SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohsoblue77

Fledglings Sent Into Rehab

ohsoblue77
11 years ago

If you've followed my posts, you know I was unfortunate to lose my male bluebird over the weekend after my nestlings reached 14 days old. The female continued to feed, but very poorly it would seem.

Anyhow, in the past 2 days, the young were calling to her and making the distinctive "pre/post-fledge call" This morning, I visited to hear the same thing and sat there a few minutes without Mrs. Blue in the area.

After school and work I came home to find 3 on the ground, under a tree, behind the box. Mrs. Blue was again absent. Handling them with their loud calling received no parental response. So I called the county raptor center and they took them in. I later found the 4th/5th one a good distance from the box when disposing of the nest in a field. I brought it back with the others.

Some luck I'm having! And another pair has decided to move in and harass the swallows at my other nest box pair, and I found the one egg the swallows were tending, broken on the ground in front of the box. the bluebirds have been perching on both boxes, and were fighting with the swallows yesterday. The 2nd box has 7 swallow eggs that they abandoned.

At my other site, 2/5 eggs have hatched 16 days into incubation. This is late, despite temperatures of 80-90 degrees. I don't know that all will hatch, but maybe.

Meanwhile I have a bluebird pair who appear to be EXTREMELY dominant. It's sad that the other nest made it this far to find this kind of ending. No new bluebirds in my neighborhood anytime soon! :(

Could be my last 2 seasons (this year and next)before possibly college. Gonna miss these guys if i have to leave them. Many joys and many sorrows. I suppose there's plenty of time left for nesting. Sigh...

~Tim~

Comments (5)