SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Can you vent an OTR microwave to a stairwell?

Annette Holbrook(z7a)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Me again!

So after much input from folks here we decided that we needed to figure out a way to have a vent (not recirculating) vent above the range. This meant swapping the sink and range as there was only one good wall to accomplish this. Being a small kitchen, an OTR microwave is a good solution. This wall isn‘t technically an exterior wall. It is the backside of the stairs leading up to the loft. So I can either vent directly into the stairwell or I can run a duct across to the actual exterior wall.

Here is a pic showing the layout. I‘ve circled what would be a duct going from the microwave across the stairwell to the outside.

For reference, the ceiling in this part of the stairwell is at least 20 feet high. So you wouldn’t notice the duct above your head coming in. But when you are leaving and heading down it would be noticeable. I’ve mocked up a duct in the pic I had of the stairwell. I took this pic from the landing in the bend.

This kitchen will not get used every day, it is a guest apartment and Airbnb rental.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus