SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hookeelao

re-potted into smaller shallower pots

hookilau
5 years ago

new plastic pots

I repotted my Arabicums today in these shallow pots I got on Amazon. There just isn't a whole lot of root to keep covered up with media. So I got to thinking the 6-8" terra cotta pots may be too deep for these guys.

Someone recently made a comment that Arabicums were prone to rot, maybe this is one reason. I hadn't thought to treat them any differently than my Obesums, and have never kept Arabicum before. However they kind of have round bottoms with lots of little roots as opposed to big ol gnarly knotted roots of Obesum.

The plant is just about sitting on an inch of media but that's it. The rest of the space is occupied by plant in the center with about an inch or so around to spare, full of media and that space to grow....for now.

This will be their winter home, I've ordered cheap LED's to try out this year, so we'll see. Normally, my plants winter in a spare room with regular fluorescent shop lights. Since the LED lights were so cheap, I thought I'd give them a go this year.

My Obesums will stay in deeper terra cotta pots for this season, in the Spring, they will get a good root chop!

This fella here just had too much going on to go in the shallow pots. I paid a pretty penny for him so not feeling too brave about a root chop, Spring or no =D

He's got 3 or 4 large thick roots that go straight down, I'm hoping roots will grow above them so I can do a chop with more confidence.

Comments (7)