SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

OMG...My Duet..DEAD

mamapinky0
5 years ago

It went up to high spin speed...noise was so loud neighbors came out of their houses...pic next

Comments (174)

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Roper is home. Its outside being externally cleaned than it will come in for a heavy duty internal cleaning. Some ru st along bottom cabnet but other than filthy it looks good. Anyway he was selling washer and dryer for 40...I didn't want the dryer but I gave him 40 for the washer and he insisted I only pay 20....good good deal. I will update later.

Whirlpool is looking for a service person to come pick this up and says I can order my new machine directly from Whirlpool on Tuesday even if this ones still here. I've decided to go with....Bobas rec of the Maytag. Listen I have complete trust in Boba..he knows his washers. Thank You Boba!.

• SEA SEA
    5 years ago

Whew! Resolution and light at the end of the laundry pile tunnel! I'm happy for you MamaP.

• littlegreeny
    5 years ago

Great news Mama! Sorry if I sounded harsh in my last post...I was worried you’d have to start from square one.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Awww Greeny I understood you. Thank You.

Sea ya it went for a test cycle and went well. Now its on a full hot bleach run.

Dadoes it is a one speed..no gentle cycle but that's ok. I'm content. Still will be happy to have my new washer with its heat. Lol

• georgect
    5 years ago

Yeah Mama...the Maytag MHW8200 looks to be your best bet.

It has PowerWash, Allergen, Sanitize, Steam, Bedding etc.

• boba1
    5 years ago

Mama, glad you made your decision. The new ones soon to be announced don't have Allergen, just Sanitize. And thank you for the compliment.,

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Boba...I just stated the truth.

George Thank You dear for the vid. I enjoyed watching it even though Mike thought I'd be more entertained watching the Hallmark Channel. Lol.

• Jeffrey Caban
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

MamaP,

Wasn't kidding about the Speed Queen in the Living Room...my 7 year old son Kris turned it into his "fort" area.

I really got move that thing...

Jeff

• dadoes
    5 years ago

You folks are all amateurs, LOL! ;-)

• SEA SEA
    5 years ago

I'm wondering what Mrs Caban thinks about the Speed Queen being part of the living room decor...

;)

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jeff. Kris knows what to do with that Queen since you don't. LOL...and the Chuckie doll has me cracking up.

Dadoes...I fully admit to being an amateur. Haha

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

I'd get it out of there ASAP. Cuz, seeing the hockey gear boxes, sooner or later The Kid will figure out that an open door on the Queen will make a very convenient open net.

• doreycrouse
    5 years ago

I know people who have used old appliances as hockey nets. It is very common!

• Rolando Z
    5 years ago

Most importantly.... what happened to the old Kenmore? Please tell me someone saved it.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Rolando I returned it to the seller. He runs a sort of business out of his basement. ..fixes up older top loaders and sells them. He said he will take care of the suspension, the cycle knob that doesn't work and clean it out. He said he got to thinking when I called him about these issues and doesn't think he did anything to this machine. I swear he has at least 50 washers in his basement. .he should probably tag each one when he's done with them. Anyway he was happy to refund my son his money. You will be glad to know he doesn't send washers to the dump unless they are completely hopeless and this one isn't hopeless.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yikes.

I did a load of white sheets yesterday which came out covered in grunge. .just horrid. I have had zero problems until this load. This is also the first load I added oxy to in the Roper. Liquid Dreft and Oxy White Revive...I think the Oxy started loosening the yuck which caused it to land on my sheets. I did a empty full fill hot loaded in chlorine bleach wash...than I followed Rolandos advice with a full hot wash with an entire box of cascade..shut down and let soak overnight. I had quite a bit come out but not all....right now its on another hot wash with White Revive. If this doesn't work I'll do a tear down on Tuesday. If it comes to this I will take and post step by step pictures.

This is not an unusual problem. It just shows top loaders have moldy problems if not cared for properly. .regular hot washes, chlorine bleach loads occasionally even if its just rags, and proper amount of detergent can prevent this.

