SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hapinesca

Train dog to stoop biting and getting too excited

Anna Cunningham
5 years ago

I have a smart beautiful German shepherd. He is working hard on our farm protecting the chickens.

I want to train hi to stop giving love bites. He is big and not so gentle. And I want him to stop getting so excited that he knocks everything down, and bumps, or scratches everybody.

He gives love bites on my hand, sometimes to 5 year old where he can get her. At that point I tell him "don't touch" and he stops, but if I were to approach him again in 10 minutes that would happen again. He learns very well but he does not seem to learn that.

He also gets too excited, he is very strong, and honesty because of all the bumpss, scratches and frustration, I started to avoid the poor dog. We put him on a very very long leash, I mean he and chickens have a acre of space to himself so he runs. At night he is with us in the house.

Couple of times a day or if I am working outside I want to let him go so he can be with me, but it is a dreadful chore. As soon as I approach him to take him off his leash, he gives me a strong bite, he would not sit still and make it hard for me to take him off this leash and as soon as he is free, his impulse is to jump on me playfully. This is when I yell loud 'no' and he runs like crazy for 5 minutes. And that would repeat every 10 minutes if I were to put him on and off leash again.

When he is in the house, and I opened the front door, he runs to the door knocking everybody down, and he gets too excited running up and down the stairs and making cyclers. Ou house is small, there is no room, so somebody always gets hurt.

I am sure I can train him, but I need the technique. I have only seen on the internet how to teach puppy not to give love bites, but this is a different case. This dog only does it once he sees you, and then he stops.

Thank you so much!

Comments (6)