SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aoliver75

Urgent! Need help with front door placement!

aoliver75
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are building the attached houseplan that we customized and were really happy with. Well I met with an Interior Desiner this morning and he immediately told me that I need to change the layout to move the front door to the middle of the living room, centered between the wall with the fireplace and the island. There is still time as we haven't broken ground yet, but I am torn with what he is saying! I liked the entryway we were going to have and now the entryway will turn into a small hallway and our front doors will open up smack dab in the middle of the greatroom... which may be okay, I don't know! Looking for some advise. If we are going to change the plans I have to let the builder know right away.

Comments (87)

• PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

Of the versions shown on the Architectural Designs site, this one is my favorite, and similar to your house.

I wonder why details like the well sized windows, and stone columns are missing from your version.

aoliver75 thanked PPF.
  • aoliver75
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The backyard faces North-Northwest, so the garage doors will face East

• Related Discussions

URGENT: Need help decide river rock size for front yard

Q

Comments (5)
    Not sure here - do you want a walkable area? Do you want to lead water away from the house? Just for looks? You could do crushed gravel on most of it, and do a "river" with the larger rocks. Perhaps large rocks to delineate the perimeter of the "river" - smaller rocks to fill in the river area. You can make great decorative effects using more than one kind of rock
    ...See More

Need help with tree selection and placement location in front yard

Q

Comments (4)
    Both you and your neighbor have exactly the same need for a tree that frames the houses. Whoever installs it first pretty much gets to control what and where it is. It should not be too much in front of the house, because the goal is not to block the view to the house. If you drew lines extending the face of the house to the lot line and one from the house corner to the lot line at a diagonal, the tree could go anywhere in that zone over to just your side of the lot line. The larger the tree is, the farther from the house you'd want it. A tree that reached 30' would be fine, but it would be OK if it got taller, too. You'd just keep limbs trimmed to well clear the house and roof. You also have a need for a street tree that could be an even larger species. It could go anywhere in the right half of the parkway. Undoubtedly, you have similar needs at the left side of the house.
    ...See More

HELP - I need help deciding on storm door/front door combo color.

Q

Comments (3)
    Front doors should stand out and be welcoming, color that pops. You could try something like a Raspberry Truffle in the reds, or maybe a Bermuda Blue.
    ...See More

URGENT HELP front door color!!!!!

Q

Comments (13)
    These suggestions are very helpful! Thank you for taking the time to respond. I’m concerned about introducing a more brown color with our gray roof...does that still work? And I love our zinc planters but will those need to be changed if we switch to a dark brown door. So much more to think about than I realized and we are obviously very deep into the project!🤪Also, Here is a before pic...there are a ton of 90’s red brick homes in our neighborhood so I wanted something that felt fresh.
    ...See More
  • aoliver75
    Original Author
    5 years ago

PPF that was my favorite as well. We will likely try to add the two sets of windows back in to the front that we removed...we reduced some of the stone detail to make the house fit into our budget.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Why the side load garage? Is this required by the site?

• aoliver75
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Benjesbride, no it’s not required, i just really like it. :) we live in SE Washigton in a little city called Walla Walla. It gets cold here so we will be using boots and coats. The mudroom seemed ok to me as I don’t have one at all right now. It would be ideal for it to be larger. Hoping that we can make it work as is and maybe have some storage in the garage for coats/boots as well.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

I, my parents, and my grandparents grew up in M-F. I'm not kidding!

• User
    5 years ago
    We aren’t too far from you! We are in Vancouver so yes another country but still close :)
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

I'm near Vancouver too (Chilliwack).

• aoliver75
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I really appreciate all the constructive criticism, this is literally my first time on Houzz. Obviously i had no idea what i was getting into but it’s good to hear. Not taking it personally. I wish I could afford to make everything 100% ideal, but it’s truly going to be leaps and bounds better than what we have right now!

• aoliver75
    Original Author
    5 years ago

benjesbride you cannot be serious. That’s beyond crazy!!!!!! I was waiting for a comment about the name Walla Walla... lol!!

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

I've been in Portland for 25 years but my whole fam is still in the WWV. I'm jealous of you, aoliver75!

aoliver75 thanked sheloveslayouts
  • aoliver75
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lindsey and Allison!! How is it that you’re all so close to me on this website that people from all over the globe are on! so random

• User
    5 years ago
    All this west coast awesomeness :)
    aoliver75 thanked User
  • aoliver75
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Dont be jealous benjesbride, just think of me having to pull into a side loading garage everyday! Lol! Seriously though- move home! Walla Walla is better than ever and Portland traffic sucks!

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

It's a small, small world! Lindsey - are you friends with Maria Killam? She's probably the only reason I'm familiar with Chilliwack. :-)

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

"Lindsey - are you friends with Maria Killam? She's probably the only reason I'm familiar with Chilliwack. :-)"

No, I don't know her. But most people are familiar with Chilliwack because of the cows and corn, so you're a step ahead for sure!

