SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1stgarden

What's my style?

5 years ago

Hi all, new here :)
I am about to close on a brand new house purchase... our first family home (we are currently and always have been renters) so this is really important to us. It's myself, hubby and two kids, 4 and 6.
The house is a very modest place but a huge step up for us moving from an over crowded apartment. I'll get the exact dimensions to you later.
So to get to the point! I'd like to upload a picture collage of the items of furniture I plan to purchase... This is after countless months of browsing and researching... and just get your expert opinions on if you think it'll work.
A little about my persoanlity to put the furniture pieces into prespective, I'm 31, confident in my likes and wants and the odd one out. I'm the one that *doesn't* follow the crowds, I have no problems with authority but I tend to break the unwritten rules. Who wrote them anyway - because it wasn't me!
I'm an avid traveller, reader, tea and coffee drinking person. I'm a stay at home mum and plan to be for the foreseeable future (sometimes work from home). I love being at home, curling up with a good book and a cuppa, or having the girls over for a coffee!
I love holidaying in big old 'olden days' country houses. I love the sea and openness. I love space and peace and elegance.
The atmosphere I am hoping to create in our new home (for the sitting room only) is one of elegance, class, warmth, retreat and all things opulent. But grounded opulent. You see what I mean about being the odd one out?
I'd love to hear your views on my furniture pieces as interior design is something alien to me! I hope I did ok. I LOVE each and every piece. Havnt bought anything yet but I love the pieces with all my heart.
Thank you in advance! And I hope there's an easy way to attach this picture.. after I click on the big green 'next' button... here we go!

Comments (92)

• 5 years ago

I was really surprised after reading your OP and then seeing your various photos of what you like. Not what I expected. I think you need to be more realistic and less Liberace.

As others have said, your choices appear traditional and fussy. But most of all, not comfortable. Don’t you want to hang with your family at home and be comfortable while doing that? What good do fake gilding, curlicues and gewgaws do for that? Once installed in your living room and bedrooms, do you really picture yourself enjoying them? Also remember that the amount of cleaning effort in your home is directly correlated to how many nooks and crannies your furniture has.

When I was younger I collected clippings from magazines of furniture and decor I liked (before Pinterest, if you can imagine that). I was recently de-cluttering, and came across those books of clippings. I was horrified at my earlier taste - cliched, faux cottage to the utmost, and schoolgirlish. Glad I didn’t act on those impulses at the time! Here is what matured my taste: a subscription to Architectural Digest (which doesn’t always have great-looking homes, which is a lesson itself), rear a ton of books on design, and learned how to visualize in my mind what something would look like in my home - it takes practice,

Before you spend a lot of money on things that will dismay you a year later, wait a bit, and use the time to educate yourself. Final piece of advice: armless chairs are not comfortable, and people avoid sitting on them.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Lucky you, being in the UK! Can you get to London? If you can, spend some time in the shops on Pimlico and Fulham Rd. Go talk to Hane at Percy Bass on Walton St. You have resources available to you we in the US can only dream about!

• Related Discussions

What type of chairs should I use , and what's my style? (pics)

Q

Comments (27)
    Thank you all, again! Les-I love your idea...it was one of the first plans that I tried when we got the new furniture. The EC was a bit large for that corner unfortunately. (It's been in both corners and along the couch wall already!) I also tried the couch on the wall where the EC is, but that wall is shorter and the couch pretty much went from end to end (from what I remember), so no room for a table. But I'll measure and try again. While this is the room that we do watch tv, I agree with you...I do not like it looking as though it's the center of our lives, b/c it's not! I'm wondering if maybe I put the tv on a smaller table (I have one or two that may work) and put it in the corner you said, then move the couch, either to the windows or the back wall, if it works. Thanks for your help! kswl: I love your idea about chairs with legs, for a more roomy look. That never occurred to me. I like the idea of a slipper chair as well. I'm considering turning our DR into a reading room, since with small kids, we don't use that room much at all! We have a morning room with a table large enough for us and more, so losing the DR is not really an issue. So if we change the DR, the overstuffed chair would go in that room. I don't love the EC...it's a Sauder piece that we bought years ago. The *only* nice thing about it is that is has great storage for dvds/cds/kids puzzles & games and even the sides have tons of storage for books etc. Our plan is to send it to the basement, if and when we ever finish it. In this market, we don't want to do it, b/c we may move in the next few years and would never recover the $$. One more question?? Can I do decorative curtains on the two far ends of the windows? So the middle window would be open? I do want to add some color, softness, coziness, but it seems like curtains on all 3 windows is way too much. I've tried valances on all three, but they did nothing for the room and made it seem very choppy to me, if that makes sense? Thank you again, everyone...I wish I knew what I was doing...this is really helpful. At least I know for sure to measure next time before I make a purchase this big. :)
    ...See More

Do you have ideas for my front yard?

Q

Comments (4)
    I would say that your style is "gardening" instead of "landscaping" because you're not using plants to build on to existing architectural features. You're collecting plants you like and finding a garden space to put them in, irrespective of what's going on with the building. Following is an idea of a basic landscape approach. If you wanted to make it more "garden-like" in order to show off plants and flowers you enjoy, you could use low plants, blending your favs so long as they take the conditions offered, in place of the groundcovers. (I got rid of your other gardens just for artistic clarity. Not trying to tell you to get rid of them.)
    ...See More

What's my style? Also paint and wall texture questions!

Q

Comments (17)
    Thank you, decoenthusiast! I was thinking about using the chairs in the master when we move. What type of chair would you say? As far as furniture, I love my coffee table and I will keep piano- it won't be in living room at new house. I also really like the campaign chair, but things can be moved around house for sure! Also, DR chandelier will move with us and we will keep DR table, Finallyhome, I LOVE that room! Thanks for posting. Patricia, thank you for your insight. In new house the curio will go and we will have built in China storage. I will try to be a better picture hanger! But as noted above the art is centered between 5'1-2" from floor, maybe angle not good?? Also will add a couple more photos of dining room later today, still dark out:) Trying to see what you are seeing. Thank you for saying LR has nice feeling- I do think it's a comfy room-we enjoy taking happy hour in there! i was working towards a gallery wall behind piano. My grandmother was an artist and I have a lot of paintings! I wonder if the angle of photo is making art look higher in general (not talking about piano wall). The pics in dining room are centered at 5'1-2"... I won't add more holes here, but when we move I will hang better:) I guess I need to do some gallery wall research! What do you think of Farrow and Ball and the light bouncing/reflecting theory? miacometlady, thank you! What I'm discovering about myself is that I actually like a fuller room. Maybe there's a happy medium? I may switch chairs out and could do something similar. Thanks for encouragement on texture front! The new house has an L shape with kitchen in corner visible to DR on one side and LR on the other. Currently getting bids on kitchen cabinets similar to photos here- do you think it works with furnishings? China cab would be in DR. Thanks all!
    ...See More

Help! What’s my style?

Q

Comments (6)
    Your house has a contemporary style, which, as you said, brings to mind clean, well-defined lines. Just wanted to share a few (hopefully) inspiring pictures ... not to copy exactly or use each of these ideas, but maybe to see if these are looks you like. It’s all subjective, depending on individual tastes, but for modern, my preferences are more hardscaping, ornamental grasses, perennials, geometric shaped planters, more of a sculptural look, etc. And as some of these show, it doesn’t necessarily translate into a rigid, cold, barren, look ... the right plantings soften up hard lines. If budget allows, I agree with Angel about changing your balcony railing to something more contemporary: This one shows a more traditional, flowing landscape with a modern house, if you like that look: Your local nurseries (not big box stores) should be good resources for advice on specific plants. Take them your yard pictures and tell them the look(s) you’d like to accomplish.
    ...See More
  • 5 years ago

What I'm missing in your inspiration photos are color, life and personality. The rooms don't give the slightest hint of who you are, and yet that is the most interesting thing about a room. Everything is stiff, formal and, I'm sorry to say, bland and boring. The person you describe is very far away from what these rooms say to me. If you look at English country houses, for instance, there will be colorful and beautiful Persian rugs, wonderful Chinese porcelain and interesting paintings filled with color and life. Let's not forget books, which make any room more vital and interesting. I don't come away with the feeling that any of these things interest you since you don't mention them and they are not present in the rooms that you like. I frankly find it puzzling.

1stgarden thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 5 years ago

Thank you so much all for the responses, I'm so happy to be given a part of your precious time! Thank you again.

Some of the trains of thought above I feel are veered off course by not paying enough attention to what I'm actually saying (as a pose to what you may think I'm saying - remember I am the odd one out).

So I'll address a few of them here generally. Also need to quickly mention, I don't know how this is happening but I read the entire thread last night and this morning I find I've missed posts (sorry Lindsey - I like the picture you attached). I don't know why they most definitely wernt there last night! Anyway...

This room IS me. The stiff uprightness is my seriousness. I am largely a serious person (but also the joker of my pack, my friends define me simply - I am a bit of everything)!

Someone also said to go wild - this IS my wild card. I'm 31, have little kids and sort of live like a slob... so as someone else mentioned above this look doesn't stereotypically "fit" me (if you take me as most 31 year old women. But I keep saying I am the odd one out). THIS room is my deep dark wild side set free.

The build of the house I have found out is 1930's so not quite new build but not a character house by any means. Like I said above the fanciest thing in there are the crown mouldings :)

The colour. I plan on a lot of colour I am a hugely colourful person. I'll take the colour from the art, mainly teal and use it in the throws, cushions, candles across the room etc.

