SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doctortuffy

non-toxic desert plants

doctortuffy
15 years ago

I am hoping some one here can help me with some ideas. I have two large lantana shrubs next to our pool. These were put in by the former homeowner. I don't like them where they are for two reasons: they drop a lot of stuff into the pool and are difficult to trim in that location. Now I have a third reason. We recently adopted two dogs and they LOVE to eat every leaf that falls off of the two shrubs. I just want to get it out of there since it can be toxic when consumed in large quantities.

I need something to replace those two shrubs after we remove them. The area is about 8 feet by 3 feet and has full sun at least 8 hours a day. I want something that is desert adapted, although we do have drip irrigation. It needs to be low-shedding, easy to maintain and most importantly, non-toxic to dogs. It would be even better if it were something that dogs are not interested in eating. On the other side of the pool we have three Mexican Bird of Paradise shrubs and two yuccas (also toxic but the dogs don't bother with them as much). Any ideas? Thanks, friends!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County