Deformed Bluebird Fledgling

HU-337858340

My last fledgling has a leg that is growing straight sideways. His foot sticks out behind and right of his head. He’s 27 days old. Parents still feeding, but I don’t think he’ll fledge, let alone survive if he manages to get fledged. Any advice?

SaveComment2Like
Comments (2)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanzone5 (NY)

I've seen many birds survive with one leg. Leave it alone. Let nature take its course. Survival of the fittest. Not everything is perfect.

1 Like Save    
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HU-337858340

Thank you, I agree; but I don’t think he can fit through the opening with that leg. Should I prop the large door open and hope he doesn’t fall?

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides How to Bring the Joy of Bluebirds to Your Garden
Attract these beautiful songbirds with nesting habitat and food sources, including berry-producing trees and shrubs
Full Story
Gardening for Birds What to Know About Birds Nesting in Your Yard
Learn how to observe, record data and help ornithologists with NestWatch’s citizen science project understand bird trends
Full Story
Gardening for Birds Backyard Birds: Those Nutty Nuthatches
The North American songbirds, which often perch upside down, make themselves known in the winter landscape
Full Story
Our success has been based on our unique design/build process, coupled with a full staff of designers and... Read More
Owner Joel Craig wants to make sure that every project is completed with the utmost quality and that every client... Read More