SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrpandy

Questions about outside vented OTR microwave hood

mrpandy
9 years ago

My Frigidaire OTR microwave vents horizontally through the wall behind the range. Despite the presence of a flap on the exterior, a lot of cold air comes through the two bottom filters in the winter, so I place flexible magnets over them (they look like sheets of paper). Everyone knows to remove them before using the fan, so the system seems to be working.

However, tonight it is 15 degrees and windy, and I can feel air blowing out of the front grille above the microwave door. I took the grille off and found the filter that I guess is used when used in recirculating mode. The air is coming through the filter and through the large holes on either side. I turned on the fan and noticed that air is drawn in through this area. When I cover it, the suction from the fan is noticeably stronger through the two filters over the range.

After that long intro, here are my questions: Should air be sucked in through the front upper grille when it's set up to vent outside? Can I cover the holes to stop cold air from coming in, and to increase the efficiency of the bottom filters when using the fan? Thanks!

Comments (2)