SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
historian79

Wide Reveal on Window, Trim is Same Width as Sill. Is This a Big Deal?

Danielle Gottwig
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I need some input on how big a deal the width of window reveals are. I'm also wondering how important it is for the window sill to be wider than the window trim. These are interior windows.

I'll spare you all the details, but we hired a window company to replace windows and window trim throughout our old house. Round 1 of trim installation did not go well - long story short, a project manager determined they needed to special order extra wide trim to make the job work, but when the work crew was deployed a few weeks later, they were given the standard width trim. They tried to make it work, and we ended up with big gaps between the plaster wall and trim.

Round 2, same company, different crew, this time with the special order trim went better. We don't have big gaps around the windows they have done so far. It is quite a bit better.

However, I think while trying to navigate around some odd issues .... for example in one room the windows are unusually close to the ceiling, which interferes with trim selection .... the crew and my husband decided to use trim that would cover any issues where the window meets the wall, but that would leave a larger than average reveal. Most of the reveals are about 3/4". At the top of the windows it is as much as an 1".

Likewise, because the trim is extra wide, and also not as much "extra" as I'd like is covering the reveal, the trim and the sill are similar widths.

How big a deal is the non-standard large reveal? If it makes a difference this is 4.5" trim - which is substantial. Is it a major mistake, or just not standard in a world where people make different aesthetic decisions? Likewise, I don't know if the sills being equal (or a hair shorter) than the trim is something that should make me want to redo everything, or not.

Please, any advice would be deeply appreciated. I'm out of my depth here.

Pictures below.

Comment