SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinalee1678

Tile size and layout for 36” wide hallway??

Christina Lee
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am trying to figure out how I can use larger format tiles to update my foyer/hallway/kitchen. I would like to use larger square tile (eg 24x24) but is this possible in the narrow hallway (36” wide)? What layout would work? I have also seen beautiful 24x48 pieces. 36x36 but worried these would be prone to cracking...

Also have seen a bordered herringbone pattern which I like (photo attached) but probably don’t want to use marble in this high traffic area, and can’t picture how to transition to this from the foyer and into the kitchen.

What other options can I consider for the hallway while still maintaining some continuity with the kitchen?

I was originally hoping to do hardwood but was advised by my contractor that with older hardwood in adjacent rooms, trying to match colour and having slight elevation transitions (because pulling up the existing hardwood is not within the scope of this reno) would not look good and it would make more sense to go with tile and keep the existing transitions.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Comment (1)