SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariela826

2 1/2" vs 2 1/4" Oak Flooring Dilemma!

We just bought a house built in 1942 that has gorgeous original 2 1/2" oak floor planks. We want to extend the flooring throughout the whole house but have been told that that 2 1/2" size planks are no longer available and that the closest we can get is 2 1/4". I'm super bummed because the whole point in changing the floors was to have one floor throughout the home. I know it is only a quarter inch difference but I'm afraid it's going to drive me crazy over time that the newer flooring is a different size. The flooring pro told us he can marry them together as close as possible and suggested we put separators in btw the rooms but that also bums me out because I want the space from the living room to kitchen/dining area to flow as much as possible.

Part of me just wants to start from scratch on the floors and go with a whole new floor so that they can all match perfectly throughout the whole house but I feel terrible scrapping the gorgeous original floors. Plus, I'd want something pretty close to what's there already anyway (I'm eyeing natural finish bamboo flooring but it feels super modern for the space).

The perfect solution would be to just find MORE 2 1/2 oak hardwoods. Does anyone make 2 1/12 inch oak planks anymore? Are they really just impossible to find?

Comments (8)