Maybe the west coast connection has something to do with the time of day; it's getting pretty late elsewhere :-D

• User
    5 years ago
    Lindsey a friend of mine from high school and university lives in Chilliwack but I won’t be daft enough to assume you know her! I bet you, like me, are glad to see some of the smoke clearing.
  • aoliver75
    Original Author
    5 years ago

PPF thank you!! I really, really, really like that!! I believe we will do this! Thank you so much!

• redsilver
    5 years ago

Windows are expensive non insulated walls that require expensive dresses, leak air and increase u v Sun exposure even if they declare air gaps and the like.. In your spot, maybe eliminate 2 upper small Windows and bring the 2 remaining in 1/3 from each end to be over the lower two plate glass windows also brought in 1/3, You will be thrilled with the savings on heat bills. lf you can sketch the exterior as Suggested with door sidelights and 2 small upper doubles. If you want more, make each small upper and lower window into a triple rather than a double pane and run the costs to see how that works in the cost estimate. Windows are nice but I don't need to live in a greenhouse. When the storms blow in and the rain drives against the window with hail or debris...I have a wish to be nearer the wall and need fewer Windows. Natural light is nice but after sundown it is my light color flooring, my light walls and my light ceiling that reflect the lamps and ceiling fixtures to give me plenty of task lighting. If you live in a dark green room with black and navy rugs and furnishings and 2 walls of windows, it will be dark in the daytime and dark at night. Hope you can try the idea and hope you do remember Windows are not structural strength in storms and create no light when the sun goes down. I love the home style. Keep your interior towards the lighter hue in at least 2 or 3 surfaces in each of your home's rooms or areas, and you will need less windows and that is fewer window treatments!! and less artificial light (bulb quantity) fixtures ..Most people do not seem to realize it but the fewer bulbs per fixture, the lower the cost of many fixtures, and living in any home. Also if the fixtures all use the same type of bulb that is not unique it keeps overhead a little lower... Do put dimmer switches in all the bedrooms and media area.

• suser123
    5 years ago

aoliver75 - The side entry front door facing garage you show is very popular with builders around here. Notice majority of that style don't use it and park cars in the drive. Do you have room you make it side entry on the other side? The style of your house has some really great front facing garage door options that would add to the curb appeal of you house.

• PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

Getting the details correct on a house like this is key.

Using my suggestion above with the secondary stucco color, it is important to match the window and stucco colors. Using white windows and a darker stucco, for example, will not work.

Have you considered starting a new thread asking about the exterior finishes? Is your designer able to provide color renderings to help visualize your choices?

aoliver75 thanked PPF.
  • cpartist
    5 years ago

The bed placement in regards to the bathroom is how we have it now. It’s not 100% ideal, but we don’t have issues with it currently...

Ok but you're spending 6 figures of your hard earned money building a new dream house, so why not get it right? Why build a house where you have to accommodate the house versus the house accommodating you and your family?

i see what you mean about the laundry room, but ill have enough counter space in the laundry room to do folding there and then just deliver folded clothes to the bedrooms. Without scratching the plans entirely, do you have a suggested modification for moving the laundry room to a different location?

The problem isn't only the laundry room, but also your office being where it is blocking light from the kitchen. Personally I would try and redo that area so the kitchen has windows and you are not walking through the kitchen to get to the laundry or even your bedroom. You have the space, but it would take someone truly creative to come up with something that would work better.

How is the house sited on the land and what are the setbacks? Do you have any additional room to go out front back or sides? I'm asking to see if there is another solution.

I really don't think it's that big of an issue personally, but if you have a great idea, I'm all ears!

No, again it's not a big issue but why not make the house work for you versus you having to work around the less than ideal things of the house.

One other thought. Are you planning on aging in this house? What are your current ages?

I wonder why details like the well sized windows, and stone columns are missing from your version.

I would absolutely add the windows to the front even if you need to eliminate one or two from the rear. Why? Because of passive solar heating and cooling. You want the most exposure on the south wall and less exposure on the other walls.

Also I have to agree with PPF. The original version is lovely. Your version I'm sorry to say looks more like a commercial building. My first thought was mausoleum. I'm not saying that to be mean but if you can, put your money into the intangibles like the windows. They will pay you back 10 fold.

.we reduced some of the stone detail to make the house fit into our budget.

I would sooner reduce ALL the stone than the windows. You can make the house look good without the stone. (Take a look at some of FLW houses)

I wish I could afford to make everything 100% ideal, but it’s truly going to be leaps and bounds better than what we have right now!

No but you can make it work 99% in terms of layout and flow. That is the most important because a house that flows well speaks softly so you don't even realize it. A poorly laid out house or even poorly laid out features within a house scream out. Not at first when it's new and novel to you, but as you live in it, you'll adapt but never be completely happy with how it works. To quote Tim Gunn, "Make it work".

• aoliver75
    Original Author
    5 years ago

PPF- we were going to use an off white stucco color with cedar and stone detailing. The exterior window trim will be dark grey or black.

