SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sashac

How can I make my Kitchen BRIGHTER?

sashac
5 years ago

We recently moved into this open-concept, window-filled home. But the kitchen is a black hole.

I've done the following: painted the walls (Grey Owl, BM), painted the table white and installed glass light fixtures. It's still not cutting it.

All new counters is too expensive right now. New backsplash? (You'll see white subway tile I've been considering). Paint cabinets? (walnut and in great shape).

Honestly, I just need some advice and ideas! You'll make my day. Thanks!

Comments (52)

• User
    5 years ago

There is way insufficient lighting. Get an electrician and remedy that.

sashac thanked User
  • sashac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

sounds good. What do you suggest for keeping the area looking bright during the day?

• Related Discussions

Need help making kitchen brighter - x post

Q

Comments (13)
    Looks like its going to be a beautiful kitchen! I had similar concerns and what I did was to change out two of the floodlight bulbs in the recessed cans to spotlight bulbs. I have eyeball trim on my recessed lights that allows me to point the light beams, perhaps you can change to that kind of trim? So then I adjusted the spots to shine on my island which is my main prep area. It made a big difference! The whole room seems brighter, I think because of the concentration of light in the center of the room in the main work area. And all it took was changing two light bulbs! the rest of my can lights have floodlight bulbs for general illumination.
    ...See More

Can I paint my kitchen cabinets a brighter white than my trim?

Q

Comments (2)
    Well you can, but if the paint police find out, I’ll disavow any knowledge of it ;-) You’re not really looking for a “brighter white,” you’re looking for a tile and paint combination with similar undertones. White Dove is a yellow white. If the tile you love makes this apparent, try a white with cooler undertones. Chantilly Lace is beautiful, and much cooler than the White Dove. It might be a great choice. White Dove Chantilly Lace
    ...See More

What color should I paint my kitchen to make it brighter?

Q

Comments (9)
    Those countertops are tough. I don't care for either paint color in your photos but but original is definitely better than the Sea Salt. I like pink and grey together, though - have you considered playing up the pink with accessories and painting the walls a very pale, crisp true grey? I'm not familiar with all the brands and colors like some of the experts here, but Benjamin Moore Greytint or Grey Cashmere might work, or Sherwin William's Passive.
    ...See More

making my rooms brighter and cohesive

Q

Comments (27)
    I'd choose neutral light curtains- linen or cotton canvas in soft white. In LR- Hang as close to the ceiling as possible and allow them to stack outside the window to increase the Window's size. I'd choose an oil rubbed bronze rod for a bit of black -an old design rule- very room needs a bit of black. If curtainsxare for a sliding glass door- no valances. Valances draw the eye down and give a heavy feeling. Think airy and light. Hang as high and as wide as possible and allow them to stack the outside the glass & against wall if possible
    ...See More
  • junco East Georgia zone 8a
    5 years ago

Can you change the bulbs in the pendants and recessed lights? Maybe add another pendant over the sink and under cabinet lights.

sashac thanked junco East Georgia zone 8a
  • sashac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I can change the bulbs and add more lighting, but I really would like to not depend on having the lights on all day to keep it bright. Any other design ideas?

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Regarding daylight, changing out the backsplash would help a bit, but I think it's more about windows.

The valance and upper cabinets around the sink window kind of create a tunnel effect. You'd probably see an improvement during the day if you can remove the two cabs and valance.

If you replace the backsplash, it might be a good situation for subway from counter to ceiling around the window. Maybe a slightly glossy tile would help reflect light around as well.

sashac thanked sheloveslayouts
  • sashac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

those ideas makes sense to me! Thanks so much, benjensbride

• Sammy
    5 years ago

You need more light, period. You could remove those two cabs flanking the window above the sink and actually enlarge the window, or add a skylight, but even doing one of those won’t necessarily help if the sun is on the other side of the house.

sashac thanked Sammy
  • suedonim75
    5 years ago

Taking the scalloped thing off between the cabinets will help a little too.

sashac thanked suedonim75
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Remove valance above sink and maybe install a small glass/glittery chandelier over the sink that can reflect any sun that shines in through the kitchen window.

