SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babyviolets_africanviolets

How to get small transplanted plantlets to grow faster?

cooks
5 years ago

Hello, I recently transplanted a small plantlet from a leaf to an individual cup. Its been 2 months and the plantlet hasnt grown at all. Its the same size and occasionally if 3-4 leaves grow, then 1-2 leaves become mushy and brown, I remove those and again its back to its original size. How long till they become a reasonable starter plant? (not a full blown mature plant).

I have the plantlets in open trays, as the leaves were also in open trays for 2-3 months. I removed the cover from the leaves, as soon as I saw babies popping up. Since then the leaves have been in open trays, so I thought the babies are already acclimated to the open environment, so left the plantlets also in uncovered or unbagged trays. This does cause the soil to dry up quickly, so its a lot watering in between (I bottom water, let the cups sit in a tray of water for 30-40 min, then put them back in the trays after they drain out a little). The soil I use is pro-mix bx mixed with perlite (50:50 ratio).

I do lightly fertilize the plantlets and that greens them up, but doesnt do much in terms in increasing growth.

Should I put the plantlets in ziploc baggies? Should I cover the trays with humidity domes (I have both the large ones and the smaller 1080 tray lid ones)? Should I change my fertilizer ( I have fish emulsion sticks, never used them yet)? Should I add a layer of perlite at the bottom of the cups, to ensure better drainage? Any advice would be appreciated. I was preparing 10 of these plantlets since early July, to give as back to school gifts to my kids teachers, but they are still small puny plantlets. Maybe by christmas they will grow at least the size of a reasonable starter plant (not expecting a full grown mature plant).

thanks,

Cooks.

Comments (9)