SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_836767201

Low(ish) Ceiling Color—white, or dark?

TLynn
5 years ago
Ok. I know that the general belief if that lighter ceilings open the room whereas darker make them look smaller. However, I have read quite a few places now that a dark ceiling can create an optical illusions of sorts and actually make the ceiling look higher. Plus, we really did the idea of a dramatic dark ceiling somewhere (maybe we should save it for our vaulted ceiling?...ah, that’s for a separate post).

The room is the family room, aka the “TV room.” We spend most of our time there( bright sun during the day) and prefer it not so bright when watching TV due to glare on the screen. We’re also installing recessed lights in the next few weeks. I guess most importantly, we kind of like that room to feel cozy.

It’s a long room with only 8-foot high ceilings. Walls throughout the main level of the house will be a mid-tone greige with a dark accent wall (a muted navy blue or dark teal or gray) on the far short wall.

Please ignore the mess. Everything is shoved in this room for the folks who’ve been working on the rest of the main level.

So, what say y’all? Stick to white, or go dark and dramatic? I’d also love to see pics of your own rooms with dark ceilings (I’ve seen enough stock photos of beautiful designer rooms w/ dark ceilings on the internet and Houzz). ;-)

Comments (14)