Oh, and switch to daylight LEDs

sashac thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

When all is said and done, the cabinets are very dark and that does make a considerable difference. Painting them off-white would be a consideration and would look good with your dark countertops, which now don't make that much of a statement. Off-white subway tile would look very good for the backsplash.

sashac thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • suedonim75
    5 years ago

I wouldn't remove the 2 cabinets, I'd turn the lights on before I'd lose the cupboard space.

• alex9179
    5 years ago

My kitchen has a slider on the north end and one west-facing window. I painted the dark cabinets a shade of white, the floor was a white tile, I painted the laminate counters to look similar to zinc. It was better but still dim, because of its orientation to the sun.

Because of Harvey, we're changing some things around and one of them is better overhead lighting, like a LOT. Zones are switched separately and on dimmers. I removed several uppers and those that will remain have been wired for ucl. The cabinets won't be dark but both them and the floor are browns. Oh, and I put in an 8 ft slider but that is more for moving furniture in and out.

Unless you can change how much sunlight gets to a room, like installing Sola-tubes or similar, lighting will have the biggest effect.

• sashac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sophie- I’ve been griping about this dark kitchen for a bit now... why stop now? LOL. Sue, Ingrid, Sammy and Anna, great ideas. Thanks bunches!

• Cece
    5 years ago
    Don’t paint beautiful walnut cabinets if they’re in good shape. Agree with recommendations to remove cabinets around the window along with the wooden valance there. Improve lighting, add a light tile backsplash to the ceiling (remove short granite backsplash). Down the road replace the countertop with something lighter. Think you’ll feel very differently about your space.
    sashac thanked Cece
  • sashac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ooooooh. That makes a big difference too. What you do you think if we just changed the island counter tops? We would look weird?

• localeater
    5 years ago

I would incrementally do the following, stopping when I was happy

1) remove the valance over the sink

2) add more overhead lighting

3) add under cabinet lighing

4) replace the backsplash

5) replace the island countertop

Removing the cabinets around the sink is a good idea but I am function over form person, so I would have to know how much 'stuff' you have to weigh in on that. Personally I have 0 wall cabinets and I would never go back, I find it freeing.

sashac thanked localeater
  • localeater
    5 years ago

The light countertops do make an enormous difference, but the pictures housegal posted have LOTS of lights on. You need lighting.

I personally have dark cabinets, and I would never paint yours they are gorgeous. I have light countertops and i have TONS of natural light. In the morning I pull down the solar shades and it is still bright.

If you have the budget to fix the lighting and still do the countertops go for it, but if you dont fix the lighting first.

sashac thanked localeater
  • grapefruit1_ar
    5 years ago

Also, remove the brown blind.

sashac thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    5 years ago

Undercabinet LED lighting could really help and is not very expensive.

• apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

Add two LED panel lights that look like skylights. https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-panel-light/

• S. W.
    5 years ago
    Changing only the island countertop would not look weird. Ive been in many homes where the island was its own statement, not just part of the cabinetry. Some islands have seen are just a different color & some have a different surface material - butcher block, concrete, tile, etc.
    My thoughts- If you love the cabinets, do not paint them. If you dont love them, painting them will make a world of a difference. Buying new doors for them is another option. White subway tile is a great idea. So is under cabinet lighting.
    sashac thanked S. W.
  • chispa
    5 years ago

The counters will make the most difference. The kitchen I just gutted had medium stained cabinets with very dark green counters and backsplash. The new kitchen has darker stained cabinets, but the counters a off-white and the backsplash will be similar. The counters changed the whole feel of the space.

sashac thanked chispa
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

lighting will make the most difference, followed by replacing the dark granite.

