SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riki_luri

I need non toxic windows that do not off-gas!

RL
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I need windows for a tiny house on wheels. It will be located in the Southern California desert. I do not want vinyl or Fibrex windows due to off-gassing of vinyl and plastic and I have no time or place to wait for them to off-gas. I do want good heat blocking more than heat retaining as the weather is mostly hot even though the nights can be cold in winter.

I am considering Marvin Ultimate aluminum clad wood exterior/wood interior, Integrity Ultrex exterior/Ultrex interior. (fiberglass), possibly Ultrex exterior/wood interior and possibly Jeld-wen all aluminum. I don't know what other brands I might consider but these seem to have the best reviews overall.

I know the all-aluminum would be the least off-gassing but the least energy efficient as well. The aluminum clad wood/wood seems fairly toxic free other than the interior wood stain (or paint) that may off-gas quickly, or not?. I just don't know if the all Ultrex fiberglass will off-gas especially if I have it on the interior as well (I'd rather not have to paint the interior and Integrity Ultrex/wood only has white pre-finished).

I don't know which brand to pick either! A difficult decision due to 3 factors: toxicity, U factor, SHGC, durability, and price! Help, please! Thanks!

Comments (34)