SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bostonoak

Can I cap disconnected bathroom sink pipe?

bostonoak
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I currently have a clog in my kitchen sink. This is the first time I've had a clog in any sink. I wonder whether it's due to the fact that 19 months ago I got a garbage disposal installed.

Anyway, a plumber will be coming to my place soon to fix the kitchen sink clog.

Directly on the other side of the wall from my kitchen sink is my bathroom sink. This sink is disconnected right now because I have to replace the undermount sink bowl since it's cracked. The problem is that whenever I run water in the kitchen sink for a certain period of time the water flows over the top of the disconnected bathroom sink, and pours into the cabinet which is why I have the stainless steel bowl under the piping (see photo below).

At Home Depot they sold me this cap which I can use after I remove the black pipe (again, see the photo). In other words, the cap will screw onto the top of the white pipe that is under the black pipe in the photo.

My question is if I cap this white pipe will it cause any problems? I ask because I do not know whether the piping needs an air outlet. The cap will only be temporary. It will be on only until I get a plumber to connect the piping to the new sink bowl. I presume if I screw on the cap the water from my kitchen sink will back up onto the kitchen sink? If so, this is better than having the water spill into the bathroom sink cabinet.

I will highly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Comments (2)