SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Longest Blooming Daylilies 2018

shive
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

What were your longest blooming daylilies this season? Give us specific details and add photos to get more comments and replies.

My longest continuously blooming daylily will likely be Victorian Garden Heaven's Applause. It was the first daylily to start blooming here on May 17, and it has bloomed every day since then, ending its bloom yesterday. That's 61 days of continuous bloom. Here are the beginning and ending photos.

I have several others with instant rebloom that will be blooming for awhile. I'll add the info on those when they finish blooming.

Debra

Comments (30)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    5 years ago

Right off hand I'd say Mary's Baby, Honkie Tonk Barbie, Audrey Elaine Mccullough. They started in June and will finish probably in the next few days. I took a picture of Audrey Elaine Mccullough June 6th, so at least from then until now on her. There may be one or two others if they pop up rebloom scapes as they have done in years past...............Maryl

• Nancy 6b
    5 years ago

I am on my phone, so no picture, it is not blooming today, but an oldie, Isaac, has been my longest bloomer. I don't have exact dates, but started the last week of May. It still has a few buds but not blooming today. It always blooms this way, not a tremendous number of buds, although one year I counted 39 on a couple of scapes. It is a large clump, but never makes a huge statement, not a lot of blooms in a day, but a few every day. Still, I guess it is a bud builder. One year I looked at it and saw 3 or 4 buds left, they bloomed and it kept on blooming. I checked again and it still had bus, and that continued for quite a while.

• Related Discussions

Longest Blooming Daylilies

Q

Comments (1)
    Type a search for "longest blooming daylilies". There was one on July 28th 2010 and one on November 10th 2012, both threads started by Debra (shive). You can type a search topic, ie "longest blooming daylilies", into the search blank at the top of the page and find most things you are looking for there. Welcome to the forum. kay
    ...See More

Longest blooming for a beginner

Q

Comments (3)
    Both of your blooms are quite lovely. I don't know if you have been able to find Pink Denim or not, and while I am not yet ready to pare down my clump of them , I will eventually do so and, at that time, I could send you a start of it. kay
    ...See More

I daylilies 2018

Q

Comments (30)
    urchinsushi, longest bloom time really varies. Each daylily has a region it does best in and this is a baseline but not always a guarantee. Some like constant full sun, some like some shade and the amount of blooms or season depends on that. Some rebloom extending blooms season but you can't depend on them reblooming. The more north you are the less likely. I've had some that did terrible in one part of the yard and great in another and there seems to be no reason why. I've traded for good bloomers from other and had them do well, other times not. The best way to have them bloom them all summer would be to have a variety based on bloom times. They have different bloom times, extra early, early, early-mid, mid, mid-late, late and extra late.
    ...See More

M daylilies 2018

Q

Comments (55)
    Mighty Heart --nice bright color, but we'll see Mister Bubbles --okay this past year; short Macao --vigorous older Munson; looked good in 2017 Man of Sorrows --nice display in 2017; clump strength now Makayla Janelle --nice Boatwright Memphis --so very nice, but slow multiplier Magic Amethyst --slow grower and not always perfect Message of Love --not so bright in reality. Some pictures always flatter reality. Morning Mood --shorter Moon Twilight --older Munson that is nice
    ...See More
  • shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Maryl - It's good to know Mary's Baby is a long bloomer. Between your info on long bloom time and clump photos from you and Mantis, I think I must add that one.

Nancy - It does sound like Isaac is a bud builder. Maybe you could add the photo later. Vict. Gard. Heaven's Applause had scapes came up a few at a time, and then two instant rebloom scapes. It was more a crescendo than a clump scene.

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

It’s too early for me to give specifics yet but right now I have two contenders. Moonlit Masquerade is at 7 weeks and almost done. Chorus Line is second right now at 5 weeks with more to go. Anzac is almost done at 4 weeks. Earlybird Cardinal is at 4 weeks with rebloom scapes just starting this week

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

It's too early for me to tell as well. I have several that have one month or so. Becky Lynn is still going and it has been 40 days. It looks like Sears Tower might be in the running again, though being a late it is too soon to tell. If you count split seasons, Strawberry Candy is just putting up a scape but it was done on the 7th. Belle Isle Sentry will most likely rebloom [my only really faithful rebloomer] in a month or so and add to what it already did.

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lillian's Thin Ice had its last bloom today. The ffo was on June 3, so it bloomed for 46 days, or more than six weeks.

Debra

• nat4b
    5 years ago

Lilian's Thin Ice is gorgeous!!

Not sure about mine, the season is short here in any case and this year bud count is pathetic, i have a lot with just 2-3 buds per scape :s Lots of scapes though :D

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

nat - Sorry to hear you have so many with poor bud counts. I didn't have any with three buds this time. But Last Snowflake only had four per scape.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Abilene Lillian bloomed much longer this year than it has the previous two seasons, for 40 days.

• signet_gw(6b)
    5 years ago

Gawd, I must be so unorganized. Do you folks keep journals and write all this stuff down. I have no clue who bloomed when ( although I could probably figure that out if I checked the dates on the photos I took) but I just don't have the ambition to do that It is all I can do to take the time to take the photos . Sorry Folks . Far too many daylilies here to even think about counting buds ......My husband says I suffer from Squirrel Syndrome. Maybe that is why I cant get it together to do it .

