SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trey58

Basement Design - Studio vs Multiple rooms, egress windows

trey58
5 years ago

I am thinking of finishing my basement currently, it is divided into one room 18 x 26 with a walkout door and the bathroom is separate. Originally I had planned on making a bedroom, mud room, and living room out of the 18 x 26 space, but the door would have to be in the mud room. This puts me having to cut in an egress window for the bedroom. I don't really like the idea of cutting in a window, plus there is the expense (4k? for 1 window). I'm thinking of re-designing the room as a studio mainly to save the cost of the egress window and avoid any problems of cutting in my house (drainage, foundation, grading). Can anyone clarify the window requirements for a habitable basement space? It is pretty clear that a bedroom needs an egress window, but besides the walkout door (half window door) there are no other windows in the basement. I saw online search that any habitable space requires 8% glazing, but this would be practically impossible to achieve in my basement I'd have to install at least 3 well windows.

- Would a finishing into 1 room legally require additional windows?

- Opinions on worth it to install a bedroom?

Comment (1)