SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

(OT) Stuffing the genie back in the bottle

Box moth arrived in our area about six years ago. The first year I did nothing, watching to see what would happen, and lost half a dozen plants; it was clear that, if I wanted to continue to have box on my property I'd have to act, and so the next year DH and I sprayed Bacillus thuringensis, treating all the 80-90 plants scattered over the garden, and successfully defending them. Since then we've sprayed once or twice a year when we found infestations, always doing all the plants. This year there was no spring infestation: Good, I said, and didn't spray. I went away for a month in July, and when I came back found an infestation in course. DH sprayed, but it was too late: the moth had completed its growth cycle, and since then we've spotted new outbreaks every week or so, spraying, not every box, but all the plants in that part of the garden. It's a killer job. The sprayer is heavy, the ground is steep, the box population is large, temperatures are high. DH has been doing the spraying this summer in spite of his 83 years, a fact not to my credit. If I can make myself do so, I think this time we should spray the entire box population. We have a week of hot dry weather forecast and it might be an opportunity to choke off the infestations. There's not much box left locally. One place on the way to town had a good number of carefully pruned plants that survived until this year, but now they look dead. The only way so far to keep box alive is to spray: if the plants aren't treated they die. This current infestation has, I believe, finished off about five of my plants, all mature specimens of miniature box, which is particularly susceptible, perhaps because of its dense foliage. Box moth comes from Asia and there are no native defenses to it, which I suppose is why it's so devastating.

Comments (10)