Anyway at least I do know how to do a tear down and clean. But since I don't have a spanner wrench. .I will have to be careful...maybe ill have son make a makeshift one with a block of wood or use a radiator clamp. I checked this washer was manufactured 12/2002...so everything is probably glued on tight with oils/detergents ect.

Any other thoughts. ..ideas?

Thanks

• dadoes
    5 years ago

Mineral residue, corrosion, and rusting bonds parts together, not so much oils and detergents. Spanner nuts usually aren't a challenge but getting the inner basket loose from the drive block can be.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Dadoes....I remember getting the basket loose on the other Roper..what I job. Hubs kept insisting it had to be screwed on and I kept telling him keep working on it...lol

• georgect
    5 years ago

Mama...when are you due to receive the new Maytag?

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

George I'm supposed to place my order this Tuesday. Than it will take between 5 & 21 days to be delivered. I CANT WAIT.

I did another full hot wash and added 9 Finish tabs that I crushed up. I ran it and shut off for a soak than ran it two more times by turning the cycle knob around.....3 hot washes with nothing and 3 cold with nothing...all were crystal clear except the first. I think its ok but will still tear down and clean as I'm keeping it...in storage of course.

All this and I have a positive for the flu which as of last night I now have pneumonia. Cant say I've ever been so sick. Sick enough that it has me worried. But I'm dure I'll heal.

• doreycrouse
    5 years ago

Mama get some rest. You need it.

• Cavimum
    5 years ago

Oh noes, mamap, too much stress over your exploding Whirlpool washing machine disaster, the fallout, and now your immune system has taken a toll from it all. Please try to take care of yourself. (((Hugs)))

• boba1
    5 years ago

Mama, it sounds like the washer is usable. GET SOME REST. You won't be able to play with your new washer if you're 6 feet underground!!!!!

• Jody
    5 years ago

Hey Jeff, how's your stash of Ultra Plus holding up. LOL.

I am just now having to refill one of my 5 gallon buckets back up from my 20 gallon tub in the garage.

• Jeffrey Caban
    5 years ago

Jody,

I used up three the of 180 load boxes as I figured the Buckets would stay fresher longer. But as you know, I'm set for the next decade or two.

Mama,

Take care of yourself, get better soon.

Jeff

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank You kids!!

Boba..the new washer will keep me alive...probably the best medicine for me.

I'm down..can barely type my body aches. Laundry can wait but my 9 yo Chip started a load of sheets before going off to school..he's really turning into one of us laundry nerds. Said he used level super, hot water, added a cap of liquid Dreft and a shot glass of sodium percarbonate and a 1/8' cup of STPP. Let it agitate 10 minutes and shut it off. He gave Amiee orders to restart it at 10am and told her do not use fabric softener in sheets. This kid knows as much about washing clothes as I do. I'm very PROUD. No doubt when he'd old enough and has internet privileges he will head straight here. Lol.

Yes I'm laying down, realized I'm severely dehydrated so forced 2 quarts of sports drink down. I must remind myself people that die of this stuff is usually from severe dehydration. Now the dragon ( Amiee) stands over me forcing fluids. Lol.

Thank You and you all please take care.

• linus2003
    5 years ago

Get better soon, we all need you here ❤️

Lots of love to you and the dragon

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Can't talk. Too sick but my order was placed for the Maytag. I'll be back soon as I can.

Love you all.

• hcbm
    5 years ago

MamaP sorry you are still so ill. Rest. Glad you ordered your new machine.

• salonva
    5 years ago

MamaPinky I hope you feel better soon!!! Gots a lot to look forward to with that brand spankin[ new Maytag!!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Maytag MHW 8200 Has been ordered. It will take between 14 & 21 business days to arrive. It will come with new hoses...delivered and installed. I pay nothing. They of course gave me the standard warranty along with another 2 year extended. All at no cost to me. This entire process was so easy. I called and explained what happened sent 2 pics and that was that. Everyone at Whirlpool was very very nice and I believe went above and beyond to make this right. Remember I was out of warranty but of course this was not a typical broken washer.

