SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newsview63

Squirrels & Rabbits Decimated my Z9 Garden — Replace Losses With…?

newsview63
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Less than a year ago I moved to a desert/semi-mountainous area. Sadly, my gardening attempts thus far have been a costly fail. As a result, I started this topic in the hope of receiving advice for native/drought-tolerant perennials that will not only tolerate sandy soil but will *not* appeal to wildlife. (Zone is designated 9B but winter temps are more in line with 9A.)

While I haven't seen any deer to date, I have noted ground squirrels and rabbits in my yard all summer — yet it's the squirrels I suspect have done most of the damage! (I selected garden center plants this past Spring that were supposedly resistant to rabbits/deer — but no mention was made on the tags about squirrel resistance.)

Here's what I planted, much of which was lost:

Lantana - thinned out by unknown

Autumn Sage - thinned out, initially, and subsequently mowed down by unknown

Freisland Sage - eaten to ground by unknown

Yarrow - nibbled, initially, and then eaten to ground by unknown

Delphinium/Larkspur - Leaves stripped off by unknown (plant died)

Sea lavender - flower/stem removed by unknown (with no regrowth of stem/blooms)

Day lily - nibbled by rabbits

Asiatic lily - potted plant stripped down to stem by unknown (plant died)

Red Hot Pokers - consumed by unknown (after sprouting)

Gladiolus - consumed by squirrels (presumably dug up bulbs)

Gayfeather - consumed by unknown (presumably dug up bulbs)

Chameleon Blueberry Scones - squirrels observed eating flowers

Baby sun rose - thinned out and dug up; rabbits observed eating flowers

Bluebird (Nemesia fruticans) - rabbits observed eating flowers and stems (all of which died)

Gaura - One of three plants eaten to the ground after being fenced to keep out rabbits (squirrel suspected as there are no sign of digging beneath fence)

Pink Muhly Grass - New growth nibbled down and one plant entirely removed *after* being fenced (presumably a squirrel went over the fence)

Here's what I have remaining for this year's gardening efforts:

Buckwheat (CA native)

Lilac (Ceanothus)

Lavender (multiple varieties)

Big Blue (Liriope muscari)

Butterfly weed

Zonal Geranium (in a pot)

Chrysanthemum (in pots)

Osteospermum (oddly, however, most of them abruptly browned and died after a rain a few weeks back)

Blackberry

Blueberry

Boysenberry

With respect to the plants I lost to rabbits/squirrels, I am confused insofar as I was under the impression that a number of them are undesirable, if not toxic, to wildlife (i.e. the larkspur). Next Spring I am going to give it another shot — but I want to be more selective about what I plant that will contribute to a casual country garden aesthetic — minus the buffet for hungry critters!

Insights are much appreciated! :-)

Comments (4)