SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24200779

Need info about Ceanothus Thrysifloris Repens

User
5 years ago

A couple years ago I bought a few of these shrubs, and they did VERY well in my garden. But I had misunderstood just what kind of a plant it is; I thought it wouldn't get taller than about 30 cms,and boy was I wrong. I ended up having to shovel prune them; they were way too vigorous for the places I'd put them, and moving them is very chancy. But I was impressed by the way they shaded the soil beneath them,really helping with my out-of-control weed issues, so I'd like to try them again. However this time I want to get more information about them in advance so I will place them properly. I live in Tuscany, Italy,so it's a warm, Mediterranean climate. How tall should I expect them to get to be? How wide? I know they can take pruning. I'd like to plant them amonst mature climbing roses ,to act as a natural mulch/groundcover.How much space should I leave betwee the ceanothus and the roses? How much space betweeen the ceanothus plants themselves?This needn't be a permanent planting, either. It will be fine by me if they just "hold the fort" for me against the weeds for a few years; I might choose to replace them with perennials or some such. The roses are very, very big and vigorous (7 meters x7, 3meters x3, etc.) so I'm not too concerned about them being over-run. The old ones didn't seem to bother the mature roses, though I think they really did bother some young plants, but this area is all mature ones.

Thanks so much in advance for any help or comments.

Comments (17)