SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ljychen

Increasing ceiling height of the first floor of a two floor house.

Linda Chen
5 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are doing well. I am a new home owner. My boyfriend and I are about to undertake a relatively large home renovation project, and we'd love to get your advice.

We recently purchased a 1939 fixer-upper house in San Francisco. The ground floor currently houses our garage, a room, and a bathroom. The ceiling of the room is 7', which is not in alignment to today's San Francisco minimum standards of 7'6. We noticed that ceiling height is reduced because the flooring is elevated for installing hardwood floors in the current room, and it is also elevated because the foundation is not flat, and it slopes downwards.

We would like to extend out the ground floor room further, and also raise the ceiling height. If we were to extend the ceiling height, we can probably remove the current hardwood floors to get a sense of what is underneath it.

In your opinion, what is the best way to move forward with this renovation? Are there any articles online that we can read into and learn about ourselves to learn more about it.

Thank you for your help ahead of time! Looking forward to hearing from you.

lin.

Comments (25)