SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amj0517

Seeking "Cocktail Attire" guidance

amj0517
5 years ago

Sorry if this is a duplicate. I starting one earlier but accidentally hit "enter" then my original thread disappeared....

Anyway, we will be attending an event and the invitation stated "cocktail attire". This is hosted by my husband's employer to celebrate the company's 100th year. "Dinner, Program, and Strolling Dessert" at a museum.

DH is in need of a new suit anyway, so we will be shopping. Is black too formal, or should he stick to dark grey? I personally like black, but I don't want him to get it if is will be too formal.

I have purchased several dresses already, but I'm not sure if any of them are "the one". Perhaps with accessorizing help I can make one work. Please help! :) I'm size 8, hourglass shape, 41 years old.

Shoes: I bought these because I liked them! I thought the ankle ties took them up a notch from the basic pump, and they are surprisingly comfortable (coming from the girl who wears nothing by flip-flops or sneakers all summer).

Dress 1: I like the asymmetrical neckline and the cap sleeves on this dress. Is it too casual? Could it be dressed up with accessories? If so, what types of accessories? I'm not sure if a necklace could be worn. Statement bracelet and long earrings?

Dress2: This dress comes to just below my knee, which is my preferred length. But it is quite form fitting. I'm concerned that it may be to 'va-va-voom' for a work event. If it is okay, how would you accessorize it? The lace section through the waist is black on mine because my high-waisted spanx cover the cutout.

Dress3: I have this dress in BLACK. My concern is that it is too dressy and revealing. I want to look nice, but I don't want to stand out, IYKWIM. I am more busty than the model, so I my concern is that it is too revealing. I'm also not crazy about it being sleeveless, but I'm not completely opposed to it. I'm not sure what type of wrap or cover would be good with it. Again, accessories are a question.

Dress4: I ordered this dress online, but it hasn't arrived yet. I liked it because it didn't seem to be quite so form fitting, but the more I look at the picture, the less I like it. I'll still try it on. Sometimes the fit will sell the dress!

I've seen so much fashion advice here. I'm hoping for some guidance. Thanks!

Comments (41)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations