SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dre_crego

How do we update this 80s balcony?

Dre Crego
5 years ago

I put a yellow arrow, but you can’t see much of the top of it. That huge section of drywall in the middle is shaped exactly like an arrow pointing up. It’s horrible. We can’t tell if it’s structurally required there or not, but even though I’m far from be qualified to guess, I’m guessing anyway, it doesn’t seem to make sense that support would be built that way - hanging from a little triangle??? So, the blue lines are my other uneducated wild guess as to where some structural support beams could go (we are on concrete slab foundation) if we were to get rid of the arrow and also update those outdated stair railings (apologies if anyone likes them - personal preference, I guess!)

The yellow question mark is because I also can’t imagine why the heck they put the air intake *right there*??? Instead of up in the ceiling somewhere out of sight? How are you supposed to decorate the space with that damn air vent taking up almost the whole wall???

ugh fml.

Comments (32)

• User
    5 years ago

All my a/c return filter vents are ground level. I prefer them low because it's easier to change the filters quarterly. With high ceilings and balconies, you need a ladder and incur risk of falling. I have return filter vents in every room, including the large one in my dining room, albeit not as large as yours. Consider it an "architectural" feature.

Dre Crego thanked User
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago

I'm guessing that upright in the middle is indeed structural and can't be removed, but it would be good to consult with a structural engineer before you proceed. Assuming it is, I'd think about replacing the drywall for that upright with millwork to box in the beam, i.e. make it look like a column instead so you can lose the "arrow" look. Then tie in the railings on either side into the column. I'd go with straight, squared off balusters instead of the spindly ones you have now, and paint the column, balusters, and hand rail white. Go with a simple look/style like shaker which will work with a lot of different decor.

Dre Crego thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • Related Discussions

How do I help take these dining chairs out of the 80's

Q

Comments (8)
    Someone re-upholstered my parents’ old set, and the loss of the caning is what was heart-breaking. is it the color, seat condition, back shape you don’t like? If it’s the caning, the back frame is glued together, and can come off, if you want to put an upholstered back in (see my photo of the purple beast). I’ve seen a painted version of the same set that looked very nice, too. in my case, I want to sand out the heavy rounded edges on the table & china cabinet at some point.
    ...See More

How to update 80's home foyer ledge?

Q

Comments (14)
    Our vacation home had one of those very large round top windows over the front entry double doors, and a double height ceiling. We ultimately decided to make the entry one-story high, replaced the double doors with a single door and side lights, and added a second story office with an appropriately sized window (no round top.) It was worth the $$ to change out the 80s-90s trend to a more classic look. You might consider saving up to make a more substantial change at a future date.
    ...See More

How to update my 80s exterior?

Q

Comments (3)
    You should be talking with the folks at Romabio about color matching the wash with the paint.
    ...See More

80s House Update- Help needed! :)

Q

Comments (33)
    I have a "garage forward" house, and perhaps what you don't like is the strong statement the stone makes but only halfway. So it's a pretty big contrast between the stone and the other side of the garage which makes a strong out of balance statement. I'd paint the house a color closer to the stone so there's much less contrast. Painted stone is like putting tinfoil on a turd, IMHO. You could also cover the stone with siding that matches the pillar or some other siding on the house. The problem with your house now is that the garage is looking way too prominent considering how pedestrian that part is, with the entrance receding into the background. That can be fixed with paint and landscaping. But if you have your heart set on a white house . . . I dunno, maybe cover the stone with stucco. I just think painted white stone is going to look cheap. Colorful front door will be a nice update too.
    ...See More
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Is that a hallway up there or is it a larger, loft space?

• Dre Crego
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It’s a hallway.

• Dre Crego
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sabrina Alfin Interiors, have you seen any pictures or can you direct me to where I might see some examples of this? I have searched and searched, but I’m not finding anything. I’m sure it’s because I don’t know the proper architectural terms for what I’m trying to describe. Or is this such a rare thing?

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

I would just drywall the entire opening. I don't think it adds anything of architectural interest and it will help lessen noise transference from the lower level to the bedrooms. The compromise will probably be a darker hallway. Additional benefits are that the cool, cathedral ceiling will look more modern, if you're installing a nice chandelier it will have a clean backdrop, and it's less expensive than most options.

Dre Crego thanked sheloveslayouts
  • chiflipper
    5 years ago

Drywall it as benjesbride suggests for all the reasons stated. PLUS, enclosing it will better balance your interior temperatures on both floors.

Dre Crego thanked chiflipper
  • Dre Crego
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hmm, very interesting. It never would have occurred to me to just drywall the whole thing! I guess it would probably be easier to install good lighting in the hallway than it would to deal with structural redesign.

Thanks for the fresh take!

• suezbell
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You could paint all the walls around it and in the hallway behind it first -- an actual color you like rather than an off white -- and see if that, in you opinion, improves the look before ripping out the railing itself.

There are more modern glass railing / pony walls that would definitely be an update -- whether or not it would be an improvement would be a matter of personal taste.

You might also consider swapping out the railing for a pony wall height display case -- with or without doors (glass and/or solid -- w/glass facing one or both ways) for use as a bookcase or curio cabinet.

Remembering that heat rises and this could be costing you more for heating/cooling thn if the wall were solid: If you are even considering enclosing this wall, don't dry wall it -- consider creating a window wall, perhaps even in the current vaulted shape -- after you're certain it will not interfere with any heat/ac supplies or returns.

Dre Crego thanked suezbell
  • Dre Crego
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, suezbell. I actually do like the idea of a pony wall (or, pony walls on each side) with glass or iron on top or something like that, I was already thinking along those lines before I got all crazy thinking, just tear the damn column out, lol! I might need to calm down a little.

Do you have any pictures of examples of what you are describing, the pony wall with a bookcase?

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago

Hi @Dre, here's kind of what I'm thinking, only not quite as bulky. You'd have to get a good stairway/railing contractor to design it to the right proportions. This is for a front porch, but could easily work inside, too:

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Can you post a photo taken from farther back directly centered on that end of the room? I'd like to see how the opening works with more of the space.

• suezbell
    5 years ago

Was thinking cabinet could resemble this on the upstairs side and have fixed glass (windows) as the back for the sections to be used to display family treasures.

• suezbell
    5 years ago

This one has open shelves upstairs with a solid back.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/238972323954702535/?lp=true

Dre Crego thanked suezbell
  • suezbell
    5 years ago

Your center post is likely needed for structural support . you could just build a pony wall cabient on each side of it.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

I would just drywall it and install a solar tube skylight in the upstairs hall. I don't see windows working well because of the column in the middle dividing the space. As well as whatever shape the windows would take (triangular?) being at odds with the weirdly shaped window in the front door. (I would replace the door.)

Dre Crego thanked ci_lantro
  • Dre Crego
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Unfortunately, I cannot get a better photo at the moment. See the yellow scaffolding in the left corner there? That’s the tip of the iceberg. I nearly twist my ankle every time I try to even get that far back, there’s construction crap all over the floor.

And yes, I wholeheartedly agree that front door needs replaced, badly! One battle at a time!

• sktn77a
    5 years ago

You can get rid of the entire wall and center post. If the center post is structural (I doubt it as there's nothing underneath it) you can just put a beam at the top. The air vent should be movable if the air come to it from above.

Dre Crego thanked sktn77a
  • Dre Crego
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I swear this app is so sketchy. I posted an answer to benjesbride yesterday but it disappeared???

I cannot take a better picture because, as you can see in the lower left corner, there is a scaffolding there, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg! There is so much construction crap on that side of the room that I nearly twist my ankle just getting to the spot where this bad picture was taken from. :-(

• User
    5 years ago

sktn77a, I disagree on it certainly being non-loadbearing. Since that's a hallway, a major cross beam where the blue line is would make sense. A properly set pair of rafters to spread the load to the sidewalls is possible, but the center post to take load seems a more likely bet. It would have been cheaper to simply run the railing across the whole opening than taking the time to place two separate rails on either side of a pointless sheetroock tube. Just to build it took 2x4's, sheetrock, cornerbead, mudding and painting...no point over the railing.

On the whole I kinda like the wall it off idea (unless that's the only return air...), especially as the railing in the question mark side looks compromised because it is connected to a small piece of wall that appear unsupported on the top edge and pulling away from the ceiling, so all that has to be addressed.

