SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_836767201

Entryway from Hell — Need Ideas

TLynn
5 years ago
Our layout in the front of the house is terrible (IMO). The front door and the door from the garage to the house open into the same space (instead of the door from he garage opening into a mud room). Subsequently, it’s impossible to keep the space uncluttered (yes, there’s a closet in the hall but let’s get real...and we have a young kid!).

Now we are doing some paining and such. I can’t do much about no mudroom but need to make these hideous builders grade side-by-side doors look less hideous. Can’t afford to replace them now.

One thought I had was painting both doors and the trim the same color as we’re paint the walls (a mid-tone greige), hoping they’d just sort of disappear. A second thought was doing that with the door to garage, but painting the front door and trim white (we’re painting all the trim). Open to other ideas as well.

Comments (52)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

post a few more pics because I can't tell what's what from that angle.

what exactly is the question? yes to painting that trim and yes to painting the doors. and doors are cheap. look on craigslist and you may luck out w/a new front door and that side door. there are also things you can do a flat door to add trim molding and paint it.

• TLynn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Houssan,

Yes, there are 2-steps to get to the main level. We’re also in the middle of installing different floor but the steps aren’t done yet, which may add to the confusion. On the left side of the entry (looking at the photo), there was an ugly guard rail that stuck out about 3feet. We pulled that off and are building a half-wall there.

Beth,
    The question is whether to try and make both doors disappear by painting (and the trim) them the same colors we’re doing the walls, OR whether to make the door to the garage disappear by doing that and handling the main front door by painting the door and trim white (or maybe the door gray, like we’re doing the walls) and the trim white. I do like your idea of emphasizing the front door by redoing the trim.
  • Related Discussions

Need help/ideas on what to do in this entryway & livingroom!

Q

Comments (2)
    I was looking at entryways and staircases on Laurel Bern's blog today. She lists some mistakes to avoid. Link if you'd like some photo inspiration. As for a greige, I can recommend BM Silver Satin (OC-26) or Balboa Mist (OC-27).
    ...See More

Entry remodel ideas needed - front door opens right to stairs

Q

Comments (7)
    Well, sure, there is room to change the staircase. But, that would require adding more tile. You will have to find tile that matches exactly the existing floor tile, and that may be a problem. Tile goes out of style quickly, and you may not find the tile that matches anymore. In which case, you would have to re tile the entire floor. and, you will also need to re carpet the staircase. So, pretty expensive option, although easily done.
    ...See More

Entry way ideas needed

Q

Comments (1)
    I would leave the narrow walls on each side blank. It's not necessary to have something on every wall. Likewise, if your hall is narrow, I wouldn't add a table. If you NEED something to place keys or whatever, maybe a narrow shelf?
    ...See More

Need ideas for ledge and large tall wall in LR/Entryway

Q

Comments (8)
    If you enclose the plant shelf over the entry, that might be a good place to store seasonal decorations I don't think the church pew meets the needs of the entry so I am suggesting a cabinet for storage, a Mirror, and hat racks in place of the hooks and shelf. IMO the chandelier is way too small for the area and should probably be swagged to a better location.to the right of the front door.
    ...See More
  • TLynn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I can post more pics tomorrow. There’s also a pice of furniture there (black dresser) that is only there because everything’s out of place for painters and flooring installers.
  • loobab
    5 years ago

Entryway from hell?

Where's the dog?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

loo,,you mean Cerberus? cmon,,it's not that bad.

• loobab
    5 years ago

Yes, that's what I meant, no multiheaded dog, no hell :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

oh they are so cute! that bull terrier!! lol

• loobab
    5 years ago

Awww, they'll just lick all comers!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

that is a cute ass pic. you should have that blown up and hung somewhere.

ok,,now post a photo of the area from another angle so i can see what you have. You also have the low ceiling in the other room you want to paint. are you doing the entire downstairs?

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

This is probably beyond your project scope, but I’ll toss this idea out... if your front door opened the other way—with the hinge on the garage door side—maybe you could embrace the garage door nook as a mini mudroom since it wouldn’t be the first thing you see upon entry.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Yes, paint the garage door to fade into the walls. With better pix we might suggest a way to eek a "mudroom," or at least a drop spot, out of this space.

• stefaniebogles
    5 years ago

Beth...you r too funny !!

• loobab
    5 years ago

Actually, blow up the dog photo, write under it in big letters,

Solicitors- don't even think about it!

And put it outside the front door.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

hah. that's funny. or maybe group the two big ones together and get them to 'look mad'. impossible for a bull terrier, but maybe the pittie mix can look mean.

• Linda
    5 years ago
    Following
  • jbtanyderi
    5 years ago
    Paint both doors and their trim to match the walls.
  • Jen Butler
    5 years ago
    I agree that changing the front door to swing the other way would help. Does the garage wall open against a wall there or is there more back there?
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Is there room in the garage for coats, boots etc, I would look for a new front door and paint the other one the same as the walls and painting the trim the same color as the walls would also be my choice since it not really pretty.