Try the lighting first. you need more recessed lights, LED's. I also have a dark kitchen. The one window in there faces north and it's under a covered front entry. luckily light spilling in from the other rooms keeps it from looking too much like a cave. I still have about 10 LED lights in the kitchen. And I keep on under cabinet lighting, in one section, 24-7. that's probably the 2nd thing you should do. get some LED under cab lights and stick them under the bank of cabs next to fridge and to the right of the window. That alone should help out a lot. (remove the valance too)

there are many diff kinds to choose from

if you decide to replace your splash, take off the 4" granite piece and replace w/tile down to the counter. it's one or the other, not both. and I wouldn't do a bright white as it would be too much of a contrast w/all that dark.

sashac thanked Beth H. :
  • gallagk
    5 years ago
    Hi. Nice kitchen. Not a fan of the stark white tiles. Keep what you have and add lighting both overhead and under cabinet. Don’t block the light from the kitchen window.
    sashac thanked gallagk
  • grewa002
    5 years ago
    Maybe painting the island a light color?
    sashac thanked grewa002
  • Lee Baer
    5 years ago

Paint the cabinets.

sashac thanked Lee Baer
  • sashac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beth, , thank you for all the good information and pics

• salonva
    5 years ago

I agree it's a very nice kitchen and the components look to be of very nice quality. that said, definitely add under cabinet lighting. I do think changing the countertops would make a huge difference but can understand not wanting to rip out perfectly good... I think I can see that adding the under cab lighting, and then perhaps changing the backsplash can go a long way. And yes if you want to just change the island countertop that might do well and give good bang for the buck.

sashac thanked salonva
  • artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Remove the black granite backsplash trim.

Keep the dark horizontal line flat & prevent it from visually creeping up wall.

sashac thanked artistsharonva
  • artistsharonva
    5 years ago

There some things that people mentioned that will help some.

However,

Dark cabinets = darker space & needs sunshine

Light does not reflect well off dark surfaces.

This is why the space sunlight should be determined before choosing colors.

I avoid using dark cabinets unless there is a lot of natural sunlight in the room, because this is what happens.

Having to turn the lights on in daytime everyday is what is needed to lighten up the dark area. Not ideal,by no means, but it is what it is.

Yes, a new backsplash, new light countertop would help a lot. But, if you really not liking dark cabinets, then I don't suggest investing too much into something you don't love.

So, with all that, if you want a nice bright kitchen in the day. More windows, new bright painted white, creme cabinets, light countertop, light backsplash, some glass cabinets to reflect sunlight.

sashac thanked artistsharonva
  • tenamarie123
    5 years ago

Would NOT paint all of those cabinets, they are gorgeous!! I would however, paint the island in an off-white, remove the scallop over window, many more recessed lights in kitchen area and when/if budget allows, remove cabinets above sink and then get a bigger window!!

sashac thanked tenamarie123
  • 2pups4me
    5 years ago

Our kitchen is dark and I have white cabinets. You need more lighting. I tend to keep the light on over the sink most of the day. Our house has southern exposure but we’re on a heavily wooded lot, so the trees block the natural light. Installing better lighting will do more for your kitchen than painting the cabinets.

sashac thanked 2pups4me
  • Nicole R Dsp
    5 years ago
    Lights first (can’t create natural light if it isn’t there), then splash and counters once you really “see” what you are working with.
    sashac thanked Nicole R Dsp
  • sashac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

UPDATE:

I've taken all of your advice to heart and it has really helped me! My husband and I have removed that nasty old cornice and trim piece above the window and also removed those brown blinds.

It looks so much brighter already!

Next up, calling an electrician, taking down the granite apron on the backsplash and putting white/cream subway tile on backsplash and above window wall.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

much better. your cabinets are really very nice. getting a new backsplash will help a lot.

personally, I'd get new handles. the ones you have are a tad too small (they should be longer). so, since you already have the holes, and if you went longer they would show, you can get something a little thicker or heavier.

maybe do the bin pulls for your lower drawers.

you could also choose to put in glass on the cab near the sink. if you did a frosted or wavy glass, you wouldn't have to be as 'neat'. if you are neat and have cool glasses, then do a nice seed glass and paint the back of the cabinet in a brighter color or wallpaper

sashac thanked Beth H. :
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

It's so fun to contribute to a thread and see someone post pictures of changes. Thank you for keeping us posted!

