SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mpmg46

What type of chairs should I use , and what's my style? (pics)

mpmg46
15 years ago

My family room has been a frustrating room for several years now. We bought a new couch/overstuffed chair a year or so ago, but didn't measure the furniture (I know, big mistake!!) So the room has been rearranged a dozen times to try and accommodate this issue. At this point, the couch and EC need to stay where they are as they are in the best places they can be. I like them where they are at, as they give us the most space possible, without blocking the windows or entryway. One of my goals is to have a bit more seating as we have company often enough and it seems more comfortable to have 2 chairs, so everyone's not on the couch together.

So what I'm thinking is the overstuffed chair needs to go and be replaced with 2 smaller, but comfortable chairs, one on either side of the end table. Any suggestions here? What style, color chairs? The walls are SW Madademia and the couch is an olive green.

Also, can anyone tell me what my style is? I guess I feel like it's somewhat traditional, kind of casual, maybe a bit transitional? Obviously, I'm somewhat clueless here! I know the EC is mission(ish), right? Do I have too much going on? I guess I just don't know if my room is coming together at all or if people look and say "What the h@$% was she thinking, poor soul?" lol

Any (ok, almost any! LOL) suggestions would be great!

From the kitchen view:

{{!gwi}}

So you can see the couch:

{{!gwi}}

The area that definitely needs help:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (27)

• ohgoodness
    15 years ago

Well, I think a sectional would work well with on side going across in front of the tv and the other going where your current couch is. Gives a nice division from the kitchen into the room, but also gives lots of comfy seating. Of course that might not be in your budget, so then maybe move the couch in front of tv and the chair off to the side where the couch is now. Then maybe one or two smaller chairs in front of the window depending how much room you have left over. You could always just pull in some dining room chairs to put there when extra company is over.

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A sectional isn't in the budget now. I've tried the couch where you suggested...unfortunately, there's barely room to enter the room.

So I'm thinking (which I've been thinking for a year now) that I completely screwed up in buying furniture that's way too big for this room. But there's not much I can do about it. I like the furniture...I just need the room to miraculously grow I guess. I'm so mad at myself. I love being with people and having them over, but I'm so self conscious now about having people over, b/c I feel like the room looks ridiculous. Would changing the overstuffed chair out for two smaller chairs help fix my big mistake?

• Related Discussions

what type of oil should i use with my car overheating?

Q

Comments (2)
    febc synthetic oil is less prone to breakdown under high heat conditions. It sounds as though you have a airflow thru the radiator problem. Have you cleaned the radiator fins and checked your cooling fan for proper operation? I would probably concentrate on that area instead of changing to a synthetic oil, the stuff is expensive and really not much better than regular oil, the key to a high mileage engine is proper maintenance, when you have a overheating problem you best repair it immediately, your engine will not last very long if overheats no matter what oil you run in it.
    ...See More

What fabric style would you use in my dd's room w/ quilt (pics)?

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you, dilly. I like the polka dot, but I agree, it really doesn't work. Here is #3: Here is #4: How about #3 for the outside part of the crown, the solid pink sheet for the inside and for the topper, #4? Then #3 for curtain panels? Maybe a mix of #3 for the bed skirt and with #4 as a trim on it? And a very soft apple green on the walls? I think I need to order some samples to check the colors together.
    ...See More

What Style Chairs Should I buy???

Q

Comments (7)
    Putting your chairs in front of the window facing each other is not going to block the window, it's going to make it a part of the arrangement and enhance your view. If you are walking through, you will be above the furniture looking out the window. And if you are seated, if the furniture is perpendicular to and next to the window you will see out of it fully. The worst arrangement for blocking the window is to leave your chairs where they are and add more furniture under the window. Then when you are seated in your chairs you will lose the lower half of the window view and the couch under the window will just look at the wall and there will be a walkway between them. Actually, this is what I thought I suggested...Barcelona's facing each other in front of the window. You could have a small scale sofa or loveseat pulled up and the passageway behind them. [Industrial Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/industrial-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2113) by Birmingham Interior Designers & Decorators Tracery Interiors Or side by side facing a loveseat but on the window side of the room. [Modern Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2105) by Culver City Architects & Designers spfa.com
    ...See More

How often should I fertilize my bonsai and what should I use?