• melinda1977
    5 years ago

My son's house has a similar situation. However, the garage door is on a different wall, but they both open onto the living room. I advised him to paint out the garage door and trim to match the walls. The front door would then be painted a contrast color and the door casing would remain white (as is all the other base and case in the house). He was dubious at first, but took my advice. It worked like a charm...the garage door virtually disappears, leaving the focus on the front door.

• TLynn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Okay, it’s taken me forever, but here are a couple more pics.

It’s an awkward space IMO, and around the corner to the right there is a short hallway leading to our family room (the subject of a separate post in which I’d asked about a dark vs light ceiling, for those of you who saw that one).

I’ve tried to annotate these to show what’s what. I really appreciate all of the feedback so far.
  • TLynn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Also, many folks have suggested we switch the way the front door swings. We will be adding a half wall where while line is (to replace a railing).

Could that space feel cramped with the door switched around?
  • PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    5 years ago

It's hard to judge from the pictures, but I think what this space would benefit most from is some brightening up: New windows, a front door with some glass to let more natural light in, and then a chandelier and some sconces and some bright paint and tile \. Best of luck!

• TLynn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Patricia colwell,

I’d love to have the coats and hats and such in the garage (we did that in the house I grew up in). However, I am living in Minnesota now and our garage is not heated (or even insulated), so we’d have to be real masochists to do that.
  • TLynn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Lion Windows.

I agree about the door. It’s on our ever expanding list of things to replace. (Dont even get me started on our hideous bay windows with colonial grids.)

There is a chandelier, but it’s removed to make room for the ceiling scraping and painting.
  • Linda Preston
    5 years ago

I tend to agree with Benjesbride on the reversal of your front door opening. My reasoning is that when you enter the living space you don’t want a door blocking off whoever is in the main room....(I’m assuming LR). Creating a nook or niche with the garage door area gives you somewhere to focus on utilitarIan needs, particularly with the laundry room right there. So I’d embrace that.

if you omit the short wall at the entrance you could keep congestion down at larger gatherings and create a more gracious and inviting entryway IMO. Table for keys, flower vase, art, candles.......I use and antique library table in my craftsman entry as there is nothing shaping a formal entry. Play with furniture ideas before building that wall....I think you could have a lot of fun with that area if you did!

• TLynn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Linda, I like that idea a lot. I’m just a bit worried about losing the only hallway /entryway closet space we have (which is what is inside that short wall by the door to the garage. :-(
  • viplymel
    5 years ago

Could you put a small divider furniture piece, like a small bookshelf between the two doors? I would paint the panel door white with white trim and maybe trim out the other door.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Why a 1/2 wall? Can you do a full wall or is That too dark? I think I would close this off as much a possible and go full mud room on its a&$. You live in MN. Nothing is more welcoming in a climate like that than an area in which you can comfortably stamp your boots and put on slippers, hang up all the gear.

• Linda Preston
    5 years ago

TLynn I can see why you wouldn’t want to lose that space. Is the closet a coat closet? Could it be repurposed as an entry niche/mudroom kind of thing with hooks and a cute bench? In otherwords, remove closet door and even trim and create a mini room....or entry niche. Is the laundryroom close enough to incorporate a place for snowy boots and drippy umbrellas? (In my head I see a laundry room almost directly across from the garage door...is it?)

When end I lived in Alaska we had Arctic entries which were wonderful for this situation. The square footage in you project doesn’t allow for that but I just wonder....if you opened up that closet...maybe even on the entry side...I think you’d have a nice coat, boot, hat solution and still save your hallway. (My thought on THIS change would be to take out the wall to the left of the garage door and to Sheetrock the current closet door closed on the hallway side. Let me know if that doesn’t make sense, I’m trying to use my “words.”

Heres a couple ideas...

https://hookedonhouses.net/2012/03/06/before-after-transforming-a-standard-coat-closet-into-a-charming-entry-nook/

https://makeit-loveit.com/turn-a-coat-closet-into-the-perfect-mudroom

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

IMO closed off hanging space should NEVER be taken for granted. It can store 10x the stuff some hooks and cute baskets can handle. But with kids some hooks , a boot tray, a cubby, would be a wonderful addition to the hallway

• TLynn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Linda, those are really cute. I’ve seen similar ones online. For some reason, I can’t see ours staying cute like the one in the photo (lots of stuff, messy kid, lol). It’s the same reason I love idea open upper cabinets in the kitchen, but where would we hide all the non-cute and mismatched kitchenware?!
  • TLynn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Greenfish, yes it’s a coat closet (bifold doors).
  • TLynn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Greenfish, the half way is to replace a railing where the living ends but there’s no step down to the entry. So it’s on the side with of the entry by the living space. Is that were you’re suggesting a full wall?