I can't wait to play with this washer.lol.

They assure me that sanitize does indeed reach at lesst 158F. The difference in temps is my Duet has **cold cool warm hot** the Maytag has **cold cool warm hot and extra hot**

It has the Power Wash that is 3 hours long so you know I will LOVE that cycle. For those that don't know me..I'm not joking I really will LOVE it. Has a bedding cycle...whatever that's about. Lol.

I think I read that the detergent dispenser can be loaded for multiple loads but hope I don't have to use that as I prefer dosing each load myself.

Boba..do you know anyone with this model?

When this happened I wasn't going to call Whirlpool since I was out of warranty but with you all encouraging me to call anyway I end up with a new machine. ..all THANKS to you all. A HUGE THANK YOU to you WONDERFUL folks.

Boba Thank You for the recommendations..I had no clue where to start. Whirlpool told me this Maytag is the only washer they have that still reaches the super hot temps on sanitize. ...now whether that's true I don't know. But HOT water is a must for me.

Ohhh I'm soooo excited. I sure do wish Larsi was here. I will try to battle Facebook and let him know all about this. I've been there a few times but I get lost and cant figure it out ...its probably simple as I am with electronics. Lol. Anyway I thought about Larsi throughout this entire process. ..sure do miss him. Hes going to be really happy and excited for me and we know he's always been my biggest champion.

((((HUGS))))

• SEA SEA
    5 years ago

Great to hear the wonderful news! Hoping you and the new washing machine will be good friends for a long time.

• boba1
    5 years ago

Mama, the dispenser feature they are referring to is for liquid only. That load & go dispenser was a feature on mine too. As you would guess, since I have an aversion to liquids, I've never used it, in fact, I'm not sure exactly where my cartridge is lol. A pal from aw.org had this washer before he sold his house. He indicated the power wash cycle goes through various tumble patterns, incuding one that looks liike it's almost slowly spinning the load through the water. And Mama, hold on to your hat, this model is supposed to have a tub light. And it will stay on for the whole cycle--meaning you have to remember to turn it off when you odn't wanna peer in. I keep mine on while I want to sit there and watch it, and then turn it off when I'm not going to be looking at it again. The default on Allergen cycle is hot, but Extra hot is an option for that cycle. Naturally, Sanitize, default is extra hot. I calculate 14 business days to be Friday October 12.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OMG Boba a tub light...that means I can retire my head lamp. Lol...I will love the light feature.

Good to know I can dispense my own detergent.

I bet the power wash will be great for whites.

This washer sounds perfect for me.

Thanks Boba....I'm really excited.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Will a lazor thermometer measure water temps in a front loader? LOL.

• Jeffrey Caban
    5 years ago

MamaP,

On some FL a Laser will read correctly, on others with 2 layers of Glass/Plastic it's a bit tougher.

Jeff

• salonva
    5 years ago

Glad you are feeling better MamaP - to be wondering about the temperature of the water and excited about the drum light! That shows you are back to your real self.:)

• whirlpool_trainee
    5 years ago

If you (can) open the door during the wash, then yes.

The PowerSpray is cool. The fill flume covers a lot of the load and drenches the clothes in (liquid) detergent solution.

Congrats on your new washer!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank You. .... well I don't have a laxor T but hubs can borrow one from work when I'm ready for it.

My Duet was easy to test using a reg digital. ..when I hit cancel it immediately drained taking seconds than the door unlocked. .hopefully the Maytag does the same.

Salonva..yes temperature is a top priority for me and could probably rouse me from 6 feet under. LOL.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

Laser thermometers read the temperature of the surface at which they're aimed. Accuracy is compromised if the door has an outer plastic cover over the glass window. Getting a reading quickly after a cancel/drain (if there's no cool down flush first) is reasonable.

There's a way you could get an accurate reading if you're desperate LOL but you'll have to contact me via direct message for the details.

