SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trinigemini

How to train a scaredy dog to jump a pole?

trinigemini
15 years ago

Tootsie is entered into the Bully olympics. Its a fundraiser for the Bull dog rescue association. Tootsie is a great jumper and shes very athletic for a bulldog. We are trying to get her to jump over a pole for the competition. I figured we should train her a little beforehand. I should say the bully olympics is for bulldogs so they dont expect them to do much....I think they run an inch and do little jumps. The point is my dog can jump....she can jump high....but she is a scaredy dog and she runs from the pole. I have gotten her to jump it a few times....its only about 6 inches off the ground...no problem for this dog who jumps three feet with no problems. Now I won't put a choke collar on her...she is not a show dog and if she never gets it I don't really care....but it would be so cool if she did it. I have gotten her to jump over it a few times but its very unreliable. And treats don't really work as she will ignore the treat if she does not want to do something. I have tried running around the pole in the hopes she will try to cut me off and jump it....and that has actually worked a few times. But I would like her to do it more reliably.....she is getting over her fear I think....she has eaten her treats right by it and played with her toys by it...its just that when I go to start training her she acts afraid. I never hit my dog and she only gets yelled at if shes doing something that can hurt her, I'm not sure where this fear comes from. But she is afraid of lots of things, less so now that we've had her for a few months so she is getting braver....but the olympics is in two weeks. Any ideas? We have been leaving the pole (broomstick) set up when we play so she gets used to it being out there. Any help would be great. Thanks. Oh I also only use a harness on her because she slips out of the regular collars and I won't use a choke. And I can't put the regular collar tighter as that would choke her...she got a thick neck but its all skin so the collar just slides off.

Comments (9)