Q

Comments (0)
    > Probably the most important rule about fertilizing is to never feed a tree that is under stress. The causes of stress are many, ranging from over watering or under watering to newly pruned roots or disease. > Once again, it is so very important to know what type of tree your bonsai is. Different types have specific needs as to the type and frequency of fertilization. > Many enthusiasts who have some experience think the safest method, with no fuss, is 4 month type of 14-14-14 time release fertilizer, such as Osmocote. This is incorporated right into the potting mix or sprinkled on the surface and worked down into the mix. > Most broadleaf trees and tropicals can be fed with any general houseplant or garden fertilizer. > Conifers, azaleas and certain others can benefit from a monthly application of an acidic fertilizer, such as MirAcid. > Some growers include hormones such as Superthrive in their regimen to stimulate root production. > Trees should only be fertilized when in periods of active growth. This is generally from midspring through early summer and from late summer to early fall. > If your summers are extremely hot and your trees are outdoors, do not fertilize until temperatures have moderated and growth has resumed. > Likewise, do not feed trees in winter when they are either dormant or growth has slowed down. > Some growers prefer organic fertilizers over chemicals. This is an ongoing debate and much too lengthy to go into detail here.
    ...See More
  • Sueb20
    15 years ago

I do think that having two smaller chairs facing the sofa would work better. It would also give the room more interest because right now, all the furniture is solid and neutral, and the walls and floor also seem very neutral. So if you're shopping for new chairs, look for a patterned upholstery with some color -- maybe a stripe that incorporates the sofa color and other colors. Then you could also bring those colors across to the sofa by adding a couple of throw pillows to the sofa. Not that you asked, but I would also do something different with the photos you have on the wall. The collage on top of the entertainment center is much too high; I'd be surprised if anyone could really even see those pictures. The grouping of photos to the right of the EC are also hung too high. I wonder if you might be able to create one large grouping of all the photos on another wall, and hang them at eye level. It's hard to see exactly what's going on over the sofa, but to me, that picture also looks a bit too high. Art hung over a sofa should be hung lower than eye level, so it relates more to the sofa. So I'd move that down a few inches. And while I'm at it, sorry, but the picture hung over the lightswitch as you come into the room is also too high. Sorry! This is just one of my pet peeves. I do think you're off to a good start, though -- the room just needs a little tweaking and a dose of color.

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I guess I don't understand why blocking the windows is a real worry--you've got lots of them. If this is where you primarily watch TV and hang out, there's only one place to sit with an easy view of the TV.

If you want to have people over, are you going to sit and talk, watch sports, play games? I'd think about what you really want to do in that room, and shift stuff around. A stack of really big floor pillows would give you some versatile seating if you have younger people who want to watch TV.

I'd also move the small photo collection to one of the spaces between the windows, add a coffee table in front of the sofa, and maybe a colorful area rug to add some color. If you have another place for the wooden thing that holds the TV, I'd move it and put the TV on a smaller stand.

I'm not someone who insists on curtains, but that wall of windows could use some color and softening.

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Sue. It is very neutral. I'm a little afraid of color, if you can't tell! I like rusts (reddish/orange) though. Do you think they would go with the room?

Thanks too for the picture advice. The pic over the EC is only sitting up there, b/c I thought the same thing as you...so until it finds a better home, it's been there. I am really short, so I guess I always hang things higher than what my eye level is, b/c I think they will look funny from where I stand, at 5 ft. The ceilings are 9ft as well, and I wasn't sure about leaving a lot of "empty space" up there. Is that ok to do? Sorry, I'm clueless. I was hoping to find a standing light or something to put in the corner where the 4 pics are, and hung those ones high, so that eventually they would look right. But perhaps not. I'll try and lower the pics if that would make the room look more right. Thanks...

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here were the chairs I was thinking of...will something like them work with the rest of the room? I know I need to add color, and will in the pillows, throws etc.

{{!gwi}}

Oh and the reason I don't want the couch in front of the windows is that I don't like the big empty wall across the way. We used to have the Entertainment Center ("the wooden thing") on the current wall where the couch is and the light thru the windows, even with the blinds closed made watching tv impossible during the daytime. Thanks again everyone...

