SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kim_thirion

Water is coming in under my enclosed garage wall. Help!

Kim Thirion
5 years ago
We bought our house a year ago with an enclosed garage. Where the garage door used to be, is a wall with a window. Our house is concrete block, but this wall is made of something else- wood? I don’t know.
Important info: I live in Florida where we get torrential downpours almost every afternoon in the summer, but don’t usually last long. The problem is it dumps so much rain, in such a short time span that water pools quickly. It doesn’t last long and absorbs quickly enough most of the time.

Also important: my yard is on a slant- the front left being high ground and diagonally slopes downward toward the back right corner of the property. So the house acts as a barrier for a lot of this water as it flows past the house and then off into the woods.

A couple months ago, we discovered that the wall where the garage door used to be was leaking water and dirt underneath the wall. We found that the sealant that was in place between the wall and the concrete driveway below was disintegrating, so it was replaced with a black tar-like substance. I can’t remember what it was called. This seemed to fix the problem.

But we’ve realized it’s happening again. Is more likely to be the wall, or perhaps it’s going under the sealant? And how do I keep water from pooling here? I thought about doing a curtain/French drain, which I think would work well considering how slopes the yard is... but with the driveway being in front of this wall, I couldn’t put the drain there, so I’m not sure it would even help this particular problem. Any ideas or suggestions?

The first photo is the inside of the enclosed garage where the dirt and water is coming inside.

The second photo is of the outside (from before we added the sealant).

Comment