SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blazedog37

What Size Dining Table Works With My Space

Helen
5 years ago

I am trying to decide what size dining table I should get for my dining area.

My designer is suggesting a round 48” table would fit best in the space in terms of both size and configuration. If I do this, I would get four real dining chairs and two relatively nice folding chairs. My lifestyle is such that I don’t host large dinner parties.

I did once have a 48” round table but it had an 18” leaf which turned it into an oval race track shape. Since I am planning to go with a glass top so that it doesn’t add more wood to the area, adding a leaf isn’t possible. The dining area has a bank of wood cabinets along the rear wall so that would be a lot of wood visually in a small space.

She says 54” is too large for the space. The width is approximately 9’ and length is not a factor as it’s an open plan so I could get a few inches more in length. She also says that I should not go with a rectangular shape as it wouldn’t fit well in the space.

Here is the layout for my condo as well as pictures of two units in my building with the same configuration to give more of a sense of what the space is like.

Should I go with 48” and be done - it seems a bit small. The issue of course is whether there is enough room for chairs/seating on either side of the 9” width of the table.

Thanks.

Comments (2)