Books... I am an entire bookworm. So I am having a study, a *whole* room dedicated to books.. So no need for bookshelves here. Three of the four walls of the study will be covered with all my beloved books (that I've somehow managed to squeeze into my current home)! We eat sleep and walk on books here. I can't wait to finally have a room dedicated to them.

Someone mentioned being young and naive - THAT I am! And I guess that's why I'm here. Double and triple checking things before I purchase them. Opinions like the style doesn't suit your age (although welcome) wash straight over me as I've lived 31 years not really fitting into the boxes I'm supposed to have fit into.

However opinions like I can do better, my ears perk up. So I ask you, *how*? What exactly could I do better, which part, and please show me examples. If I can get a better sofa show me. And explain *why* it's better. I am a woman of common sense and understanding ( scientist in me). Social conventions just because people say so have no meaning with me, but give me a good enough *reason* for some thing and I'm all ears. After understanding the reason I can make a furthur informed decision.

And just because I think the tiny picture didn't really show it, the wall art I'm thinking about.

It's so deep and dark. Moody and peaceful all at once. It's so me!

I am also considering this print (the one above is a painting) for across the room, in a comparatively very small size. However the lighter and brighter blues don't match the moodiness in the painting above so I'm thinking how to make it work!

I might have it in the kitchen with the other brighter more childish art (another side to me - childish playful) but I havnt thought that far ahead yet. We are planning a new kitchen in future years so am not planning to much for it currently. Just a comfy table and beautiful art. Oh and a place to put all the native material dinnerware (for show) I collect when we go far and wide - I have traditional cups plates and dishes from Istanbul, middle east, far East and parts of Europe. The best thing about a bigger place to live is everything can have it's place. Together (under the roof) but separately (differing rooms).

Lindsey - I love blue. Turquoise and teal.

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Oh the pictures didn't attach! Still aren't attaching. I hope the post above doesn't dissappear (it happened yesterday).

Sorry the pictures aren't attaching I'll try again later.

• 5 years ago

Loobab I was reading your first comment and wanted to address a few things I missed the first time around. The gilt chairs being over the top and the chandelier being underwhelming - it is on purpose!

I guess this is my way of portraying opulence and grounded ness *together*. History and present tense, together. My view of traditional mixed with modern.

The question is - have I succeeded? Is that what these furniture pieces show?

Having all the legs match was again purposeful. That's the only thing that does match in that room and we need an under lying method to the madness when it comes to eclectic do we not?

• 5 years ago

Which looks nicer and more in line with the proposed furniture above?

• 5 years ago

Oh it worked!

The painting and print I was talking about earlier.

• PRO
    5 years ago

What’s My Style?

Eclectic is a style and your inspiration photo is an eclectic, diverse combination of furniture. Choosing pieces from a variety of choices is fine, but something has to ground the collection.

You used the term opulent…wealthy, palatial, grandiose and then in another sentence your word is classy. Oxymorons. I have been in a lot of homes during my careers and wealth does not equate class, for sure. You never want to appear as a “wannabe”

Choose that one thing you love the most in your collage and build on it. You can’t design a room or project a feeling without an inspiration piece.

1stgarden thanked JudyG Designs
  • 5 years ago

Hi Judy

So do you think these pieces are not grounded together?

By opulent I meant I know how to enjoy myself. Not display wealth (hate that). The very last thing I want to do is show off wealth as what you have today you can lose tomorrow so there's no point in showing off. That's why I said opulent but grounded.

Oh and classy is a mindframe. I'm definetly not on a house decorating forum for that :) I'd just like to make sure the feeling I'm portraying is getting portrayed in the way I want it through the furniture and decor.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Grounded /opulent…again the two words are at odds.

No, your choices are not in sync with each other, nor to your personality.

IMO, you are spending too much time describing to us who you are and taking no time to build a scheme.

For instance: the sofa. It is a little bit traditional (as in Chesterfield) , while the legs make it more modern.

What else is in your photo could you can describe as such?

1stgarden thanked JudyG Designs
  • 5 years ago

Off topic - HU-3383... Please, if you think you will become a regular user of this forum, I hope that you will take a minute to go into your profile and create a real user name. HU "something, something" is what we often see from spammers and people who show up, ask a question, then poof disappear.

ETA: From you - "The build of the house I have found out is 1930's so not quite new build but not a character house by any means." This made me chuckle. I have read posts from people on this forum who say they would never buy a house that is more than 10 years old. My house was built in 1950 and is small (by American standards), but sturdy and well taken care of. It would not appeal to some in the US because it is not a 4K foot open concept home. Anyway, my point is that when people suggest you look at well made furniture in consignment shops, our reference points may differ.