• nellie820
    15 years ago

Hi. I think your idea for two smaller chairs is a good one, and your inspiration photo is just what you should look for. Two chairs and a nice little table in between. Your entertainment center is lovely and is simply styled so that you can choose from a variety of styles for the chairs. I agree with Sue to choose a patterned upholstery. Crate and Barrel is having an upholstery sale through October 13; they have some very nice selections in both chairs and fabrics. Or if that's too high, I even saw a cute chair advertised at Value City. Haverty's also has some great buys if you are looking mid-range. Have fun...it's a very nice room.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

I like the chairs - they're more traditional. But I think they're still going to be too big for the room. You seem more transitional or casual, so I won't suggested small wood framed chairs, but what about a couple of (faux?) leather bucket swivel chairs? Those are fun, comfy, don't take up much room. Maybe in a light tan/pumpkin if you like those colors, or even in something really fun like red if you can stand it. And I would move the photo montage and the picture you have over the light switch over to the walls in between the windows. You also need valances at least (or are you doing drapes like in the photo above?).

• powermuffin
    15 years ago

Actually, you've got a start on a very nice room. I like the existing chair. It needs to be pulled in a little from the wall and angled toward the EC. You think the furniture looks too big, but I don't. To me the room looks empty. You don't have to have lots of space between things, just enough to get around comfortably. I would buy a smaller chair in a coordinating fabric, ideally with your rust in it. I would put it on the other side of the small table by the chair. And when I say smaller, I mean narrower, not shorter.

That room looks unfinished because there is no fabric on the windows, and almost no color anywhere and both of your upholstered pieces match. There are no surprises in this room. A patterned rug would help, And something on the windows, at least a patterned topper. You have a bit of color in the EC and blinds; this color can be used in additional accessories along with rust and maybe green. Hard to tell what the real color of your furniture is.

The collection of pictures needs to be added to; it is skimpy looking from what I can see. Or else substitute the pictures for some colorful artwork. I am sure you will get some other ideas. Good luck!
    Diane

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to help! I really appreciate it! I had valances up before, but didn't like them, b/c the windows are too far apart, but then not far enough. I don't know...I just didn't like the look. I'm thinking of doing drapes, but decorative ones on the two ends, that would be the same material as the adjoining morning room valances. I'll see if I have a pic of the material later tonight.

Nellie: Your store suggestions are wonderful. Thank you. I always forget about C&B...even though I really like them. I'll check out the other two as well. I like simple, if you couldn't tell! lol It's how I dress, etc. I like to "blend" in real life. What type of pattern would you suggest for chairs to coordinate with the style of the room?

Ajsmama: I do like the drapes in the inspir pic, but I'm not if that would be too much for the room, and make it seem crowded or small. ??? I'll try to rearrange the pics to the window wall and see if that works better as well. I don't think I can do red (partially b/c it's too much for me and we have more rust colors in the kitchen/morning room, etc. Thank you!

Diane: Thanks...I'll move the chair and see if that works. I like your idea for the chair (and it would be nice to only buy one and save $$ too!) The furniture is olive green. It does change though in different lights. The collection of pics are of the kids...any ideas for what I could do? Or if I take them down, what could I put there instead?

Thanks again all! Any other ideas for me??

• faithinthepalms
    15 years ago

You have received lots of good advice. I agree with others that your room is really pretty and very close to being pulled together. Also, wanted to let you know I love your harvest decorating on top of the EC - looks great!

• goldeneyedaisy
    15 years ago

This room already looks very nice. I agree that some drapes between the windows will add a lot of warmth. If you decide to buy couple of smaller chairs, you should look for some more color & texture

Maybe something like this???

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Mira-8-way-Hand-tied-Paisley-Arm-Chair-and-Ottoman/3348501/product.html

Did you try moving your end table on the other side of your couch? It must be hard watching tv for someone sitting that close to the EC. There is only one thing that bothers me - all those small pictures on the right of your EC. It's probably because of the photo montage sitting over your tv; they don't belong to the same part of the wall, but at the same time they are not separated... I may be wrong, but I just feel something is not right there... What do you think?

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    15 years ago

faithinthepalms: (I'm intrigued by your username, what does it mean, if I may ask?) Thank you for your kind words.

golden: Thank you as well. The chair you found has the perfect colors and looks comfy too. I'll have to think about it. As for tv watching, it's only my DH and myself. The kids are still little, so generally, it's only 2 at a time watching tv. Eventually, our plan is to finish the basement and get the tv out of this room. We're not big tv people, nor do we want our kids to be necessarily. So I'd like for the room to be able to more for conversation/reading/etc. I think I'll be rearranging pictures very soon. Unfortunately, the other table doesn't fit on the other side of the couch...I wish I knew where my head was when I forgot to take measurements of the room/furniture. Thanks again for the great ideas and picture.

• faithinthepalms
    15 years ago

Hi! To answer your question re: my username, My name is "Faith" and I live in Florida, hence "the palms". I found the kitchen forum first because we are redoing our kitchen. But I like to lurk here, too. Nice to meet you!

• User
    15 years ago

I would put the upholstered chair with its back to the camera in the first photo you posted, and get slipper chairs in a subtle stripe (incorporating the lighter colour of your carpet, the colour of your existin upholstery, and one or two others) on either side of the small end table.

Alternatively, you could get two smaller "pull-up" chairs, which are typically wood frames with an upholstered seat and back, as your additional chairs. They are comfortable but aren't the type of chair that one would sit in for a long time watching television. OTOH, they take up less "visual" room because of their wooden legs and more airy appearance.

I think that two additional chairs of the size and type you posted in your inspiration photo will overpower the room, as would another sofa. Perhaps they would work if you could get the big chair that matches your existing sofa into another room.

• les917
    15 years ago

I would move the EC to the corner that is to the right of the entry to the room, and angle it there.

Then put the couch on the wall where the EC is now. Matching smaller club chairs in a subtle print or stripe that sit near the wall on either end of the couch, angled to the tv.

The large chair stays where it is, but pulled out almost to the edge of the carpeting, and angles to the couch on the end wall. Floor lamp tucked on the right and behind the chair.

If you want the space to be for sitting, reading and entertainment, and have TV watching low on the priorities list, then I would tuck the tv out of the way, rather than make it the focal point of the room as it is now. Honestly, I would feel like I was tucked away in a corner with the current placement of the couch.

Get a couple of end tables and lamps to use between the ends of the couch and the chairs on either side. Then you have no need for a coffee table to take up space.

• goldeneyedaisy
    15 years ago

I was hoping for Les to show up and help :) Les, I think your ideas are great!

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all, again!

Les-I love your idea...it was one of the first plans that I tried when we got the new furniture. The EC was a bit large for that corner unfortunately. (It's been in both corners and along the couch wall already!) I also tried the couch on the wall where the EC is, but that wall is shorter and the couch pretty much went from end to end (from what I remember), so no room for a table. But I'll measure and try again.

While this is the room that we do watch tv, I agree with you...I do not like it looking as though it's the center of our lives, b/c it's not! I'm wondering if maybe I put the tv on a smaller table (I have one or two that may work) and put it in the corner you said, then move the couch, either to the windows or the back wall, if it works. Thanks for your help!

kswl: I love your idea about chairs with legs, for a more roomy look. That never occurred to me. I like the idea of a slipper chair as well. I'm considering turning our DR into a reading room, since with small kids, we don't use that room much at all! We have a morning room with a table large enough for us and more, so losing the DR is not really an issue. So if we change the DR, the overstuffed chair would go in that room.

I don't love the EC...it's a Sauder piece that we bought years ago. The *only* nice thing about it is that is has great storage for dvds/cds/kids puzzles & games and even the sides have tons of storage for books etc. Our plan is to send it to the basement, if and when we ever finish it. In this market, we don't want to do it, b/c we may move in the next few years and would never recover the $$.

One more question?? Can I do decorative curtains on the two far ends of the windows? So the middle window would be open? I do want to add some color, softness, coziness, but it seems like curtains on all 3 windows is way too much. I've tried valances on all three, but they did nothing for the room and made it seem very choppy to me, if that makes sense?

Thank you again, everyone...I wish I knew what I was doing...this is really helpful. At least I know for sure to measure next time before I make a purchase this big. :)

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, so I remeasured today and I think Les' plan will work. I'm not sure why I thought it didn't before. Not a whole lot of function in my brain these days it seems!! LOL

I have to wait until my DH is healed from his recent surgery to be able to move the EC. It's way too heavy for me. Thanks again to anyone who followed my saga. I appreciate it!