If you wall it off, consider placing a switched outlet on that wall, on the living room side, to allow seasonal decor or a powered installation

Dre Crego thanked User
  • zmith
    5 years ago

I didn't read all the responses, but I did see North Texan mentioned the RETURN AIR regarding walling off the hallway. To enclose the hall balcony with drywall, you will be screwing up your HVAC system if that is the only return air for the house. The system will starve and die prematurely.

The POST (a technical term) in the center of the hallway is likely holding up your roof.

Functional is amost never pretty. Both of these issues could have been done better by the builder, but that probably would have cut into his profit. So now you are stuck with it, unfortunately.

Dre Crego thanked zmith
  • Dre Crego
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yep yep. I agree, it makes the most sense for it to be a load bearing post, and covering the openings, the A/C would be compromised, and OH MY GOD we do NOT want to do ANYTHING to interfere with the A/C!!!

Besides, I have had an amazingly inspired idea.

What if we covered up the center pole, all except the arrowhead shaped part, with the right size & shape of distressed & stained wood planks to make it look like a giant beam. Then, the bottom of the arrowhead would made to look like a crossways beam bolted onto it.

I might have to continue with another gigantic fake beam underneath the entire length, but that might look really cool!

I wish I knew how to visualize it, to show you how it looks in my head.

Another style option might be fake steel beams, but I can’t find any tutorials how to do that???

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

To enclose the hall balcony with drywall, you will be screwing up your HVAC system if that is the only return air for the house. The system will starve and die prematurely.

Put return air grills on both sides of the 'post'. One grill on the back side for the upstairs, one grill facing the living area. I would spring for a great looking cast iron grill for the living room side.

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

Quite honestly. although, I am not fond of those balcony things,or those really high ceilings in general, I really do not think what you have looks bad. I would get everything painted and leave it alone like it was designed to be. I dont know about the age of your house, but, apparently it has held up the house for a few years anyway, so must be constructed properly. Dont go messing it up. The ac filter has been put in that spot for a reason. Hvac systems are designed before installation, so that the installers know, just where everything has to go for the system to work correctly. Leave it alone too. Your house will be beautiful when you are finished.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Just design some vented openings in the wall. Channels that go through the wall to allow air from the living room area to be drawn into the return air. You can find some great looking vent grills in all kinds of styles.

Dre Crego thanked ci_lantro
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Agree with ci_lantro that wall is nothing to draw attention to or create a feature upon. Just a couple vents on either side of the post, painted the same as the wall should do the trick.

• jpp221
    5 years ago
    Pony walls would be a mess. You’ll next be posting about what to do with these two stupid triangle holes, which is what you’d be left with. If you can drywall in the whole thing, I’d do that instead (even if it necessitates some hvac adjustments, it’s still less than reengineering a post). Who wants to peer into a bedroom hall from the main living space anyway?
    Dre Crego thanked jpp221
  • PRO
    Excalibur Metal Design
    5 years ago

Have you considered a metal railing? It's modern, can be customized to fit any home's style, and will last forever. Here's a few examples of interior railing we've done recently to give you some ideas.

Dre Crego thanked Excalibur Metal Design
  • Dre Crego
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Actually, metal is my *favorite* option! Plus I think that is one design item that we already agree on, so win win!

• Dre Crego
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here are some more ideas, plus a design problem: I don’t know what I (we) want. It’s the most frustrating place to be.

I am considering the idea of traditional (is that the right term?) columns instead of rustic beams - although perhaps a beam or a few of them might not be out of the question on the ceiling. That’s where I get confused, because I don’t know what goes together, and he won’t let me hire a real designer!

Creating a faux traditional looking beam for the center post, supporting the rustic looking cross beam on top, I think would be much easier to do and would look great (in my imagination! lol)

Then we could add matching faux supporting beams at the ground level, and ta-da!!

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

One guiding philosophy I have is, if it's not beautiful it doesn't deserve to become a feature. Another is to Keep Is Simple.

For example, I think it's a bad design choice to paint an "accent wall" unless there's something beautiful to feature on that wall. Same goes for this opening to the second floor. There is nothing beautiful to highlight up there.

Your money would be much better spent drywalling up the triangles (with proper vents) and doing something like adding tongue and groove to your cathedral ceiling which is architecturally worthy of becoming a feature.

If the triangles/quadrilaterals (?) were already drywalled over, would you open them up to spend a bunch of money on custom metal work and finish carpentry?? I would not.