SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly

Re-doing the front garden

Rosefolly
5 years ago

It will still have lots of roses in it, though not quite so many.

Last week Tom had shoulder replacement surgery, from which he is recovering even better than we had hoped. While he was in the hospital I had three days to admire the hospital's Atrium Garden, which was stunning. It is one of the loveliest gardens I have ever seen. Now that garden has more shade than mine has, a slightly lower temperature, and uses more water than I have to spare, but there were things about it that I can use here at home.

First, and probably the most important part, is a narrow color range. I started out with a color scheme 20 years ago but have since slipped in this and that until these days there is no such things as a color scheme. The atrium garden was about 60% white flowers. It makes the green show up more vividly, which is very cooling. The other flowers are about 20% light to medium blues/purples, and 20% light to medium pinks, no reds, oranges, or yellows. I'm going to do this (mostly) with some exceptions. The main one exception is my Cl Crimson Glory which I got from Jackie, and which is finally taking off for me. I worked to hard to get it going, and I want to keep it. As it is on the outer fence in the background I don't think it will disturb the total effect. I'm also including a few very soft yellows in the form of Cl Lady Hillingdon and Bouquet d'Or, already in place and doing well. Brighter yellows such as 'Moonshine' yarrow will have to go, just too intense. Right now I'm in the process of removing plants. Four of my roses going off to new homes.

The second key part is the addition of dappled shade. In our brilliant California sun, many plants that can take full sun in other parts of the country simply fry here. So-called sun-tolerant hydrangeas are a noted example. So I am introducing a second small shade tree. I already have a decent sized crape myrtle in the corner by the road. I'm adding a Magnolia stellata 'Royal Star' as well. I plan to prune it to an open shape as it grows. It won't add a lot of shade, just a bit, making the ground beneath it lightly dappled. Even at maturity it will be small enough not to come close to the house and be near the roof. There is a third spot where I might add another very small tree in a year or two. Right now it is getting a small white gaura as a placeholder. I had thought of a Korean dogwood but I believe they get too big.

The final element is that I will water it as much as the plants require. I've cut back water elsewhere, but this part of the garden will get about an inch a week. I've taken out enough planting areas that I think I can afford to water this one, not to abundance, but to good health.

Rosefolly

Comments (15)