SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kqcrna

OT- weather again- Fall's here!

kqcrna
16 years ago

It has been so incredibly hot and dry all summer, it's been too miserable to do any yard work. Last weekend a cool front came, finally bringing a little rain. Temps dropped to the mid 80s for most of the week, and nights got considerably cooler.

It's 48 degrees now! What a change! The high today to be 68, low tonight in the low 40s! The local weather person just said some areas around here could get a light frost tonight. It's only supposed to get to 75 tomorrow, but by Monday it's back in the 80s and stays there for another week. Still, a wonderful improvement. If only it would rain.

I've been trying to yank some stuff that has fungus, and others I just want to limit the reseeding. The ground is so hard, I can't get a shovel, digging fork, or anything else into the ground to get the plants out of the ground. I think my husband is going to mow the lawn today so I'll get some grass clippings for my compost, probably take time to flip and water the whole pile. After that, I hope to get hubby out there with a shovel, digging out plants for me. I have to start cleaning up the beds for fall.

I have so many plants to move, too. Toward the end of spring I ran out of space for new plants, so many perennials ended up stuffed in right next to one another. In some cases they've gotten so big that I'll have to dig out both to move one. I hate to transplant anything when it's this dry but I'll be running out of time to get it done. It'll soon be leaf season, too, time to collect and shred leaves and hoard for next year's compost. Trees are starting to drop leaves already because of the drought. In many the foliage didn't even change colors first. I think a lot of folks who haven't watered will lose their trees.

Looking forward to a good weekend, finally getting something done.

Karen

Comments (19)

Sponsored