SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crofton09

Novice looking to get serious

Cassie J.
5 years ago
Hello all! I've had the pleasure of reading some of your posts and I'm thrilled to learn more. I thought I'd introduce myself before I start asking away. I've been keeping houseplants regularly for 3 years or so now and I'm looking to learn more and collect more. I also know there are several plants in my collection that may need your help.

I've started to learn what works in my house and what doesn't. I live in SW Missouri, with mostly north facing windows. I run a humidifier in my bedroom to keep my Boston ferns going. I've been using a plant light for years now and as I learned here yesterday, that's probably why those plants (two lemon trees grown Pinterest style and currently my suffering jade) aren't happy. At this point I've been using bagged soil, but have learned that miracle-gro is equivalent to gnat grow and I'm currently working through a bag of Dr Earth. Most of my plants survived a fungus gnat war last year. I'd love to learn how to make my own soil and fertilize more appropriately. I realize I need to re pot many of my collection into growers pots and then use a cachepot now (I'll probably wait until spring unless you guys reccomend otherwise).

Here's a picture of my living area collection (they're not usually all on this stand). As you can see, the lemon trees and jade are hurting. The jade suffered a fall when I tried keeping it on a stand and my dog knocked it over. This is what survived.

I'll add a picture of my bedroom collection (peace lily, boston ferns and a pothos mix) when there's no one napping in the bed.

I also acquired 2 giant (maybe 8 ft-10 ft) ficus trees this summer from a father of a friend. He's kept them for 20 years and I want to do them justice. They've been on my back patio since June and will need to come in for Autumn. I'll ask for help with what to do with them in a separate post, but here's a pic of them (and said dog who just had to scratch an itch right by the plant stand).

Comments (19)