1stgarden thanked dragonflywings42
  • 5 years ago

It's a little difficult to get a bead on what you're looking for - in part because some of the words you're using don't mean precisely what you are using them to mean. "Opulent" implies over-the-top grandiosity and things that are expensive and impractical as a rule. "Classy" actually DOES connote a certain type of decor - one that is NOT overdone, theme-y, or twee.

The inspiration photos you posted are certainly traditional, verging into shabby chic. And yet you want everything new. Which is OK, but getting that look with newer pieces that aren't poor quality is more challenging.

The MOST comfortable, put-together rooms are those that look as if the furnishings and elements have been acquired and arranged over a period of time. (And not purchased as a matching suite from the local furniture store. We instinctively "feel" that those sorts of rooms aren't quite right). Trying to replicate that "evolved over time" feel takes some effort. You're probably not going to find ALL the elements you want in one fell shopping swoop. And I wouldn't recommend you purchase them online, for all the reasons above.

If you're going to invest in quality pieces, spend some time learning what to look for. Here in a blog post from Laurel Bern onchoosing sofas. In fact, hang out there for a while and read lots of Laurel. She's very smart, and very able to communicate how to design rooms. Plus I think you'll like a lot of her rooms and photos. Lots of inspiration there.

Case pieces are harder. Most aren't made very well these days, which is why the suggestion was made to check consignment stores. Personally, I like to haunt flea/antique markets. Last spring I scored a quartersawn oak piece to use as a nightstand for less than $100.

If you REALLY know what you want, having custom wood furniture made will often get you where you want to be. Look around for a local shop and bring them inspiration photos. One of my favorite dining rooms was an Early American style room where the owners had had the chairs custom made - all of one size, and all of the style, but no two matched exactly. It was lovely.

Next, think very carefully regarding those "rules" you intend to break. For instance, if you hang that chandelier so low that you can't walk under it, you've now committed yourself to room layouts that keep the coffee table underneath it. And sometimes, the best way to refresh a room is simply to move the elements around. But you'll have painted yourself into a corner with that chandelier.

And while sometimes it's good to break the rules, first you have to know what they are and why they ARE rules.

No, matching the legs doesn't "tie the room together." It just sort of makes it look like you went shopping by leg style and nothing else.

Again, lots of good decorating articles out there on mixing traditional and modern. Read, read, read. Look at pictures. Start a Pinterest board!

Then, when you go shopping, bring your smartphone or tablet. A good furniture store usually employs a designer who should be able to get a feel for your style from your images and show you pieces that might fit it.

Finally, consider ditching the "art print" for actual art. It might be worth cruising local galleries and art fairs for a genuine piece by a local artist that you really like. Lots more personality, and sometimes you can even commission something. Also less expensive than you might think.

1stgarden thanked Holly Stockley
  • 5 years ago

Hi Judy. Ok so the sofa is traditional and modern with the legs. The chair is traditional in design but modern with the legs again and the bright pop out yellow fabric.

The dining chairs are traditional. The dining table is new traditional (classic)? so traditional again paired with current/modern. Maybe timeless is the word for the dining table. The chandelier is new with a huge nod to traditional. The painting is... I'm not sure. Not abstract so not contemporary but not traditional either.

Hi holly. I hear you and thank you but I think the point is being missed. You can have an oxymoron (opulent and grounded are no more oxymoronic then classic contemporary) without going to any extreme. The dining chairs and a classic shaped chandelier are opulent - the high street sofas and electric fireplace are not. They are the grounded part.

I love laurels blog posts! I've been reading them for a while.

Lastly to illustrate how I'm seeing all these pieces tie together: the main colour scheme will be grey (feature wall) surrounding white walls. Medium coloured laminate flooring (already there, will change to real hardwood in the future). So one grey wall, matching print grey and white rug. 60 %

30 % will be yellow tones. You have the screaming deep yellow chair with muted patterned yellow cushions on the big sofa... teal and grey cushions too. You have the muted yellow again (from the painting) in the antiquated gold frame in the coffee table and side table. That tone carries up to a climax in the dinner chairs. Dotted throughout in the form of cushions and candles will be the real from the painting. 10 %

Real artists sell their work online too. And some thing isn't better because it's local, I'm to well travelled to belive that prejudice anymore.

I stil don't see how the pieces don't tie together, I've heard it plenty but no one wants to explain it :(

• 5 years ago

Holly do you have inspiration pictures of what you consider classy decor?

• 5 years ago

Hi dragonfly wings.

Doh! The house is 1970's not 30's sorry it must have been auto correct!!!

• 5 years ago

I just had a sudden light bulb moment and googled 1970's decor. This is what came up I guess I'm not breaking that many rules then!

I had no idea screaming yellow was a 1970's thing?!

• 5 years ago

I suggested local because often they're cheaper. ;-) Etsy can be a great source, too. Although somewhat frustrating if you find the perfect piece only to discover that shipping is going to cost you more than the piece!

If you read Laurel, then you've probably see a lot of what I consider "classy." (I'm not so much into worrying about it myself - I'm more about comfort. So sofas that are not fit for curling up and napping on are just out). :-)

If you've not read through it yet, this is a good post. I do think most of the rooms here are "classy." I particularly like the bedroom with the upholstered headboard. But the one with the green couch sort of makes my eye twitch.

In that post she talks about how mixing modern and traditional is an art form. I think that's part of why the legs thing is driving everybody nuts. SOMETHING needs a different base. That style table would typically have had Windsor chairs or something like them. While the chair really belongs at a more formal, rectangular setting. It just isn't working with the round table. Possibly because they are both "traditional" but different styles. The mash up might work better to use those formal chairs with a more modern table.

• PRO
    5 years ago

The chair is redundant and the rest is disjointed, as in no connection to one another.

I feel like this thread is becoming more about analysis than decor; you have made up your mind about your choices and no amount of input will even give you a pause for thought. It is too bad as there is a lot of talented commentators here willing to share ideas.

I also notice you have added nothing to any idea books, nor have you introduced your self.

You are either very new to houzz (as of 17 hrs ago) or you are bored silly and wasting everyone’s time. The latter seems more probable.

https://www.houzz.com/user/webuser-338309200

• 5 years ago

Hi holly yes I read that post just recently! I feel like the monotonous ness of my imaginary room gives it a touch of modernity as laurel mentioned. I also feel like it's partly traditional with just enough modern hint? She says not to go 50/50 and I don't feel I have?

The sofa and the chair legs only match, the legs of the dining chairs, side table and coffee table (and dinner table)! Are all different?

I am still looking for a dining table.. I prefer round (open to rectangle tho) but I'd like wood over glass or metal. I love the pedestal shape. Any help?! I also need it to be to scale so the two above are 110 and 113 cm diameter which works perfectly.

Oh and I can and will absolutely curl up and nap on this grey sofa :)

Also the chair is a perfect reading chair! We've sat on it and it's huge and comfy whilst still supportive. I really don't see what everyone sees - these look SO comfy to me haha.

• 5 years ago

Hi Judy. Patience :)

The art of advising is understanding all you can do is offer it up, you simply say your piece and whether it's taken or not is not usually of concern.

Giving advice is usually a helpful positive thing to do. Its noble. Advice given with the unstated tone of "you must follow it" is no longer a noble action. It's one of brute. Unreasonable.

The key to giving advice is understanding the problem before you offer up a solution.

I've shared my inspiration pictures above. THAT is what I like and want for this room. I didnt ask if it was stuffy or uptight or vanilla. That's moot to me. So advising me by trying to steer my very inspiration of what *I* like... is well... you know what it is. I'm not so unsure of myself that I turned to strangers to define my likes for me. Lived with myself for 31 years I understand my likes thanks.

My purpose is to have a formal room. Formal. So sharing opinions of its too formal is again... well stupid. If truth be told. *I want formal*.

The help I need is pulling it together. Groveraxle said it can be made to work. I wish she would come back and educate me on how.

I am new to houzz (signed up yesterday) but I've been reading it for months. Most names here are incredibly familier and I can recall some posters own dilemmas (from years back).

• 5 years ago

Judy. What exactly is disjointed? I've explained how the style, legs, tufting of the sofa and arm chair tie them together. The colour and material (velvet vs chenille) set them apart.

The dining chairs, coffee table and side table all match with the deep dark old gold frame.

The rug and wall paper are matching dove grey/white josette pair. The grey sofa ties them together.

The chandelier matches the seats in style (traditional) but is a modern metal and colour, cream, tying in with the art and dining chairs.

So I genuinly ask you what part is disjointed? Perhaps offer me the help I am asking for before calling me a troll.

• 5 years ago

Hi the cooks kitchen.

Creating a user name and idea book here, why exactly?

I've outlined my problem and given my inspiration photos here.

So no, thank you, I see no need to change the automated name to some thing else I can make up because it gives strangers a false sense of belonging nor will I go through again and save hundreds of pictures I've saved, printed and cut out hundreds of times the past few months, again to create a false sense of belonging.

I have no desire to be a part of any clique. This is a house decorating forum which I've seen offer advice to hundreds of strangers, becoming "one of us" is no more real with a supposed username and pictures in a book.

You have my username and you have my inspiration pictures. If you want to advice - do so. If I have to fit in your way first before advice is forthcoming - see you.

• 5 years ago

But you're not going to GET good advice without being more forthcoming yourself. Let's try to unpack some of this a bit. In this case, this is not a matter of being able to just pick out the right vase to tie this room together.

The request for pictures saved to the ideabooks is simply so that people can look through them and get a sense for your style. You're really not describing it all that well, and that's just because most of us CAN'T describe it all that well. We're visual creatures, and one word to you means something different to me - and vice versa.

If you're unwilling to do that, let's try unpacking your choices.

In each room, which is the piece you really love, that you're building your room around? Why do you love it?

Why did you then choose each additional piece? Does one chair pull a certain color to the fore that you really like? Is there an effect of airiness or solidity to one of the tables that you feel helps the room?

In this way, someone might pop up with a picture of a similar item that's just different enough to perhaps work better.

First the furniture has to work with the architecture of the room - which we can't see. (Your description just isn't helpful and a better drawing would at least be a start! Even "vanilla" has nuances. Is it Tahitian? Mexican? Bourbon? We can't tell and therefore can't work with those nuances). Then the pieces have to work together - and they sort of don't, but we don't know which you are really set on and which you might be parted from if a better option could be found. THEN things can be arranged, window treatments and rugs suggested, and other elements to make it feel "finished."

You're trying to get everybody to just skip to the last step. If you have yourself set on everything you already have selected and none of that will change, what ARE you looking for here, exactly?

• 5 years ago

The moment I saw your furniture I knew you were in England. I think I've been in your home several times (B&B experiences!) Get a second screaming yellow chair and arrange them and the sofa like your 1st "designs folder" pic. Hang the teal art 5" above the sofa so you get a vignette. Do you have a foyer? I think the straight chair and a smaller round pedestal side table could work well in an entry. Do you see any here that you like?

https://www.houzz.com/products/pedestal-side-tables-and-end-tables-prbr1-br~t_534~a_1137-6314

Cozy up the seating arrangement by grounding it on a larger area rug. Make it big enough to pull it under the front 1/3 of the sofa and have the two chairs sit entirely on it - everything 18" or less from the coffee table for that cuppa to be easily put down. Use painter's tape on the floor to experiment with the size. Always go up one size if what you tape out isn't a standard size. Once you have these basics in place, photo again and let's see what else you may need to do.

1stgarden thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 5 years ago

Ah, there! See! decoenthusiaste can do it because she's been IN your home!! :-)

• 5 years ago

Hi holly

The problem is I cannot imagine how I can be any more forthcoming then I am being. I've described my history, current status, persoanlity over and over. This thread has inspiration pictures above. These are the same pictures I would add to the idea book, so here or idea book, what does it matter! The important thing is I have provided inspiration pictures.

Simply, does the proposed furniture mimic the style /atmosphere/ look of my inspiration pictures?

I love the idea of unpacking my choices :)

The sofa will most definitely stay. I love the arms the legs the slightly curved back the light tapering of the rolled arms the tufting, it's calm sensual and inviting. But composed. Oh so composed!

The chair, it works. I would prefer something more feminine and curvy but I couldn't make this just a girls room I have to think of the hubby.

I love the coffee table and side table, they scream quiet elegance to me. The gold could go towards gaudy but I feel its discreet enough to not go there. I hate gaudy.

The dining chairs I LOVE!! I changed the entire table (from sleek silver chrome cabriole legs glass top rectangle table) to this current one to make the chairs work.

I love the damask silk on the chairs. I love the gentle blue paired with the soft cream... So elegant. I couldn't care less about the gilt. Mahogony alone would have worked fine but now I see this chair as it is, i wouldnt change a thing.

The table is up for debate. I just love pedestal type. And i dont like metals much so I'm only left with wood options. The table needs to fit in with the chairs but let the chairs shine.

The artwork. I generally love oil paintings over anything else. And it needs to be big enough to go behind the sofa. This reminds me of a modern oil painting (it isn't). It's got SO much depth to it I could stare at it for hours. I need art to evoke that kind of deep stiring in me.

Thank you.

Ps. The rug I want because it matches the wall paper and will the the individual pices together. The wall paper I like because it's the right tone of grey, shimmer and shyness. All in one! I generally love Laura Ashleys patterns.

• 5 years ago

Yay decoenthusiaste! You understand me haha.

There is no foyer, this is a small house just chopped up into multiple rooms. Just a long and harrow entry hallway with no space for seating.

The reason I didn't arrange furniture enclosed like my first inspiration picture is because beyond this room there is an extension. I'd like to leave it fairly open plan.

Can you magic up a way to use the formal dining chair in this room around a dining table?!!

The room is a 335 meters width by 528 length. However stairs come down into it so it's not really 528 length it's less.

• 5 years ago

Just ignore the rectangle table opposite the stairs. Imagine this formal chair with a circle pedestal table.

• 5 years ago

And instead of having a seperate sitting and dining room... we've decided to do this room as joint formal sitting /dining room and use the other room as a family room. Doubles the comfy seating space.

This is how the end "wall" is, it's just a big opening into the extension with bits of wall either side. Extension is tiny and not big enough for a comfortable dining room, as well as being really hot in summer and cold in winter, so small pulling the chairs out touches the walls! It will probably be a hobby room but thats not relevant.

• 5 years ago

Perhaps you should revisit your post about your room's dimensions. If a meter is just a bit larger than a yard, I assume you meant something else. Unless this is Versailles and even then...

1stgarden thanked dragonflywings42
  • 5 years ago

I think all your pieces look great seperately. Here is sort of what they would look like all together.

I think that if your wallpaper and rug were not so close in color that it would add more depth and interest. I love the dining chair however the legs seem to compete with the table legs. Also if the color of the fabric were a little richer it would add more interest. Love the sofa. The painting has great colors to pull it all together but it also has sort of horizontal lines going through which sort of cuts off the wallpaper, does that make sense?? The yellow chair is also great but it seems to compete with the sofa. I think your style is eclectic. I LOVE eclectic homes. I think if you select one piece to be the star of the show and then layer others on top of that, the overall look will be more cohesive. Wiith what you have right now, I think the items that pop are the yellow chair and the painting.

No, I do not think these items are in line with your inspiration photos. I am not a designer but If indeed, your style is eclectic from the furnishing your selected, I dont think the inspiration room is eclectic. At least not this particular photo. But maybe it is. Like I said, I am no pro. Maybe I would just simply flunk design school. LOL

I

1stgarden thanked ilikefriday
  • 5 years ago

Oh my god ilike friday that's AMAZING!!!!! AMAZING!

AMAZING! Thank you so much it helps tremendously to be able to "see" it like that.

Can I be cheeky and ask for something more... eek. Can you please put the chandelier above the coffee table area (where the light fixure is located) and possibly have four chairs around the dining table?! The lighter wood dining table.

Thank you again so much, it's AMAZING!

And yes I agree about the rug (tbh I'm relieved i was a bit scared of having such a light rug on the floor with the kids) what about a deeper grey shaggy rug?

• 5 years ago

Dragonfly wings I don't understand. Are you saying the room is too small? The figures are definitely correct.

• 5 years ago

HU you know this is an American site? :). I had to get used to using imperial all over again but even someone used to using metric it is still a totally different mind shift. lol. Think maybe you meant cm and not meters in the above comment.

IMO if some of your likes are more International and has maybe some Middle Eastern influences as you mentioned, does explain to my little American brain what you mean by opulent. :). Other than the gilded chair, everything else you have shown is ultra traditional.

I am no pro but think even with the diagram of the room and photos of items you like it seems to me a very difficult task without room photos for the pros to come up with a plan and design. Also imo if your house is 70’s, may going just a bit less traditional and simpler with some modern pieces thrown in may really suit it. But so hard to say without seeing the rooms again imo.

Can I ask when you will be taking possession of the house? Will you be able to post photos of the rooms you need decorating for at that time? Are you sure the current owner looks at the American Houzz site? Lol

1stgarden thanked wmsimons85
  • 5 years ago

Hi wmsimon... yes I figured it out some time last night! I realise what's stuffy to an American is downright normal for us :D

Shall I really throw a spanner in the works and mention I host afternoon teas hahaha.

So in the drawings the room measurements are in meteres and furniture measurements are in cm. Confusing I know - sorry!

We plan to have the keys in just a little over a month as this sale is part of a chain. I really can't post pictures here as she does frequent this forum (mainly for plants but house decor too) and she has a very ahm... individual decorating scheme currently in this room! It'd be instantly recognisable. I can post pics once she's moved out but i plan to order furniture very soon as it will take about 12 weeks to create the sofa and dining chairs! The arm chair will be a 6 week wait so I'm eager to get things moving.

• 5 years ago

What do we think of this arm chair? Shorter back, but curled arms and shapely legs that I prefer. Not overly masculine or famine.

• 5 years ago

Ok I've found it! (Upon furthur contemplation no to the chair and new table above by the way).

THIS coffee table:

And this dining table...

With the gilt chairs.

• 5 years ago

HU, I do like those last two photos and I would say they are more transitional style vs traditional, which I personally prefer.

Are you sure your room is 335 meters x 528 meters? :0

• 5 years ago

I am happy to do the renderings for you later this afternoon. I am headed out the door at the moment. For some reason right after I posted the renderings above the post disappeared for me. This is my first time seeing it again.

In the meantime, can you link the webiste where you find the dining chairs?

• 5 years ago

Wmsimon GOSH! :D

That's what was meant above! Hahaha! No sadly lol most certainly not! I (somehow)! Lost the decimal point.

So 3.35 and 5.28 :D

• 5 years ago

Ilike Friday many thanks! Super appreciate it. The chairs are from "french bedroom company".

• 5 years ago
    For some reason I can't see this thread on my computer or on my phone browser. I get the email notification but when I click it there is no thread. I just downloaded the app and it suddenly appears. I was able to see one post today on the computer then it disappeared. Maybe I am just going crazy. Hu I said I would do a mock-up for you but unfortunately I can't do that from the app and it seems I can't access you post any other way. I apologize.
  • 5 years ago

Hi ilike friday, don't worry at all! And no you're not going crazy because I suddenly cant see any pictures above anymore!

Doh!

Maybe some of the posters above that thought I was trolling or asking me to create an idea book, actually couldn't see the pictures I was posting up? Anyhow, they've disappeared for me but judging from what you've just said I should be glad at least the thread is still here :D

Thanks for your help anyway, your mock up was super helpful (as all the other comments). I've accepted my taste for this room strongly swings towards traditional and I'm not going to fight it or try to add sprinkles modern as they dont seem to be working! I love the newer coffee table (transitional? Modern?)

• 5 years ago

I can't see any of new pics attached

(the thread itself actually disappeared for me yesterday-I thought you took it down?)

now the thread is back but I can't see new pics

• 5 years ago

It was the same for me as likefriday, receiving email notifications but couldn’t access the thread until now. Look forward to seeing renderings!

By the way HU, lived in the UK, London area for over 20 years and none of the houses of friends, family and acquaintances there were of that sort of traditional style. :)

But other than the shops didn’t see up close and personal the lovely opulent styles of maybe the Middle Eastern influences you mentioned there. Did have to adjust my likes for the flat and squished look of feather decorative sofa and chair cushions to the more firm and plump look here though. Haha

• 5 years ago

Well now I see the comments but not a single photo other than the one I posted. LOL. I think this thread is cursed. Hu, maybe you should start a new thread????

• 5 years ago

I agree likefriday. I only see one photo from Lindsey and the two you posted. It appears they have been working on this thread to have been down all that time. Maybe the photos will reappear soon. Houzz has been having all sorts of issues lately apparently.

• 5 years ago

I feel as if I'm reading about the Emperor's New House, and New Furniture.

I can't see any of the OP's pictures in this thread. And I'm still puzzling out why someone who describes herself as "confident in my likes and wants and the odd one out. I'm the one that *doesn't* follow the crowds, I have no problems with authority but I tend to break the unwritten rules. Who wrote them anyway - because it wasn't me!" is on an advice forum, asking for advice she mostly doesn't like and doesn't seem at all keen to accept.

I can see the pictures in the first ideabook, and to me they look overwrought, sort of Joan Collins's idea of a "big old 'olden days' country house". While my own preference is the English country interiors of Ros Byam Shaw, Robert Kime, Ben Pentreath, Penny Morrison, Jane Ormsby Gore, Amanda Brooks (yes, I know she's American but she's adapted well lol), I would take a look through the Instagrams (and websites/blogs) of HillhouseVintage, Serena Fresson, Nina Campbell and (her daughter) Rita Konig, Gloria Gonzalez (and her blog here). Rita Konig offers one-day design workshops in the UK, which might be helpful,

http://ritakonig.com/products/workshops/

And Nina Campbell has a new book out shortly, "Elegance & Ease" which might be worth a look for some ideas,

http://littleaugury.blogspot.com/2018/09/elegance-ease-nina-campbell.html

As for picking a name out of the air to use instead of HU-338309200, it's not that a name gives any of us a false sense of belonging, but it goes far in helping us to distinguish you from the recent army of HU-4983892020, HU-9653434245, HU-338309199, etc. Think of it as a little kindness to the other forum members, who find something like "Liz" or "fairygodmother" or "RedRose" easier to deal with than a long string of randomly-generated numbers.

1stgarden thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • 5 years ago

Thank you Becky for the links, really helpful!

Thank you to everyone else too.. not for laughing at my taste ;) but helpful critical comments.

I have ventured into the world of original antique art!

I'm having an absolute blast and coming across pieces that really speak to my soul. It's invigorating. I've got an appointment at this one art gallery - fingers crossed I think I've found "the one".

So thank you for making this process fun again. I was getting really bogged down by it by this point, there's only so many times you can stare at furniture and try to imagine it in your setting.

I agree this thread is cursed!!! The universe is telling me to shut up and relax :) and God knows into what cyber galaxy all my pictures posted here have ended up at.

Once I'm in the house and furniture has arrived I'll be back with more "help me please" no doubt :)

Thanks again and I'll go back into my inconspicuous lurker mode