SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doraalg

My sink odyssey must end!

A G
5 years ago

First, thank you!

Full kitchen remodel. Based on feedback from several supply stores, settled on Franke, Elkay, and Blanco as stainless steel sink options as the professionals indicated these companies source steel from Canada, US, and Europe only (assume that is true). I did not see anything I liked in Franke or Blanco so settled on Elkay based on feedback and aesthetic preference.

1. Found two Elkay sinks I like at a plumbing supply source. Someone who works there suggested there was no difference between their sinks and those at Home Depot, just more limited selection at Home Depot. So, I checked Home Depot, found both sinks, they say they are 18 gauge and 304 steel, for a combined nearly $500 less. If it is the same Elkay dimensions and product line at plumbing supply and Home Depot, are they the same sinks? I had fully intended to purchase at the plumbing supply . . . . they have spent time with me and are commissioned but with the $ I am spending, saving $500 means a lot . . . . and they mentioned it.

2. Is Elkay the same quality it has been in the past? I am reading some posts about rust spots on sinks out of the box and saw one in a store display that looked to have small fish-eye blue and purple circles all over it.

3. The plumbing supply rep also suggested that Elkay Lustertone is not what it once was, is basically treated (by Elkay) the same as the Elkay Gourmet line now, and has a problem with showing water spots that are difficult to remove. Anyone familiar with that?

4. I know I do not want stainless sourced from Taiwan, Korea, China . . . basically anywhere other than US, Canada, or Europe. Is there someone else I should be looking at?

I am paying a fortune for the kitchen and the last thing I want is to put it all together, including expensive quartz counter tops cut to fit a specific sink, and then have a problem with the sink. I know what I want functionally, two bowls, one about 7.5 to 8" deep, the other larger front to back and 9 or 10" deep. I just cannot deal with a problem. And, I understand Elkay is discontinuing a lot of sinks right now and suspect those are the ones landing at home depot. So replacing it if there is an issue could be a problem.

Thanks for helping this stressed lady make the right decision!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!