So now, my question is this: Will it look funny to have a couch on the EC wall? It faces the kitchen.

• deltabreeze
    15 years ago

If the couch fits there and you don't want to watch tv from the kitchen, I think Les' plan is excellent. The couch, ottoman and art are more interesting to look at than the EC. Plus, this would give you a very nice sitting area. Go for it!

• susan209
    15 years ago

I was just going to say what 'powdermuffin' said....didn't read the rest of the replies. I would pull that chair around a bit more with the basket behind it and possibly get another chair for the far side of the table in a print of some sort to get a little more color in the room. I do like your room and would keep the pieces you have as they look comfortable but you just need color, print or something down from the table, looks a little blank to me.

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So I measured everything, then put it all into a program online for DH to see and he agreed to move the EC (once his surgeon gives him clearance to).

It seems as though we will have room to add a nice little chair with some color as well then with Les' plan for the layout.

DH did say that now he couldn't watch tv from the kitchen...which is fine by me! I hate it "yelling" for the whole house to hear b/c he's in the kitchen! Two problems solved I guess! :)

Thanks again. Once we rearrange, I'll post pics, as I'm sure I'll still need some guidance in decorating.

• deltabreeze
    15 years ago

By the way, those new (to me anyway!) gliding pads for heavy furniture work really well. Some are designed for sliding over carpet; others for sliding on wood floors. I think the ones for sliding large objects (like your EC) over carpet cost about $20, but probably would be worth it. It also would make moving your couch easier.

• Susan
    15 years ago

i think your room is off to a fabulous start.
    but since you asked--if it were me...
    first i'd find a fabric i love, (sheets,premade,etc.)then make great drapes and valances for that window wall.
    add the smaller chairs,picking up the fabric colors there with pillows,trim,etc. maybe move the ec into the corner where the couch is,,trying the couch (at an angle ?) in front of the windows,,big chair closet to the entry on the left and smaller chairs scatered about.
    i was a fraid of color for most of my life. two years ago i hired a consultant for fifty dollars and went wild. it looks so amazing--and i wonder why i waited so long.
    best of luck,,i hope you post pics as you get going.

• User
    15 years ago

I love the idea of simple curtain panels (that would not close) hanging at your windows, and agree that three separate rods would be too much. You could, however, do one nice long black iron rod at least 6" above the tops of the windows and hang panels on it using small rings and pinch pleats at the top. Or if you like the look of wood, you could do a nice substantial 2" wood rod with finials at both ends, and hang the curtains either directly from the rod through a pocket, or again using rings with pinch pleats or French pleats at top.

The long vertical length will make your ceiling feel higher. Valances add another horizontal line to the window... I'm not a fan of them for windows like yours. :)

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So I bought the curtains that match the valances in my morning room, which adjoins the FR. But they don't seem long enough. They fall just below the window. The ceilings are 9", the windows are 75 inches on the inside, the curtains I bought are 84 inches. It seems like they should go pretty close to the floor (not necessarily touching though). Am I right? I thinking if I buy the rings, that will give it more length, as well as let out the 2 1/2 inch hem at the bottom. I'll try and post a picture later on of what I mean if I get a chance.

delta: Good idea. I may pick them up. We've moved it before, it's just a slow go, but the coasters would make it much easier.

kswl: Thanks for your reassurance. It makes me feel like I'm headed in the right direction when someone else has the same idea--esp about valances with these windows. It just doesn't look right. I do like black iron, which is what I have in several other rooms, and just found decorative ones in JCP catalog that I like and got a coupon from them yesterday, so I'll order them this week I think.

fallingwaters: Thanks for your encouragement. I think I have the plan figured out and will move it all soon. It's nice to "meet" someone else who knows about color anxiety LOL! Do you have pictures of what you've done? It sounds like you've pulled it all together.

Now I just need the man to move the furniture and I'm good to go. Thanks for everyone's input, ideas and suggestions. It is most appreciated!

• User
    15 years ago

mpmg46, you are really zooming along with your plans! You'll be finished before you know it :)

My curtains fall just short of the floor, about a half-inch above it. I don't like puddled drapes in my own house, although I have been known to swoon over them in other people's homes. I think you'll be fine with those curtains when you let out the hem. Just hang them as close to the ceiling as you can to get the maximum "height" benefit.