
  • cookic
    5 years ago

Hey, a new career path for you! Ha! You can allways point and let them do the work. I'm so glad pennydesign posted both your old and new kitchen for all of us. WOW! Quite a difference for you! I love your kitchen light! Don't tell me you produced that too!

• Dawn Stout
    5 years ago
    Great job! Such an improvement!
  • D. Vzq
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @cookic Thank you but I'm not that talented!!! It's from Amazon. Only $105! It looks even better in person!
  • PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    5 years ago

Wow, what a transformation!!! Amazing work!

• Patti Glanzman
    5 years ago

Great job!!! Your kitchen came out fabulous!!

• Brandi Edstrom
    5 years ago

Wow this looks so awesome! Can you tell me what you used for your countertops?

• D. Vzq
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Brandi Edstrom. Sorry I didn't catch your message sooner! They're the Hampton Bay ones from Home Depot in Valencia Typhoon Ice. All we had to do was cut to exact measurements and install!