SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

How to Propagate Caladium

I just ran across this YouTube video about propagating caladium via cutting of tubers into pieces and thought some here might be interested.

Although I had wondered if something like this method might be possible, I have never actually seen it done nor done it myself. The video has no audio other than music and there is no written explanation/instructions, so it may leave you with a lot of questions.

I think, for me, this is clearly a mid-to-late spring project, as caladium are slowing down and will go completely dormant over the winter. I don't know if there is enough growing season left to get a project like this started now (August). I definitely don't want to manage and protect 25+ small pots from freezing and rotting over the winter. But I may try this on a few of my jumbo bulbs next year.

Have you ever done this... I'm not talking about simple division by popping some pieces of bulbs apart, but actually chopping them up and rooting the pieces as shown in the video? How did it go?

And I wonder, if the pieces will root in the humidity chamber, and then later in pots, why not just plant all of the pieces right into the ground (or container) of their ultimate final location? Would that work, too? That would be a lot less work than managing the entire process shown in the video. Or, I wonder, could you at least skip the "little-pot stage", once they had rooted in the humidity chamber, and plant them out? Hmmm. I'm already looking for shortcuts.

YouTube: How to Propagate Caladiums

Interesting to ponder and try!

Carol in Jacksonville

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm