SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

How to knock the shine off this metal frame?

User
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Yeah, this is one of those mass-produced 70s-80s Lee Reynolds paintings that call to mind big mall hair and shoulder pads, but I love it. It speaks to me of places I've been and want to go, and the fact that it once hung in the home of my now-deceased friend makes it even more special to me. I don't much care for the frame, however, and from time to time I wonder what to do to knock that shine off a bit. As you can see in the second pic, there are some other shiny elements in the space, but the other frames are wood and don't have that same cheap-and-cheesy vibe that the brass-look frame has. In a perfect world, I'd have the canvas reframed in a wooden "float" frame, but as large as it is, that would cost an arm and a leg, and I'm busy spending my arms and legs on bringing new kittens into our household, so I'd like to do something (at least for now) on the cheap. Do you think Rub 'n' Buff would be a good thing to try, and if so, what color? I've used metallic-look R'n'B on other items with pretty good results, but when I used a turquoise shade of R'n'B on a smaller wooden frame in the past, it didn't turn out quite as expected. I wonder about spray-painting the frame? Is there anything at all that I could do to make it appear more like wood and less like a cheap piece of metal?

Comments (14)