SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forever_now

Hail Mary Microwave questions: shelf clearances, blocking OTR MW vent

Forever Now
3 years ago

DH is set to be home the next two weeks finishing up our kitchen remodel. He's been building all the cabinets and we're racing the weather because his workshop isn't heated. We've gone back and forth on an OTR MW. Once I settled on my final design I wanted a hood because the range was just adjacent to a window with wood trim. However, we'd originally purchased an OTR when we bought our appliances when we first moved in and DH has always pushed to use it. I'd finally got him to agree to a hood awhile back but then I started talking about getting a convection microwave in the hope of replacing my toaster oven and air fryer and he said get an OTR one and he'd resize the window trim for me so it wasn't so close, so tripped right back into that! After looking into it more I decided the convection mw wouldn't replace those things so not worth the expense. I've been trying to finish up the plan before he gets home tomorrow and any time I think about it I just can't like the OTR so I'm going to make one more attempt to convince him on the hood, but I don't know how moveable he'll be at this point so I'll need a strong alternative plan if there is any hope.

If I can convince him to do the hood I still need a place for the microwave. I don't want it on the counter but I do have a single wall cabinet, currently slated to be 29"W x 15"D that it could go in.

Here are my options:

1) Make that cabinet a bit longer and hang the OTR MW there. With 15" deep cabinet this would actually block the vent in the door, but does this actually matter? We wouldn't be using it for ventilation there however does it still vent out steam that way from cooking? The other problem with this solution is that there is currently no dedicated outlet there and he's put his foot down about doing any more wiring.

2) This brings me to the second option, which is doing an open shelf in the bottom part of that cabinet and putting a countertop microwave there. This is were I'm getting really frustrated. After a couple years of looking at kitchen pictures and seeing about a millions pictures of countertop microwaves tucked into little cubbies that just fit them I'm now seeing that is completely false advertising! All the specs I can find on these countertop microwaves all want ridiculous clearances around them, which I know many are not even getting on the counter (12" above-Come-on!). I can easily make sure there is at least 4" on the sides and probably about 3" on the top but to fit on a 14" shelf I'd have to push a countertop MW to the back wall. Is there truly a problem with this? This is exactly what I've always done with any countertop microwave I've had just without sidewalls.

Help me convince him! Also, cross you fingers that the weather holds and we can finish this because we are about a year and half into this (and that's just the building part) and I"m so over it!

Comments (12)