SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Fortune's Double Yellow survived, and is conquering!

jacqueline9CA
7 years ago

Long saga of FDY (entire story posted on Roses Forum) update -

We rooted it from a huge bush in a park, then planted it in full shade at the bottom of an 80 foot oak tree. Oak tree had to come down - dug it up. Re-planted it in a wild part of our garden next to trees and an old tall now empty rose structure, and then the deer ate it almost to nothing. Put a deer cage around it, apologized, fed it. It started to recover.

About 3 weeks ago I noticed that a serious climbing cane had emerged from the soil near the base of the rose - only 4 inches high when I saw it, but had "I am going to climb - watch out!" attitude. When I went to look at it yesterday, that cane was already 4 feet high! My DH has raised the deer cage around it (As our deer are not starving, they do not get down on their knees to eat, so we can just raise up the bottom of the deer cages, and leaves a space at the bottom. My DH uses the strong wire supports for politicians election signs for that - they work great).

Not much to look at yet, but I am so excited - it is reacting to getting more light just as I hoped it would, and my plan is that it will climb into the canopy of the nearby trees and giant (10-12 ft high) bushes, and spread out. Here it is today:

Jackie

Comments (10)