SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Saga of Fortune's Double Yellow

jacqueline9CA
5 years ago

Yesterday I ventured way back into one of the wilder parts of our garden, to check on Fortune's Double Yellow. We got it from a cutting of a GIANT one in a small park in Ross, CA. Then, I planted it at the bottom of our 60 ft tall Scarlet Oak tree. It grew there, and bloomed, but is was miniaturized, and was growing up the tree about 2 inches per year (first pic below). Then, when the tree had to be taken down 9 (main 3 ft in diameter trunk was attached by fungus, and rotted 2/3rds of the way through 7 feet from the ground), we dug up FDY and planted it in a clearing between some tall trees and bushes. It took off with more light, and by this past Spring had made it up to a rose support which my DH had built there for our ancient Anna Olivier (which is no longer with us). Last 2 pics are it blooming then.

Of course it is not blooming now, but it had sent out more long canes in all directions. I got a ladder and tied the ones which were long enough on to the structure, and pruned back a near by bush (some sort of privet, I think) which was trying to grow on that structure too. I was reminded of the THORNS this rose has! They are curved, and very sharp - my DH calls them "grappling hooks", and they truly are. I see how FDY climbs up trees - it kept grabbing me and trying to grab up me while I was tying it up. Interestingly, there was no die back whatever - probably because it is so old. Now it has made it up to the structure, and about 1-2 feet along the top of it - I hope that over the winter it will grow bigger. There is a large mature privet tree way above it - about 35 feet tall. I am hoping that eventually the FDY will make it up into that tree.

Jackie

Comments (12)