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

signet - Squirrel Syndrome LOL! I do photograph most of my daylilies when they have their ffo. Those that bloom a long time, I also photograph the last bloom, so I have those dates on the photos. As for counting buds, I don't count buds on all my daylilies - I just notice the ones with good lateral branching and count those. Or I notice the ones with very low bud counts because it makes me mad. LOL

Debra

• organic_kitten
    5 years ago

Well, it isn't fancy, but Citrix started blooming on May 8th and bloomed it's last one (maybe) yesterday on July 18. It is a bloom builder and a multiple re-bloomer. It is a favorite of mine and has been almost from the first named daylilies I bought in 2008.

!0 weeks...wow!

Purple Honey Creeper Started blooming May 19th. It is a serial re-bloomer and bloomed its last one today: I think that is 11 days less than Citrix

Half Moon Key. 37 days and it is still blooming on rebloom scapes

We will try this...probably won't work

kay

• organic_kitten
    5 years ago

Well, it did.work. Sweet Isabella was a first year plant, but she bloomed for7 week.s, from 5/25 to mid July.

But my season is so long, that it is probably easier for them to bloom long periods. I start in April, and it looks as if there will still be blooms in August.

kay

• DaveinVA (7a)
    5 years ago

Well my collection is small and I count all my blooms every day, and enter the number for each variety into an Excel spread sheet. I love having that "picture" of what's happening in my garden. Since 2015, when I started keeping the spread sheets, the largest number of days in bloom I've had (twice) was been 41 days, That's total days with at least one bloom, not necessarily continuous. However, the season is not over yet. My efforts to extend it on the "back end" have born some fruit - two cultivars had their FFOs today (sorry, no pic's). One of the two record holders, Burning Daylight, is at 25 days and counting with quite a few buds left. The other is Pardon Me, which has been in its current spot since 2006. I knew nothing about daylilies when I planted it. It was just a flower to me - my wife brought home three daylilies so I planted them. I should probably think about dividing them, no?

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kay - "Purple Honey Creeper is a serial re-bloomer." I love the way you described that! It has done very well. And I'm impressed with your Sweet Isabela. It's a stunner and a performer!

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Dave - It sounds like you are meticulous record keeper. Your method does give you a good idea of your season, and gives you hard data with which to compare seasons.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    5 years ago

Debra, Sweet Isabella is a bud builder as well as a re-bloomer...and this is her first year, so I look forward to seeing what she does. Purple Honey Creeper has always done this....I have no clue why but one set of blooms is never finished until the next one starts...and I noticed that there is one more bloom still to go on it, so it wasn't quite through.

kay

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Dancing Flamingo had its last flower today. It started blooming on May 31, and has bloomed continuously since then for 60 days. It didn't have a lot of buds - 15 on the best scape. But it did have instant rebloom on three scapes. Every flower looked good, and the blooms were always open flat at the crack of dawn. Great plant!

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

Update: VT Autumn Fires will be the champ--it has been blooming since July 1 and has another week or 2 left. Celeste always calls it a blooming machine. This is only its first year here with just 2 scapes. I can't wait to see what the future holds!

Sears Tower has its last flower today, and it had 51 days. I have 2 at 35-So Lovely and a noid. The rest of the good ones are around 30, and there are a lot of these. Even if Belle Isle Sentry reblooms, it won't be able to beat either of these because it always gets cut off by the frost.

Forget what I said in my previous post about Becky Lynn. Math is not my strong point.

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Brad - VT Autumn Fires sounds like a winner. It's an orange, isn't it?

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

Yes it is orange and I've tried to post it 3x and froze the computer. The issue is not fixed, HOUZZ!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: it didn't post yet again. Here's a link to the previous posting. Not the best picture; I have better and so does Celeste. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/a-wet-and-humid-sunday-dsvw-vd~5375684?n=10

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Brad - Thanks for the link. VT Autumn Fires is a nice one. I like the gold edge on it!

Debra

• jpm995
    5 years ago

I bought a daylily called Witches Hand in early May. It's bloomed from day one with only a 5 day break and is still going strong on Aug 24. It has 2 open flowers and at least 5 more buds. It's a red/yellow spider. I have about 8 other daylillies and none have even come close to this. Tried to get another [Bayport Flower House on LI] but they had none left. It's a Trophy Taker so i'm pretty sure i'll be able to get another next season. It's not even in my most sunny location.

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

jpm - It sounds like you got lucky with Witch's Hand. It has bloomed for a really long time.

Debra

• jpm995
    5 years ago

Its amazing i've had a lot of daylillies but nothing like this. Hope it preforms well in season two. Always liked the spider flower form to. Most everything in my gardens is fading [lily black beauty just dropped its last flower, some hostas are still blooming and new crape myrtles are amazing] Until the asters bloom and my rose comes back the weeds are the main attractions.

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

Final count Winner: VT Autumn Fires bloomed 2 months and 2 days. It is as Celeste said: a blooming machine. And this was its first year.

I'm done for the year unless Belle Isle Sentry reblooms.

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Looking back at the season, I realized that Grandma's Smile was actually my longest blooming daylily. From the first bloom on June 8 to the last rebloom flower on Aug. 28 was 75 days, or more than 11 weeks! And there were only three days between when the original blooms ended and the rebloom scapes started. It was also the best budded of my pinks this year, with 14-16 buds on the original scapes and 16-17 buds on the reblooms scapes.

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

Wow, that's a lot! I've now got 2 scapes on Belle Isle Sentry; if they could bloom it would hold the year's record for sure, but it is so late in the year I'll be lucky to get a couple of flowers, especially since we just went from July like weather to November type weather and they say it will be this way for the foreseeable future.

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Brad - I know what you mean about those late rebloom scapes. I have two daylilies with scapes getting ready to start - Sweeten Creek and Marietta Heartbeat. But with night temps so low and less sun this time of year, I don't know if the blooms will be able to open.

Debra