SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristinwhatever

Landscaping on top of retaining wall - Help, please!

Kristin Genovese
5 years ago

This area on top of our back yard retaining wall has driven me crazy ever since we moved into this house 8 years ago. We (finally!) cut down the half dead cedar tree that was in the spot. Otherwise, I've had a couple of small knockout roses towards the right, which have since died, and there's a small patch of nepeta left. The area is about 20 feet long at the fence line. It gets some dappled morning light, turning to better light late morning and then some good sun in the afternoon. (Although farther to the left is mostly shaded from the large trees in the left of the photos.) I bought a couple of pink beauty hydrangeas I'd like to put on the left somewhere, and I've got some Little Lime hydrangeas I'd love to put in front of the fence since they can tolerate more sun. Not sure how many? And what companions for them? I'd love to get some perennials in there too. Please help!! I'm obsessing about what this space should/could look like but I'm afraid I'm going to make wrong choices if left to my own devices. (And yes, we're going to get rid of the neighbor's dead whatever-that-is on top of the fence.) I'm in St. Louis - zone 6. Thank you so much in advance for suggestions!!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths