SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane2516

Coming soon... (Good idea or bad idea?)

Jane
5 years ago

I need about one more month to fix up my house for sale. I am using this house as an opportunity to try a flip (even though I have lived here for decades). I spoke to a realtor several months ago who advised me on markets and upgrades. This is basically a starter home in a hot market, medium-sized, views, large-ish lot.

Since this may be listed in late September (which is actually a medium-hot tourist season - don’t know if it matters), I wonder if I should contact the realtor to start lining up prospective buyers. What I DON’T want is people snooping around my property while I am working on it. It is not presentable now, and the yard is the last thing I will work on. If people start hanging around (even if we don’t interact), I will feel pressured and panic and not make the date before winter sets in. (Winters are mild usually.) You cannot see the house very well from the street, and my concern is people will walk up the (short) driveway and that will freak me out since I am not presentable either when I am working on the house or yard.

I have a definite number in mind for price, toward the high estimate but less than realtor.com’s estimate. Price per square foot is competitive. I’m not planning to be very flexible on price as it may be more economical to rent or stay than to sell for a lower cost. (A part of me wants to stay anyway but for the right price I will leave, and personally I should probably leave.)

The main selling point of this house is the view. I can provide the realtor a picture of that (sans house). The house is just a house, although I am doing my best to make it clean, fresh and cute. (Sarah Richardson is my inspiration.) Think “contemporary cottage”. I have good taste - it’s just not traditional or lavish. So a qualification for buyers is that they want a view, move-in ready and “updated”. The rest of the info they can get from the off-market listing on zillow. No interior or exterior pics will be available until I finish, however the house is similar in structure and layout to several others in the area.

My gut is telling me wait until complete before I contact the realtor again, but I’m concerned about the more limited buyer pool in Fall. I assume there are young couples in condos who are are waiting for that perfect single family home to show up. Those are the ones who would love this house. (It’s a pretty good party house too.)

What do you think - wait or tell the realtor it’s “coming soon”? (I assume she’ll get the word out, and I could also do a “make me move” edit on zillow.)

Can I tell the realtor to not disclose the address until it is ready to list?

(Sorry, I know I should figure this out on my own, but my head is full of reno details....)

Comments (9)