SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdevers_gw

Soil Condition for an Ozark garden

I live on the western edge of Fayetteville. The topsoil here isn’t too bad but the subsoil is awful. At my old house closer to town I had a small garden and had worked for 4-6 years improving the soil and had gotten it to a point where the top 10-12 inches was really nice and below that wasn’t that bad. Where I live now though, it seems after 5 seasons of improvement all I’m accomplishing is making the top layer better but not much thicker at all...still dense red clay under it. I’ve had probably 10 full trucks of wood chips brought in and while it breaks down and adds to the top deeper rooted crops seem to really suffer. My question is about mechanical improvement which I have for the most part stayed away from.

My garden right now is nearly 1/3 of an acre and other than long beans and okra I really don’t get much produce from it. I also just don’t have time to tend a garden that big any longer. I am considering basically double digging a smaller 1/8th acre or so plot by scrapping away the top soil to the side, digging down 12-18 inches of sub soil and then scraping in the topsoil from the surrounding garden back into the hole. In effect making about a quarter of the garden much better at th expense of the rest of it which I’ll just grow cover crops or something on. Any reason why this is a bad idea? I’m not worried about it becoming a sinkhole for water because my land is sloped enough that I never have standing water even after a deluge. If this is a bad idea, can someone give me an alternative? Per UAEX my topsoil samples are very good with the subsoil being quite acidic but lime additions seem to do very little that deep.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21