• HU-917564708
    5 years ago

Sounds like a good deal they threw you. There must be an obious manufacturing defect with the Duet you had. Companies, especially Whirlpool do not arbitrarily replace appliances out of warranty. I hope you get better service out of the Maytag. You are correct that this is the only model Whirlpool now makes that heats that Hot on 9ne or two cycles. The bedding is more water. Good Luck.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

HU, Thank you. I suppose Whirlpool stood up because it was classified more as a catastrophic failure as Dadoes stated above and Whirlpool used the exact words. I'm sure had it been anything else I wouldn't be waiting for my Maytag.

Whirlpool has some class action law suits against them do to this exact issue, the counterbalance breaking away. After receiving expert advice from everyone in this post before I made the initial call to Whirlpool I did a quick search and found other WP's that this big heavy hunk of cement (counterbalance ) blew out of the washer. I decided than if Whirlpool wasn't going to at the very least repair or reimburse me for my Duet I would have let the media hear and see my story. I'm very glad it didn't come to that but am still surprised at how smooth it all went. They made a decision on what to do for me during the first call. As I reflect back I realize they weren't only nice about it....they were too nice and too willing to please me quickly. I guess it's how fast they acted that surprised me.

It doesn't matter what brand of washer there's always a lemon somewhere, it's nice to know that some company's will stand behind their product and their consumers....not all of them do even when it's clearly a manufacturing defect. I have more respect for Whirlpool and I think after reading this story others will also.

Anyway it sure is great that the Maytag will have some nice hot water. When Boba mentioned this model I went to read the manual and pretty much decided right than I wanted it.

Enough from me lol lol

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Another thought ihave. I don't understand why manufactures can't clearly say in a manual ....yes this model has an on board heater and the sanitize cycle heats the water to xxdegrees. Seems they don't want people to know the Temps and will say things like...we don't know the temperature. ..well you designed and built it so you do know. Lol

Dadoes after I get the washer and play around awhile trying to check Temps I'll send you a message if I need help,and Thank You Dadoes.

Wondering if the Maytag has any hidden jelly beans. I guess you can tell I'm excited and ready to play.

• salonva
    5 years ago

uh oh. I just bought a whirlpool FL. In all openness, I had this same machine for about a year in the house we just sold. The new house we moved to had a 25 year old whirlpool toploader, which needless to say was not very functional. I finally decided to go with what I had before, and had it delivered last week. Fingers crossed

• dadoes
    5 years ago

The quote from an appliance store owner in the WSOCTV story linked above regards to spin speeds being a maximum of 400 to 450 RPM 20-25 years ago is 100% wrong.

As an example, Whirlpool direct-drive toploaders (dating from 1982) spun at 640 RPM. The older belt-drive design was 500 to 505 RPM. Old Maytags reached 618. The Maytag Neptune frontloader dating to 1997 reached 800 to 850 RPM.

Going even further back, GE's first toploader automatic in the early 1950s spun at 1,140 RPM.

Fisher & Paykel's SmartDrive design which dates within the 20-25 year range spins at 1,010 RPM.

Frigidaire's first models from 1947 also spun at 1,140 RPM (the design was discontinued for the home market in 1959 but continued for coin-op machines through 1964). The next home-market design in 1959 dropped to 850 RPM. Another redesign in 1965 upped it slightly to 1,010 on two top-of-the-line models.

• Larisa Batchelor
    5 years ago

I’m sorry the spin speeds are not correct I was just trying to show that others were having the same issue as momma pinky with their whirlpool machines. Seems like whirlpool is taking care of all their customers though which is the right thing to do.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

No need/reason to apologize. I didn't expect you had written the article. :-)

Just pointing out that there is often "editorializing" in news stories or lack of research to confirm info that is stated as "fact" by presumed experts.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Larisa Thank You for the link.

And to think I only thought this happened to Samsings.

Salonva what wasn't functionable about your old Whirlpool top loader? I always liked the older ones.

• sashanikki
    5 years ago

I haven't been on in awhile since we've been caught up replacing floors. But I'm glad Whirlpool gave you a replacement. How scary the original incident sounds! Glad it worked out ok!