• aoliver75
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cpartist- the only difference between our version and the original version in the picture is the stone detail and the extra windows. We are probably going to add those windows back in. I don’t think without them it looks like a mausoleum. But regardless we’ll be adding them back in. Not going to take any from the back as the back is where we plan to put a pool in and do lots of outdoor living. i like having the windows in the back.

We do plan to age in the house, I’m 43 and my husband is 39.

I posted a pic earlier in the thread of the way the house is situated on the lot.

• wantsideas
    5 years ago

I like where the door is currently. I really like PPF's rendering if you can swing it.

• aoliver75
    Original Author
    5 years ago

PPF what about cedar where you show the secondary stucco? We were looking at cedar garage doors like this one, and perhaps a cedar front door as well.

• User
    5 years ago
    I also like PPF’s rendering. I’m impressed you are able to build for so little. We aren’t that far from you and our costs are more than double yours.
  • aoliver75
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Alison- your costs are over $800K for a 2600 sq ft home??

• aoliver75
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh my yes- Alison I forgot where you were located for a moment....Vancouver housing prices are most definitely double ours. At least. I’m so sorry!

• cpartist
    5 years ago

I posted a pic earlier in the thread of the way the house is situated on the lot.

Yes you did. My bad. LOL

I'm glad you're adding back the windows. You won't regret that. I'd save money elsewhere before skimping on windows, insulation and HVAC. Especially HVAC. Ask me why I say that. sigh...

What are your setbacks for your lot?

PPF what about cedar where you show the secondary stucco? We were looking at cedar garage doors like this one, and perhaps a cedar front door as well.

I love the look of cedar and stucco.

I may or may not get to playing with the kitchen area. Hopefully PPF or damairain can play too.

aoliver75 thanked cpartist
  • aoliver75
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cpartist- are Setbacks how close to the edge of the property line you can be? If so, ours are 10 ft

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Aoliver75– I was thinking... assuming the site doesn’t dictate otherwise, I think flipping the house would be a better orientation.

the benefits could be:

1) it’s easier to turn left into a garage than right

2) fewer windows on the west side of the house

3) with a NNW orientation, putting the master bath bumpout on the west side might allow more northern light into the living space while blocking western light a bit.

eta: more importantly, thegarage on the southwest corner would allow a bit more southern and pleasant natural light in from the front.

• User
    5 years ago

aoliver75 we are way beyond 800k! But our house is 44 square feet so there is that.

• lmckuin
    5 years ago

I like your house and I would definitely keep the door as originally planned rather than in the middle of the great room. That would be odd...

• aoliver75
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Benjesbride that’s an intriguing idea!

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

aoliver75- does your land have a view you’re trying to maximize?

• PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

Raising the kitchen ceiling and continuing the windows around would help with daylighting in the kitchen and add a bit of symmetry to the elevation.

• PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

Cedar looks good but requires maintenance and needs to be correctly detailed when integrated with dissimilar materials.

• aoliver75
    Original Author
    5 years ago

PPF that’s a great idea about continuing the windows to get more light into the kitchen area. Do you have a suggestion as to stucco colors?

• aoliver75
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Benjesbride- We have a creek to the north and the Blue Mountains to the East.

• PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

Pick your stone, maybe 2 options, then build your color selections around them.

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    Back to your original question....has the designer you hired done an actual furniture plan? A furniture plan showing your exact furniture (new/existing or a combo) is required in order to best evaluate. Usually your architect will show a basic furniture layout to show the success of the architectural elements like window and door placement.
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

I was wondering if you could see the mountains from your house. That’s awesome. (My heart aches to move back. ) Another reason to put the side with more windows on the east.

The western sun can get pretty intense, especially on those 105’ days. Ugh. My old bedroom is oriented as youplan to orient your daughters room and that window was/is rarely uncovered.

aoliver75 thanked sheloveslayouts
  • aoliver75
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thinkdesignolive no, it was my first meeting with him and he couldn’t get past the entryway/front door ”flaw”. He’s not hired yet...

• cpartist
    5 years ago

He’s not hired yet...

Frankly I'm not sure I'd hire him. LOL.

aoliver75 thanked cpartist
  • aoliver75
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cpartist good advice!! Btw- what did you think of PPFs idea about changing the elevation to extend the high ceilings and window through to the kitchen? It would allow a bit more natural light in, yes? I currently have a similar layout as far as not having a direct window in my kitchen, but having them in the adjacent dining room and living room in an open concept space.... it doesn’t ever feel dark to me now, so it never even occurred to me that it may be an issue. I don’t know what the cost will be to extend the high ceiling and windows but am going to explore it on Monday.

• sheepla
    5 years ago

PPF is amazing. He can take any house elevation and improve it tenfold!

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

>>>>> any updates here???

• Susan Taylor
    5 years ago

Following with interest. Do you happen to have completed or construction photos? We are planning to built using the original plan . Thanks!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County