SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kazmom1

My Kitchen Reveal - YAY!

kazmom
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am finally ready for my kitchen reveal! I tend to be a little wordy so if you are only interested in the pictures feel free to skip down! Most the pictures are in the comments because Houzz won’t let me post them to the actual post.

It took a year of reading, drawing and planning but with the help of an architect, an AWESOME GC and A LOT of advice and rework from the great people on this forum we were able to turn our closed off tiny U shaped kitchen into a wonderful open area where we can all hang out and work without tripping over each other. And we accomplished our main goal, opening it up BUT keeping part of the kitchen (specifically the sink) where it wasn’t visible from the from the front door. Demo started on May 1 and the last major piece was done July 6th. Still have a few punch list items, and we may put In some glass doors in the future, but overall it is done.

Besides expanding the kitchen into the eat-in area we also swapped the sliding door and dining room window, took out another window, extended the stub wall beside the front door and closed in the original kitchen entry in the front hall, to create a more private foyer and hide the sink, fridge and pantry from the front door. We gained a utility closet in the process! We then took out the walls between the kitchen, dining room and living room and raised the 8’ kitchen ceiling to meet the cathedral in the living and dining rooms. We also put wood floors throughout the first floor, on the stairs and on the second floor hallway and replaced the railings and banisters on the stairs.

Given this was a remodel we had to make some compromises and couldn’t work in all the GW “ideals”. That said, we have had as many as 4 people working in the kitchen at the same time and while there is the occasional “excuse me” it has been HEAVEN to have SO. MUCH. SPACE. We love our kitchen so much and I know that I have this group in large part to thank for how well it turned out.

Cabinets are Bertch semi custom, with 1 custom piece. Can’t say enough good things about Bertch! Well made, came quickly, look gorgeous, zero defects or issues. Once small miscommunication on the custom piece (tray cabinet) that the GC is fixing for me. Bertch did exactly what I asked them too, I just didn’t exactly mean what I asked for! We had Bertch cabinets in our old house so I know they will hold up well.

Sink is Blanco Silgranite Performa Super Single. It is the one with the little ledge at the bottom right. Love the sink but if I had to do it over I would get the one without the ledge. Isn’t nearly as handy as I thought it would be And it kept me from getting the offset drain which limits under sink space.

Counter is White Sand granite. We looked at a lot of quartz, quartzite and granite and fell in love with this one. I know it isn’t as “in style” as if we had gone with the quartzite we were eyeing as it has some “speckles” as well as more linear movement, but it is beautiful in person and we love it.

Stove is Bosch Benchmark induction. Dishwasher is also Bosch, fridge is GE and microwave drawer is Sharp. We love the appliances, especially the range, but I wish we had bought the microwave drawer without the handle and put it in a larger cabinet so it could be flush. Live and learn!

On to the pictures! Below are some of the “after” pictures. I will put the befores as well as some of my favorite things and more afters in the comments.

Comments (45)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!