SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_joeright

John Deere L120 Lawn Tractor PTO Disengaging and blowing fuse

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My John Deere L120 mower deck shut down while mowing. The engine kept running.

I found a broken wire in the PTO harness connector that clips onto the PTO clutch. i repaired it. I tried to engage the mower deck again and it would run for 2 or 3 seconds and then stop again.

I found the 20 Amp fuse blown beside the ignition solenoid. I have had this fuse blow periodically on engine shut down this summer and found that if I pull the fuse and then shut down I can put the fuse back in and restart the engine without blowing the fuse.

Once the PTO stopped after repairing the connector I realized that the fuse blows when I engage the mower deck/PTO.

I replaced the ignition, the relay by the engine starting Solenoid, the PTO Switch, the seat switch and the entire harness running to the clutch with new John Deere parts. There is no change. I can start the engine but when I engage the mower deck it runs for a couple seconds and then blows the fuse and disengages the PTO.

I am not sure what other wiring and or electrical parts to look for. From what I read, it could be wiring inside the clutch. Anybody have an idea on where to head next?

Comments (7)