SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rustacator

From Bad, To Worst, To Down Too Pepper Plant Abuse.

Rusty
11 years ago

Well this pepper season started off great for me this season, Up until a month ago. When I made a bad mistake. Instead of diluting the amount of fertilizer mix I normally use on my 1 ý year old plants in half. I ended up giving my 20 babies â 14â - 24â tallâ the full dose of fertilizer. Well most of us here know what fertilizer burn looks like on the leaves. âÂÂDidnâÂÂt realize it until 2 days laterâ¦..â I decided to get them out of the sun and into some shade and do the routine flush. Well after a week later I was going to give it one more flush then put them back into the sun, but it decided to rain for days straight. Thanks to TS Debby.

Well last week I notice they are getting worse figuring the lack of sun was doing it so I put them back out in the sun without doing a flush figured they got wet enough under the âÂÂnice big orange treeâ¦â that was shading them. Well today I figured I give it another flush and then it hit me. WTF did I do!!! I thought I really done it now they are going to be screwed⦠so I decided to check the ph of top of the soil and put a five gallon bucket under each one I was flushing to check the water ph. And guess what I did wrong⦠NEVER put plants under a citrus treeâ¦.. OMG the top of the soil PH "depending where it was under the tree" was anywhere from 2- 4.5. The fertilizer test strength of most were on the breach of over fertilized and others where well over fertilized. Now for the water ph testing after flush. My normal water is like 7.5 ph and almost all the buckets flushed an average ph of 5.3 except for 1 that had termites living in the bottom of the bucket that one was a 5.9. Well my next step tomorrow when I get back home is to lime powder feed everyone. Now hereâÂÂs where IâÂÂm a newb to this I never raise the ph before in pots or in buckets⦠so my question is how much lime does it take to raise the ph 1 point in a 5 gallon bucket? I was thinking about 1 teaspoon per bucket and check ph every 2 days until I get ph to 6.5 soil and 6.5 - 7.0 water runoff. I would take them out and wash roots and plant in new soil but donâÂÂt have the time or the money to do that right now.

Also another thing I notice is that the soil was more acidic on the side the sun hits the most on the buckets and typically had higher concentrate of fertilizer than the other side.

Anyways any ideas will help a lot like always. And I will get some pictures up tomorrow of the disaster when I get time to take some photographs.

Comments (14)

Sponsored