SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwieder_gw

Rehabbing Mail Order Plants

mwieder
16 years ago

I received an order from a mail order company (who shall remain nameless until this is resolved so I don't tarnish their name unneededly) which arrived after several days in transit. Most of the plants just looked a little tired, but 3 are going to need some special help and I wanted to know what everyone thought about how to best help them, and perhaps your own pesonal experiences with rehabbing mail-order plants. The 3 in bad shape are:

1) Campanula "Kelley's Gold" which had several white shoots visible at the top of the pot, but no leaves. Upon inspection of the roots, it appers those white shoots are roots that tried to go airborne instead of down into the soil.

2) Euphorbia "Bonfire" which arrvied with 2 stalks, both totally dried out.

3)Acer shirasawanum "Aureum" which was by far the most expensive of the order, arrived with all foliage wrinkled and dry.

The company suggested I rehydrate them for a few days (which I have done) and trim the euphorbia down to 2 inches. When I planted them out yesterday, the roots of all of them appeared very thin and stringy. I assume with the perennials, I just need to wait to see if they put out new growth, but with the Acer, since the leaves don't appear likely able to recover, is the tree going to die? Putting up new growth from the bottom of the tree isn't exciting since it's such a slow grower and you pay for size.

thanks!

Comments (10)