• redsilver
    5 years ago

Paint the ceiling white? if it is not already.

• loobab
    5 years ago

Have you thought about getting a couple of Solatubes?

It won't get you more light in the evening, but it would make a lot of difference in the daytime.

• dan1888
    5 years ago

Go to Costco and pick up one or more 4 packs of Feit 3000k dimmable 90+CRI 100w replacement 17.5w led A19(regular screw-in) bulbs. 15,000 hour life. With rebates they're only $4-6 or so/4. At 17w each you can turn them on when you're working during the day. Install them in your recessed cans. 1600 lumens each will light up your space including the work surfaces. Put them on dimmers your kitchen will be too bright.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Are you keeping the shorty cabinets or are you replacing them with a full height backsplash?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

dan, 3000K is way too yellow for a kitchen. she needs a 4000K and up.

however, Costco does carry the retrofit recessed LED lighting. cans/trim kit, in a 4 or 6 pack, for super cheap.

• sashac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beth, you are a wealth of info. Thanks so much. What color pulls would you do? Black or brushed nickel? Benjesbride: I figure if you all are so sweet to take time and give me advice, I want you to know I'm listening! Not sure about the shorty cabs yet. I kind of need them but it sure would look amazing to have those gone and that entire wall a cream subway tile. hmmmmm

• sashac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have no clue what a sola tube is but I'll check it out. P.S. I want to be neat (glass doors on cabs) but being an artist by trade, that isn't I my cards. HA!

• sashac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Any thoughts on either of these tiles for the backsplash? One is Vanilla, the other White. Tiles measure 3x12.

• alex9179
    5 years ago

Re: Solatube

That's the name brand. Some others are ODL and Velux. Unless you have a 2nd story room over the kitchen, you're able to install a cover on the roof and the light travels down a tube in the attic that has reflective material. The opening in the ceiling can be round or square. It can make a huge difference in the amount of light in a room.

Some old threads

[what-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-solatube-vs-velux-solar-tubes[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/what-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-solatube-vs-velux-solar-tubes-dsvw-vd~453951)

[solatube-installed-what-a-difference[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/solatube-installed-what-a-difference-dsvw-vd~2665168)

[solatube-or-sun-tunnel[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/solatube-or-sun-tunnel-dsvw-vd~2588576)

[solar-tube-owners-please-weigh-in[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/solar-tube-owners-please-weigh-in-dsvw-vd~2257657)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

order samples of both. (tilebar has 5 for $5 and free shipping)

hard to tell which looks best until you place them up against your countertop. (but I think a softer white, rather than a bright white would work best)

they have this one too. byzantine bianco in a 2x9 (which i think is a perfect size for pitching. 2x9, 2x8, 3x9,,,all work well)

did you do the under cab lighting yet?

• sashac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Alex, we have a second story above the entire span of the kitchen and eat-in area. I appreciate all the links and information, though.

Beth, I didn't put under cab lights in yet. Maybe I should hold off on tile color/choice until I install that. Never hear of tile bar so I'll check it out. Thanks bunches!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

sash,,yes. they have some nice tiles. I just redid a bathroom for my neighbor and used two different tiles from them.

here's that last tile I showed you in a herringbone.

https://tilebar.com/byzantine-bianco-ceramic-tile.html

https://tilebar.com/lancaster-3x6-vanilla-polished-ceramic-tile.html

https://tilebar.com/loft-sand-beach-polished-2x8-glass-tile.html

if you like a frosted glass subway, these are a nice tone (comes in polished and other colors)

sashac thanked Beth H. :
  • sashac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

that's DIVINE, Beth!