Truth be told, if I wasn’t so concerned about having an entry the way entries are “supposed” to look (opening into the bigger space, etc) I’d totally enclose the whole darn area! The heat savings in the winter alone would be worth it. In the past, I’d considered doing some sort of big hanging velvet drapery (think restaurant entryways) separating the entryway from the rest of the house for the wintertime only. Probably a bit too much tho!
  • Jennifer K
    5 years ago

How much room do you have in the garage near the door? Could you put a bench and an Ikea Pax wardrobe there along with some coat hooks? That would give you a mud "room" and you'd be able to treat your foyer like a main entrance.

Because you have 2 steps up from the foyer to the living room, I would not reverse the front door swing. Doing that would mean that people entering will be crowded between the door and the steps.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Tlynn-yes I would be more for enclosing it and making a cozy, comfortable place to sit, disrobe, etc. for starters forget the 1/2 wall-perfect spot for a cubby!!

• TLynn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Jennifer K, we live in Minnesota and or garage is neither insulated or heated, so having that stuff in the garage doesn’t work for about 5 months out of the year, unfortunately. I think you’re probably right about the way the door opens.
  • TLynn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Greenfish, a built-in cubby thing is what my husband wanted to do!
  • Linda Preston
    5 years ago

TLynn I totally get it. Cute closet open...for five minutes.....then.....dun Dun Dun.....a mess appears from nowhere.

So I’ll leave that side and still support no knee wall....a moving cubby piece meaning not built in...with seating on top. And switch the door from rh swing to lh swing. My thinking on keeping cubby or whatever piece you choose mobile is it offers options now and in the future without ripping the place apart again.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

I totally get the idea of using flexible/modular units for a temporary fix if you don't have the time/money for built-ins. BUT. nothing can compare for a cohesive look in an otherwise cluttered room. Furniture becomes part of the clutter. I would put together a dream plan that tuns it in to a beautiful working, living mud room. No matter how messy mine gets it is one of my favorite rooms in the house and I am always proud to have people come through.

I can see something like this in lieu of the Half-wall-also I did brick in mine and I love it

• mainenell
    5 years ago
    If you change the door swing then you are being directed in the opposite direction of the coat closet.
  • RaiKai
    5 years ago

Pax wardrobes can be great; if you choose one with sliding doors you don’t need to worry about door swing. Here is ours in our garage entry. We have it filled with sliding shelves (with felt mats) for footwear, glass drawers for mitts, gloves, etc, rods for jackets. It has lights inside (kind that go on when you open door) which is also great for darker mornings or evenings. You will probably have to click on my photo for a more accurate scale - it will likely stretch out.

Also, FYI, we have a “closed” front entry in the sense that while our garage door enters into a mud room, and our front door enters in a front entry, that front entry is walled off and is a more like a hallway (entering into the width of it). I actually love it. It’s private and protects against icy winter blasts (live on Canadian prairies). I am not one who likes people walking into my living room etc and it works great to keep shoes and such out of my view while trying to relax!

• nicole___
    5 years ago

Love your dogs! Lucky you! :0)

I vote for the cubby with a bench.....

• shwshw
    5 years ago

following...

• Jennifer K
    5 years ago

@TLynn, does your laundry room share a wall with the garage or, better yet, the garage and the foyer? If so it might be an idea to move the garage access to the laundry room. This could be done in a couple of ways:

1) if the laundry room does not abut the foyer, then the garage door would need to move. You may not have space for that.

2) if the laundry room shares a wall with the foyer, then move that wall over past the garage door. i.e. extend your laundry room into the foyer. This would make your formal foyer half as big but would fix the issue of mess at the front door.

This isn't a cheap and easy fix, but it may be worth it for the decrease in daily irritants.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

When i originally suggested you change the door swing, I meant the sidelight would change sides as well. If inside facing the front door, the hinges would be all the way to the right side of the opening and the sidelight would be on the left.

this is not a minor project, that’s why I said it’s probably beyond the scope. You’d have to change light switches, doorbell, exterior light, etc.

• Linda Preston
    5 years ago

But worth it benjesbride....I am surprised the original builders didn’t situate it that way to begin with.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

idk-you could have a serious three stooges moment opening the main entry while someone was coming in from the garage if the door opened the other way...

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

also-the thick velvet drapes like at a restaurant? not the worst idea I have ever heard. that entry looks small and people pile up coming in from the cold, meaning the door gets left open while the caravan makes its way through the entry (MUD ROOM!). I could really get in to some fabulous, thick drapes on a rod that you can remove in the summer if you want, or pull back with ties. of course the rod would be attached to your new cubby wall on one side. I think you could continue the cubbies/cabinets on to the wall where the dresser is now depending on clearance to the hall.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

My Houzz: Pettigrew Farm Interior · More Info
    ok, so this would be cool if not for the over-the-top décor behind it. ick.^^^

vvv this but not so ridiculousy "I-wish-I-were-in-Tuscany or a 1990s McMansion"

Mediterranean Classic · More Info

Getting closer!vvvv
    Ceballos LLC · More Info
    THIS color to show that you are living in this decade and can have some funvvv
    Herne Hill Apartment · More Info

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths