SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_drigotas

Trying to get healthy gourds from a bad idea planting situation!

Teresa Drigotas
5 years ago

So last fall I threw our old jack-o'-lanterns and gourds in the corner of a fence thinking they would decompose. Instead they planted themselves this spring! I was pulling them out by the hundreds but decided to leave some to see if it would really work. Well it did! BUT now they are a hot mess and over growing each other! I have no clue about growing these and have read up a little on them. I also have thrown stuff there for them to climb on. But I have so many questions!! I have some gourds that look like they have been done for the last month or more but the stem hasn't turned brown. Most are just decorative gourds. Also it seems like I get one good one then the others stay as babies. I read to prune the ends but honestly I have no clue which are main vines and so forth! Also I started getting the vine worms so I cut the vines that looked like mush! But do I remove the rest since they don't have their main roots or will the secondary roots still let them produce? I also had some mold spores (probably from them too close together) so I cut most of those leaves out. I'm also trying to keep them away from my little pond I have fish in! Please tell me any tips I need to know to get even some of these gourds to make it to Halloween!

Comment